Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Just borrowed a Spyder 3 pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerryyf

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Rolls-Royce wrote:
kal wrote:
Rolls-Royce wrote:
Personally, I'm not crazy about the Spyder meters. I've had two original Spyders, both purchased brand new, and both resulted in a noticeable red tint on grayscale ramp patterns.

You guys need to read my FAQ: Which meter is right for me? about Spyder meters in general. They're not at all calibrated at the factory. I wouldn't waste my time on them.

Kal

Hi, Kal. My ownership/use and resulting mistrust of the Spyders was years ago, long before your FAQ was published. I was just letting gerryyf know what I think from my experience with them. Smile

Kal, just read your article and combined with my recent experience, you've made a believer in me. I am going to order an Eye One Display LT and give it another go.

Thanks for your additional advice Royce!
Glomby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Spyder 3 Pro as well and having problems with HCFR. Can someone send me the older .dll files which work with HCFR?
Glomby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems impossible to get the older .dll so is there any other good freeware software which is comparable to hcfr?

and how can i calibrate the spyder 3 itself best? I will get another sensor (a much more expensive one) to calibrate the spyder but how do you do this?
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not a SpectraCAL enhanced Sypder 3 to begin with, I don't know if your going to have much luck. They hand pick only the ones that are capable of being consistent enough to calibrate. I would contact them about seeing if yours can be calibrated. They have a full lab to do so.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its not a SpectraCAL one. So is it the sensor which can be good or bad? I thought it's just sometimes good and sometimes bad calibrated but you can fix it when you calibrate yourself.

How can they check if its a good one? I meen when it's possible to check this i would give it a try and when it's bad i'll give it back.
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the sensor itself. Some are just not capable of being calibrated. In addition, the Sypder 3 cannot store a calibration on board. SpectraCAL calibrates it and then keeps the cal data web based, so that the Calman software can access the file over the web. The only way I know of to check is to have SpectraCAL take a look at it in their cal lab. If it can be calibrated, it is a very accurate meter for the money. I wouldn't use it until it's caled though.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work with HCFR. And in HCFR there is a way to calibrate it to a reference probe like the i1Pro, i think that is the best Spectro Probe HCFR supports. I do not have the drivers for it , but you could go to the french HCFR forum and use google translate to search for it there. HCFR is still a good program for being free and I have used Calman and compared calibrations and its not to bad . Calman is much more precise and geared toward more the pro or the true enthusiast , but for free you can't beat HCFR.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Glomby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works now with HCFR. I've tested it with my plasma display on which i'm using calibrated settings from someone with an I1Display2. The greyscale it captures looks not very bad i think:

But i have the chance to get the I1DISPLAY2 instead of the Spyder3, so you think it's better to use the I1?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both Tri Stimulus meters that have filters. the filters degrade and change color or tint over time . its be best to find someone with an i1 Pro spectrometer to profile the Spyder to. save that file and every so often make another profile when you can get a hold of the i1 Pro again.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Glomby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i will calibrate with a much more expensive sensor (don't know which on) but do you think it's ok to keep the Spyder or should i use a I1 Display2.

I can still exchange the Spyder3 with the I1 Display2, but they are using the same sensor types so it won't make a big difference? When the I1 is the better i will exchange.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with the Spyder 3 but I do have an i1 Display2 and the i1 Pro. And the two make a good combination to have. By profiling the D2 to the Pro you gain the speed of a tri stimulus and get the accuracy of the i1 Pro.

I also have built a few HCFR probes for some here on the forum and you can use the built in profiles in HCFR for your display, or if you get and i1 Pro creat your own profile for it. I still have a couple PCB's to build .

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

nottipiglet

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to get my Spyder3 to work with HCFR. Can someone help? I have copied over an older version of the Spyder3.dll, but it still refuses to initialise, except for the Continuous Measure function.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
meichacker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Spyder3 with HCFR Reply with quote

gerryyf

You mentioned you know how to get it to work. Please share Smile

Thanks,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: