Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Just Built my First HCFR probe and Love it! Blend Pics too!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Just Built my First HCFR probe and Love it! Blend Pics too! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Guy's the HCFR probe is done. I built one so far and profiled it to my i1 Pro. Seems to be working fairly well. Tracks consistently, just about a little less than the i1 pro itself, but the i1 Pro is much slower in the low IRE's. so for quick work or for getting it rough on the low end its great. I'll use the i1 Pro to touch things up when all i need to work on is the low end. In the HCFR program you can select which sensor will do the readings or both. I tested each one and found one did not read ell under 20 ire or not at all. So i will have to figure out which one it is and replace it. I figure i should test each one and find the best matching set. Lots of work for that though.
the new TAOS chip is the TCS3200 and no one has them! I called TAOS and they had some to spare so I bought direct. 24 of them just to have them around and try to match them.

I am really am glad i built it. it was fun learning it and figuring out some other things.
There is anew Frmware for it 5.40 that can not be programed with the new programer i have. So i went to the web site and found it can be updated with the HCFR probe updater in the tool menu. Great! Only thing is there is no Tools menu! But thank god i have a mac and the mac version of HCFR has this updater tool. So i used that . I needed it because it would not work with the XP emulation program Parallels . So now all is well!

So i ran a calibration on my right PJ to get a bit closer to the left. And next i will run more calibration on the left and I think it will be perfect. This is honestly the best i have seen this set up. Still needs some work but now I can watch and not be too bothers with the few scenes the blend is visible. in either dark side pans or extream bright white scenes.

But here are pics of the probe. I originally bought the square case but realized it wont fit unless i hack off a corner. but i tried it anyhow and it still will work just not protect the innards as well.

Now some pics. The typical Fifth Element shots.

This next shot i always saw the blend zone, not now ! ;D

And this one I love as it shows so much more detail after a proper calibration.
Getting a proper calibration on a CRT PJ is the singe biggest upgrade you can do.
I wish i would have used the Lumagens long time ago. i had them just sitting there and thought i could dial in these Longbows via the normal G2 and Drive method. But these have a blue Dip not hump. so no defocusing here. i can actually keep blue sharp and get good whites using the Lumagens 11 point greyscale and gamma and the Primaries Gamut control.

I love the Lumagen HDQ's!! Wish i could afford two Radiance's Wink

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work ! Smile
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look amazing Nash. Great job! Thumbs Up I love how the entire IRE scale is represented.

All the adjustment hours, all the studying, all the mods and upgrades...when did you find time to sleep? I get tired just READING all the things you've been up to! Laughing

A fine job by any standards!

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, your set up is so good it shows a stage hand in the picture I never saw before. [pic 3]

How'd that get by the post production crew,and me for all these years?

On the off chance you don't know I'm joking Ha Ha Wink

http://www.hulu.com/firefly

Last edited by dturco on Mon May 24, 2010 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i never noticed him either Wink

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that guy looks quite a bit like Nash himself! Laughing You Photoshop yourself in there Nash? Mr. Green

Yeah I saw that dude too last night when I looked at the pix and pointed it out to my wife...who apparently could give a rats patootie about such things. Laughing

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome screen shots! Amazing that it is coming from a 13' screen!!! Blending perfection!

What gamma did you end up using, and did you play with different values?
Also, how "quick" was your sensor and how stable was is at low levels. Could you get stability at 10IRE?

Thanks,
Bob
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boilermaker wrote:
Awesome screen shots! Amazing that it is coming from a 13' screen!!! Blending perfection!

What gamma did you end up using, and did you play with different values?
Also, how "quick" was your sensor and how stable was is at low levels. Could you get stability at 10IRE?

Thanks,
Bob

Only utilizing 12 feet for now. did not feel like moving the PJ's when i got the new screen. Plan is to go 13' when i switch to 9 " tubes.

The 10 IRE RGB tracking is not that great but neither is any other Probes. You really only use the Y value to match gamma that low. I did the RGB by eye for 10 IRE.

The probe I built for you showed better uniformity between the two sensors. its in the Smaller black box that i had to hack a corner out of for it to fit. Still works the same though Wink

Did a coupe hours testing it last night and building the calibration file against my i1 Pro. After it tracked almost perfect to the i1 Pro in the RGBW CIE chart.

Athanasios

I made a little decal for your probe too. Wink

One Smart Dog!!!

JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:

I made a little decal for your probe too. Wink

OK...that's IT Nash!...what the hell are you taking for vitamins and where can I get some! Twisted Evil Mr. Green

Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Only utilizing 12 feet for now.

Only 12 ft!!!

Thanks a bunch - I can't wait to play.

Bob[/quote]
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
OK...that's IT Nash!...what the hell are you taking for vitamins and where can I get some! Twisted Evil Mr. Green

No wife + no kids == a whole lot more spare time, energy, & money than I have!! And no WAF issues!
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
JustGreg wrote:

No wife + no kids == a whole lot more spare time, energy, & money than I have!! And no WAF issues!

Gary you MIND READER!!!

I was going to respond with that but I didn't want to rub it in to the Ball and Chain guys.

But I am married to my restaurant so its about the same, except my ball and chain gives me money doesn't take it Wink

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have an HCFR Probe too, and with the help of Benny (Russ) we made a calibration file for the XG LC or G70.

Let me know if anyone wants it (actually, if you search here you will find it, I posted the attachments a few years back).
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, that would be a big help.

I still dont understand how that can really be accurate though. I understand it works fairly well but I think the best calibration of the probe is to measure it against i1 pro or better probe to the display you actually want to calibrate. So if you knew some one who has a nice spectro meter probe its the best way to do it. or if the display your profiling it to has the primaries and whit dead on when measured with say the i1 pro and then you take those readings for the Y value and add them to the calibration table. There is another what i have not tried yet and that is the Simultaneous measures with a reference Probe. it actually takes the measurements from the reference probe and the HCFR probe together. I am not sure then if you or it automatically builds the matrix for the HCFR probe.
I think that is the best way where then anyone can use that calibration file for any display.

I sent Bob his out yesterday so we'll see how well it works on his XG LC's.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we did create the calibration file using Colorfacts, with an Eye One as the reference.

I think we manually put the values from Colorfacts in the matrix, but I can't remember exactly, and the result is the same as simultaneous measurements.

The one weakness of the HCFR probe is it needs a calibration curve for each display.

But overall the calibration before and after using the calibration curve, was not visibly different to my eye.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bob I am dying to know how the probe is working if you figured out how to use the calibration File I sent or if you used the 6pg one in the HCFR program like Gary did when he was at your place last.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Can you attach your file for the HCFR probe. Athanasios, do want me to send you the file I'm using? DIdn't you make a file?

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
Mark,

Can you attach your file for the HCFR probe. Athanasios, do want me to send you the file I'm using? DIdn't you make a file?

I made a file walt with my i1 Pro. I made it after I calibrated the marquee with the i1 Pro and used the lumagen to correct the primaries. its pretty close to REC709 primaries and White.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you send it to me, I'd like to check it against the one I'm using now the next time I do a white check.
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So Bob I am dying to know how the probe is working if you figured out how to use the calibration File I sent or if you used the 6pg one in the HCFR program like Gary did when he was at your place last.

Sorry to take so long in getting back, but I've had a busy week. Today was going to be my day to get a perfect calibration on both XGLC's, but I have bad news and good news.

The good news is that your probe is super. I first did a baseline for gamma, grayscale and CIE on the right projector and it was very close to what Gary and I had done a couple of months ago. I found that your probe was not only accurate, it was fast. Even at 10IRE I was getting repeatable readings with updates about every 10 seconds or so. Super!

The bad news is that when I started to make changes to the LUT's on my right VideoEq, it would not respond. I kept getting error messages that it could not read the VideoEq. When I tried to make changes, it would not accept them.

I hooked my pc up to the left VideoEq, and it worked fine. I shut off the power, rebooted my pc and even upgraded the firmware to the latest and still had the problem.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to re-initialize the VideoEq (after recording the LUT's!) and hopefully that will work. If not, I'll call the good people at Spectracal on Monday for help.

Damn - This is frustrating!

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: