Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Is a Mac Mini an acceptable home theater pc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desideriascott

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Is a Mac Mini an acceptable home theater pc? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looking to add a home theatre pc to my set-up. I love OSX so I would love to use that in my setup, but understand the limitations (front row really sucks). plus I'm sure it's more expensive than just building a media center pc. is it worth it to spend the extra money just to use OSX?
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait for it . . .

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No, not right now. Most of the heavy duty HTPC apps are still Windows based (PowerDVD, etc). Also, I don't think Mac can do Bluray Yet.

edit - Not running them down. I've got one and love it but I don't think it makes a serious HTPC.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a leg missing from the sofa the mac mini is perfect.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's no. Maybe the next release of the Mac Mini could be acceptable home theater pc anyway.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
If you have a leg missing from the sofa the mac mini is perfect.

Nice! Laughing

I'm not a computer building expert, but I think a cheaper and better HTPC can be had by building and using open source type operating systems. It's been some time since I really investigated it though.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
I'm not a computer building expert, but I think a cheaper and better HTPC can be had by building and using open source type operating systems. It's been some time since I really investigated it though.

I'm a Mac guy, but I'd tend to agree with you. However, it all hinges on whether you have the time and inclination to dick around with all that's involved in building a system from scratch and obtaining and installing open source OS and playback components... We're not exactly talking about an evening project... You can spend hours and hours just picking and ordering parts, then weeks (or even months) installing everything and ironing it all out so it works smoothly.

If that's of interest to a guy, then go for it. The advantages are real. But, some aren't willing to put up with the hassle of what a typical HTPC entails on a daily basis, let alone all the stuff you have to do to even get to that point.

What I'm saying is there's a HUGE difference in level-of-effort between building and setting up an open source box versus taking a MacMini out of the box and turning it on.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree. It comes down to functionality, or plug and play. If you have the time and inclination, then building is probably the way to go. If you want plug and play but with limitations, something like a Mac-mini or other off-the-shelf type system is probably best for you. Everyone has their vices. You have to decide what is important to you. Building isn't for everyone, as SC pointed out.

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go fore it
but you should buy that model with nvidia grafik so you get hwa in plex
xbmc live works very well wit that model to

microsoft is fore people who wants headache

if you use a iso from xbmcfreak you can play blurays to
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crabb,
I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't have to be a many hours project. Most people who are buying the components are looking for the best price/performance and spend way to long reviewing the options. I know I spent way to long looking at all of my options, but I am into this. In this day, it doesn't take much to power to run a HTPC. So, buying the products should be fairly straight forward. Also, if you go Linux then you are somewhat limited in your hardware options. The software can take some time, though. Even then, one could be up and running fairly quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: