Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Which Netbook has best video?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helrazr

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
From The Science Channel, SciFi Science Physics of the Impossible this is an .mkv remuxed into an .mpg container so it would play on my HP X280N MediaSmart Connect media player. The Tudors I played off a 4GB USB drive. But at 20MB/s transfer rate off the key, well the first 20 seconds were ok but the video and audio lapsed into a horrible stuttering mess 15 - 20 seconds in. I've copied it to the local hdd and no change. CPU is only 40% - 50% but it is unplayable. I'll try it again once I have imaged this comp. Memory was pegged at 800MB and with 224MB reserved for video memory this jst doesn't cut the mustard. If turning Aero off doesn't fix it I'll try MediaPlayer Classic and K-Lite, but that too will have to wait for tomorrow.:

\Sci.Fi.Science.Physics.of.The.Impossible.08of12.How.to.Build.a.Light.Saber.mpg
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 736 MiB
Duration : 22mn 1s
Overall bit rate : 4 675 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 6 frames
Format_Settings_GOP : M=1, N=11
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 100 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 40.0 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.148
Stream size : 646 MiB (88%)
Writing library : x264 core 80 r1376M 3feaec2
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=8 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=2 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=4100 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.8

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Format_Settings_ModeExtension : CM (complete main)
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 60.5 MiB (8%)

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not leave it as .mkv and download Haali and FFDshow?

What is the video hardware onboard?
helrazr

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the thread I need to capture an image of this unit with it's fresh Windows 7 Professional install. It will be cloned on another 6 units. These will be used by enumerators for an upcoming municipal census in June. Once I have the base image, I will install some codecs. the re-muxed file is pretty much identical in mpeg format as it would be in matroska anyway. In an mpeg container I an play it natively in Windows 7 without any extra codecs as Windows 7 has divx and h.264 native on a fresh install.

The video is Intel UMA500. Supposedly it can handle 1080p playback. Once again, once I have an image for the other units I'll turn off Aero, Windows Search and other memory hogs but right now, with the latest Intel Driver update for Windows 7 via Fujitsu it can't do 720p.

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I just found a really nice Wiki with a bunch of stuff I can test after tomorrow:

http://u-wiki.wikispaces.com/U820

Looks like I need a UMA500 driver update directly from Intel to improve performance. And I have PowerDVD 10 Ultra I can test too.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try KMedia player. I put that on everything.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helrazr wrote:
As I mentioned in the thread I need to capture an image of this unit with it's fresh Windows 7 Professional install. It will be cloned on another 6 units. These will be used by enumerators for an upcoming municipal census in June. Once I have the base image, I will install some codecs. the re-muxed file is pretty much identical in mpeg format as it would be in matroska anyway. In an mpeg container I an play it natively in Windows 7 without any extra codecs as Windows 7 has divx and h.264 native on a fresh install.

The video is Intel UMA500. Supposedly it can handle 1080p playback. Once again, once I have an image for the other units I'll turn off Aero, Windows Search and other memory hogs but right now, with the latest Intel Driver update for Windows 7 via Fujitsu it can't do 720p.

For W7 install only the shark007 codec pack for flawless MKV playback and NOTHING else.

If you are using x64 W7 then install the shark007 x64 package also or it won't work.

This works the best for W7 I have found.
helrazr

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ever try the K-Lite Codec pack with Media Player Classic Home Cinema?

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helrazr wrote:

I used to WANT to get MPCHC to work but once I figured out how to let WMP play everything I decided against additional software.

K-Lite had such a bad rep. from my very early days in HTPC that I have never ventured back there.
helrazr

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with nothing more than a video driver upgrade stright from intel to v2024 for the UMA500 graphics and it is playing 720p vids off the hdd with no problem. Tried to stream off my MediaSmart server and the video is good but the sound is slightly desynched. I'll be checking my shtuff out to see if I have a 1080p vid to test.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helrazr wrote:
Well with nothing more than a video driver upgrade stright from intel to v2024 for the UMA500 graphics and it is playing 720p vids off the hdd with no problem. Tried to stream off my MediaSmart server and the video is good but the sound is slightly desynched. I'll be checking my shtuff out to see if I have a 1080p vid to test.

Can it handle HD flash content or any streaming HD I should say?

Youtube in 1080p?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helrazr wrote:

Did you ever get a chance to test 1080p?

CRT.

HD done right!
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
helrazr wrote:

I used to WANT to get MPCHC to work but once I figured out how to let WMP play everything I decided against additional software.

K-Lite had such a bad rep. from my very early days in HTPC that I have never ventured back there.

Actually, as far as I know, this combo won't play mkv's with DTS sound, at least my Win7/WMC with Shark codec pack won't play HD mkv's with DTS sound...
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:
helrazr wrote:

Actually, as far as I know, this combo won't play mkv's with DTS sound, at least my Win7/WMC with Shark codec pack won't play HD mkv's with DTS sound...

Let me try this...I usually include an AC3 track and never worry about it. I will report back.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Hellrazr you still alive?

CRT.

HD done right!
audioalexander

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using an older Asus eee PC1000HE 10"er for streaming Netflix, and it worked "decently". Sometimes the older N270 Atom processor and Graphics combo would by jittery and the video would studder, but just sometimes. Overall, the pic quality was actually pretty darn good on netflix! I was supprised. I noticed other laptops i used to my PJ's were much less troublesome, however.
Then, the other day, my netbooks AC jack broke, and the laptop was in-operable. I bought an HP 1229DX Dual Core B950 14" laptop that as $350 at Best Buy to replace it. YUK!!!!...the video grapshics and color quality was horrible!!! It was so bad that I returned the laptop - which was a shame, cause it worked really smooth and fast! Indee, much faster than my old Netbook.
I loved everything about the new HP, but could not live with teh Video quality either from it's HDMI out *(big reason I bought the thing, in first place) or the VGA connect.
So I also would like something affordable, compact, with good battery life, etc, that has excellent video quality out to a projector. Would also like to have good speed and power, but not quite as important, as I only check emails, some audio/video forum chat, ebay, and such...then alot of Netflix. Any suggestions also appreaciated. Don't want to pay $1000, or even $800. Do I need an Apple to get great video or something?
Are integrated cards crappy, and dedicated typiically better? The one in the HP was Intel HD graphics (that's all it's listed as).
Either way, I'm staying away from the Intel grapshics if I can help it.
audioalexander

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhow, I've heard that the video graphics playback of the Asus pc1215 (Amd Radeon?) is supossed to be very good for a netbook. Anyone know about the AMD video processors?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an Acer 522 netbook. ATi 6250 grapics, 1280x720 screen, dual core 1Ghz processor, VGA and HDMI out.

Unfortunately it came with the retarded Win7 starter which makes the whole thing useless. Can't set custom resolutions, just 720p and 640x480 Rolling Eyes

One of these days I'll put XP on there.

CRT.

HD done right!
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new AMD APU netbooks will blow away any of the plain jane Intel offerings. The closest competitor would be the ION netbooks but I am pretty sure that the AMD will still win out with accelerated content.

AR - Why do you need custom resolutions? Are you trying to use a netbook to drive your CRT projector?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
The new AMD APU netbooks will blow away any of the plain jane Intel offerings. The closest competitor would be the ION netbooks but I am pretty sure that the AMD will still win out with accelerated content.

AR - Why do you need custom resolutions? Are you trying to use a netbook to drive your CRT projector?

Yep that was the plan. I paid for the cool video card and Winbloze 7 retarder won't let me use it.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: