Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Safely mounting unistrut to joists
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cube

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Safely mounting unistrut to joists Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm trying to mount a Sony 1272 in my basement (roughly 140 lbs). The joists are single 2x10s I think, so it seems like 3/8x4" bolts (as suggested in another thread) would damage the tensile strength of the joists if I drill straight up into them. Would it be safer to drill sideways through the joist further up, say 1/3 from the top? I guess I could attach angle brackets then and bolt the strut into that.

The screen's already mounted with the center between two of the joists, which run perpendicular, so I figured I would run struts parallel to the screen spanning four rows of joist and attach the projector mount to that. Any thoughts? Am I being paranoid?
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4" lag bolts in 2x10's here for at least 2 years now.

Just pre-drill your holes and lubricate the bolts as you HAND turn them in. Otherwise you will snap them...I know...I did it to two of them.
rod

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me qualify this comment by saying I am not a structural engineer.

but, I did speak with an engineer that indicated that the stronger option is to drill horizontal holes thru the 2X10 and use the angle iron. I used 2" aluminum angle iron and 1/2" bolts and lock nuts (ie. with the nylon sleeve inside the nut), and large washers. I also sourced the highest grade bolts. All entirely overkill but for the extra 40 bucks it's worth it to me.

Driving lag bolts vertically into the joists will always have pressure exerted on them and overtime may come loose. Especially if you do not drill the proper size hole. Be careful not to make the hole too big (hence losing the grip), or too tight causing the joist itself to split. I also thought that if the PJ was subjected to horizontal shock (ie someone hitting their head on it) this would also be more stress applied to the lags as opposed to and angle iron setup.

my 165lbs barco has been hanging since 2003.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over-engineered there Rod. That one's not coming down until you want it down

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one thing to always consider when drilling into wood is it's age. If the joists are older than say 10 years there's no way in hell I would drill horizontal holes in it. Look at it this way...you ever see wood age normally with a bow along the spine? Nope...it's always along the widest face because as the wood ages the fibers undergo increasing tension due to loss of moisture. Cracks in old wood are just about always caused by the tensile forces that exist on the OPPOSITE side from the crack. Which side cracks is a crapshoot for the laymen but anybody good with wood can tell you at a glance which side will crack or split...or if it will at all.

You also have dead loads upstairs including unsupported load bearing walls (not supposed to be unsupported but you'd be surprised how many homes were 'modified' over time), non load bearing walls, stoves, refridgerators, marble or ceramic flooring, furniture, etc. etc.

If it makes you feel better just drill through the spines like we all have and then add a length of aircraft cable to the 4 corners and THEN add your plates to anchor those to it. EDIT: as SAFETY BACKUPS NOT FOR MOUNTING!!!!

The only concern I could ever see with hanging a pj was what and how much of a dead load is already on the other side of the real estate location you plan to work with. If you have a Wolf stove or a fridge in the spot...brackets hung horizontally have the potential to hurt integrity more than they would be the safest option IMO. You just have to do what you're doing and research it a bit and then be comfortable with what you settle on.

Personally, I put more time into thinking about a hassle free mount that could be lowered and raised by one person than I did the actual mounting method. Wink

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what if this discussion included joists fabricated with Boise-Cascade I-Joists with rather narrow stiles? The stiles on mine are about 1" to 1-1/4" wide and less than an inch high. The webbing is about 1/4" to 5/8" at best. I'm regretting haven drywalled (and trimmed and painted) the room before I had devised a projector mounting solution.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rod wrote:
I also thought that if the PJ was subjected to horizontal shock (ie someone hitting their head on it) this would also be more stress applied to the lags as opposed to and angle iron setup.

Somebody whackin' their noggin on the projector is going to be such a tiny stress that the lags would never even notice it. For example it would be FAR less than the stress I applied when horsing the projector into its mount.

3/8 x 4" lags, with proper-size holes, in the center of the joists, are much stronger than needed for mounting projectors. I seriously doubt the joists will be weakened enough to do any harm unless you plan to have 10-20 people doing jumping jacks on the floor above.
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
And what if this discussion included joists fabricated with Boise-Cascade I-Joists with rather narrow stiles? The stiles on mine are about 1" to 1-1/4" wide and less than an inch high. The webbing is about 1/4" to 5/8" at best. I'm regretting haven drywalled (and trimmed and painted) the room before I had devised a projector mounting solution.

Wan,

there was a thread on mounting onto these type of I joists about a year or so back.

FWIW (not much Smile) i had to build a 10 foot I-joist to flush out mill work and give my 10 foot drapery a center bracket. even doing it by hand with no real knowledge other than having worked with the beams i managed to build something from which i can do chin ups - and i weigh about the same as a PJ - with no movement at all in the beam. those things are strong.

but at the end of the day Wan, you'll probably have to pull down some drywall...

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so horizontal lags are overkill, lags from the bottom will work (unless you have manufactured I-beams), just be smart in the size hole you pre-drill and use soap on the threads to avoid snapping heads or splitting the joists. Does that about sum it up?

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what 95% of us here have done, and so far no projectors or ceilings have come crashing down. Or if they did, nobody survived to come tell us about it. Laughing
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. A properly drilled lag screw installed in a standard lumber joist probably has a wicked pull-out strength... I don't remember the exact numbers, but for a 5/16" lag, it was something like 250 pounds per inch of threads. So, if you properly drill and install even a 5/16" lag screw with 2" of threads in the center third of a lumber joist, you're talking around 500 pounds of pull-out strength on each screw!!!

Even a G90 is only going to put maybe 60-70 pounds on each of the four mounting points, so you're talking about a safety margin somewhere in the 8x neighborhood... Way WAY safe.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and don't over-torque... That stresses the grain in the wood and reduces pull-out strength. The threads interfacing with the wood makes the strength. Just snug it up and you're good to go.

SC
Cube

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions... I guess drilling into the spines wouldn't be too bad for a 140-lb. projector, but I figured the horizontal method would be the safest for little extra effort. JustGreg's comment surprises me, but I guess I don't know much about the material physics of wood. The house is over 20 years old, so maybe I should have a professional come take a look at the joists and advise.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cube wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions... I guess drilling into the spines wouldn't be too bad for a 140-lb. projector, but I figured the horizontal method would be the safest for little extra effort. JustGreg's comment surprises me, but I guess I don't know much about the material physics of wood. The house is over 20 years old, so maybe I should have a professional come take a look at the joists and advise.

Well I guess you COULD have a 'pro' come and look at it... Rolling Eyes but how do you qualify the pro you choose?...ask for a resume?..ask for references?...ask for proof of insurance? (all of the above if you go that route) If you get a pro HT installer you're going to get more than you need. Their liability for something like a PJ mount DEMANDS they go for overkill at a premium price.

You're overthinking this a tad. I understand you're concerned with someone getting flattened but rest easy...all the replies above are from people who have 'been there, done that', and is sound advice.

Sounds like you don't want to own the responsibility for installing your own mount?...which is OK don't get me wrong. If you aren't comfortable doing it...then don't. That applies to everything we do in this hobby, not just mounts.

My grandfather was a master carpenter and boat builder in New England and taught me alot when I was a kid. I LOVED visiting him as he had old wooden barrels EVERYWHERE just jammed full of nifty stuff. (although most of the time unidentifiable). I sat out all night long many a night while he steamed and shaped planks for Amesbury Skiffs and lobster boats.
Sadly I've forgotten most of the stories of the 'old' days he told me around a fire with the smell of flowers, night dew, and wood smoke adding to the experience. We'd crawl around and get night crawlers with a flashlight and then go fishing early, and then have fish for breakfast...which I missed alot because I ran out of steam and fell asleep. Laughing

Personally, sticking my hands into an energized pj made my butt pucker more than settling on a pj mount. Laughing

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
rod

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree with the vertical lags. you're right, I'm sure you can hang 2-300lbs off of one bolt. What I never was able to determine was what is the proper torgue? the proper hole size? So I simply asked an engineer which was stronger and went with that. I can't remember the reasons but he was definite and he did say either would suffice. I don't see any extra effort with either method really except for drilling holes in angle iron. I had access to a machine shop

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rod wrote:
I don't disagree with the vertical lags. you're right, I'm sure you can hang 2-300lbs off of one bolt. What I never was able to determine was what is the proper torgue? the proper hole size? So I simply asked an engineer which was stronger and went with that. I can't remember the reasons but he was definite and he did say either would suffice. I don't see any extra effort with either method really except for drilling holes in angle iron. I had access to a machine shop

Hey Rod,
I didn't mean to put you in a position where you felt you had to justify anything...that's the problem with this form of commication...even with emoticons; things aren't always received in the same spirit as they were delivered. You just want it to be safe for yourself, family, and friends. I don't blame you one bit.

I wouldn't add any more metal around the thing than you absolutely have to. I'm not well versed on the subject but I remember guys here discussing the magnetic affects different metals can have when in close proximity to the tubes. I didn't follow the subject long enough to tell you what the concensus was.
I personally don't see how it can matter all that much as our pj's were made to sit on a rolling AV cart; which is constructed of serious gauge sheet metal and heavy wall box steel framing. (The one I have is like that anyway).

It's all about having fun and being safe right? Thumbs Up

rod

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Greg, never took it that way at all. As you say, we are not all experts (but sometimes some think they are). This is why threads grow because us "half-bakes" need to challenge the other 'half-bakes". You take from the discussions what you can get - for what you pay. For me that's the whole point of these forums. If you REALLY REALLY want to make sure, hire a structural engineer and have him stamp it. That'll be safest bet, but will cost you more that the PJ is worth Wink

So..... speaking of extra metal (if you are referring to the angel iron) that's why I went to aluminum to reduce the magnetism effect. I did it only because of the slight possibility of magnetic interference AND because I had free source of aluminum AI. but that's a whole other thread on convergence drift (somewhere in these forums) that I'll leave alone.

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my concern is that drilling into the webbing from its edge, something the I-Joist manufacturers would highly disagree with, when the lag bolt's diameter is on the same order of the of the webbing's thickness could potential compromise the structural integrity.

If one looks at the allowances for making changes to the I-Joist's webbing, they do not want anything on its edges, usually within 1/4" of the webbing-stile contact. But using 3-4" long lag bolts would surely project well into the edge of the webbing and a bolt with diameter on the order of the webbing's thickness would act like a saw cut rather than a drill.

I guess I'll need to tear into the ceiling drywall in order to hang something.

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a way to get some 16" 2X10 on hangers between, and perpendicular to, a pair of I-beams? then you have some "real wood" on which to attach the unistrut.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan, I don't think anybody is suggesting you drill through the stiles into the webbing on your engineering joists... This thread is about dimensional lumber. I think you should talk to somebody that knows what they're doing if you're going to tear into your engineered joists.

What I'd probably do is glue some OSB stiffeners onto both sides of the webbing, then through-bolt some lumber or steel members to hang the projector off on some all-thread. Unfortunately, I don't see how you'll be able to do anything without tearing into the ceiling to do it.

No biggie, though.. Drywall is cheap. Find your joists and cut open a nice clean rectangular hole big enough to allow you to do everything you need, then have somebody put a new piece back and re-texture, prime and paint.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: