Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

PT-AE4000 Calibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumalkin

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: PT-AE4000 Calibration Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,
I own this projector since November and going to get x-rite display 2 meter soon.
I found controls mentioned in the guide for dummies (contrast/brightness for each color), but I also see there more "advanced" controls - Gamma can be adjusted in -8+ range in 3 ranges (high/mid/low) in simple mode, or using curves (similar to photoshop) in y/r/g/b channels (each curve can have up to 9 points).
Can someone explain what calibration workflow should be for calibrating using those settings and ColorHFCR software ?

If I understand what those curves do, I have to project calibration images at each IRE and color (white/r/g/b), and move point in the corresponding gamma curve (y/r/g/b) so meter meters right IRE (if we take Graph 1 (luminance ) from the guide - I have to move all curve points in the projector up, till yellow measured line lies over "target" white line) ?
And to repeat it for every channel.

Does order matter ? Does the hint to leave green "as-is" applies here as well, or I can/should do it for green channel too ?
As a bonus question - what Gamma simple adjustment does (high/mid/low). I don't understand how it can replace need to do brightness/contrast adjustments of color channels.
Thanks
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have HCFR so I can't tell you what to do using that software. All you should need to do for adjusting your gamma, whether high/mid/low or with the RGB curve tool is to display grayscale images, since red, green, and blue are mixed to produce gray or white. Using the curve tool for each color, once each color is on your chosen target gamma, the grayscale should have dropped into place at the same time. Since they set the lower and upper limits of your display's light output, you'll need to correctly set contrast and brightness using those controls before beginning to adjust gamma.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have to set brightness/contrast as described in guide, then measure and correct each color (r/g/b), without touching the Y channel ? Or changing the Y is essentially the same as changing brightness/contrast - but more precise method ?
May be after I get the meter and see how changes in settings influence metered values it will become clearer. Sad

Essentially I want to repeat the calibration process the guy did here: http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-PT-AE4000-LCD-Projector-Review.html. I guess my meter will not be so precise as his, but nonetheless I think it will improve color rendition.
Basically I assume projector out-of-the-box is already calibrated good enough, but I project on non-ideal surface, and lamp ages - I just want to compensate those factors.
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Y is the sum of all 3 colors, so getting each color's gamma right will also make the overall gamma correct. It sounds like the high/mid low controls move red green and blue up or down together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: