Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The Official G70 Owners' Thread!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: The Official G70 Owners' Thread! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The Official G70 Owners' Thread!

Hey, fellow G70 owners! I've always wished there was one place with lots of G70 info, so I decided to do something about it. I thought this thread could serve as a centralized resource for all G70-related info: Background info, setup info, tweaks, mods, hacks, or anything else we might all like to know about or discuss.

On many occasions (often when somebody asked about something), I had to go on a 10-minute search looking for that one thread that had the nugget in that I was looking for. So, instead of doing that over and over, I'm making this little spot to store all the links, notes, etc.

Let's try to keep the thread pretty G70-specific. If you have info to share or add, please do. If anything is wrong or missing that should be in the intro posts, please let me know! Otherwise, we can just keep adding to this thread. If this is dumb and nobody sees any need for it, I'll just delete it. Wink

So, without further ado...

G70 Background (from Curt's G70 page):
In 1997 Sony revamped their entire CRT projector line-up from scratch and introduced the G70 intermediate-level projector (along with the lower end D50 and higher end G90 models).

The G70 is Sony's top of the line late model set that uses 8" liquid coupled tubes with EM focus. 110 Khz scan rate (high enough to display anything you can throw at it except 1080p), component input along with the regular video/s-video/RGB inputs. A bright 1200 lumens of light output, digital convergence, and on-screen menus with lots of built-in test patterns.

The G70 is a high performance 8" unit on par with the NEC XG-110LC/XG-135LC and the Zenith 1200/Barco Cine8 Onyx.

Specs
Sony VPH-G70Q/M
- HDTV-capable
- IR Remote
- 28-point Convergence
- Electromagnetic Focus
- Continuously-adjustable CRT/lens angle for excellent alignment and vertical and horizontal focus
CRT Size/Optical setup: 8" LC
Lenses: Delta HD-18
Tubes: Panasonic P16LJE08
Chassis: Digital
Light output: 1200 lumens peak/320 lumens all-white, 240lumens @ fH: 110kHz, fV: 50Hz, 6500K
Contrast: 30,000:1
hScan (kHz): 15-110
vScan (Hz): 38-150
RGB bandwidth: 120MHz-3dB
60-300 Screen Size (inches)
1700X1200p Max Resolution
Inputs: Video, S-Video, RGBHV, Component
Power consumption: VPH-G70Q: 750W, Standby: 7W
Heat dissipation: 2593.4BTU
Weight in Lbs (Kgs): 183 (83)
Dimensions LxWxH inches (mm): 37.75 x 27.25 x 14.125 (948 x 695 x 358)
New Price (USD): $17990

Model Variants
VPH-G70Q - North American
VPH-G70QM - Europe
VPH-G70VR - Simulation model (see below)

About the G70VR
The "VR" in G70VR stands for Virtual Reality, the niche market this machine was marketed to. This special model variant of the G70 included a fast-decay phosphor green tube for better stereoscopic imaging, and sharper USPL Delta HD-134 lenses for higher resolutions and better focus on curved screens, all wrapped in a darker grey case. Because of the niche market, this is a rare machine.

Curt's Layout and Setup Tip and Manual/Download Pages
Curt's G70 Layout and Setup Tips
Curt's G70 Manuals / Downloads

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Threads with G70 Information

General:
How many G70 owners out there? - Poll

Setup:
Signal input and toe in questions
Good post on stig/flare
G70VR adventure, good AKB/ABG discussion
Some of my setup questions, and photos of my mount
Noob getting started
G2, bias, gain confusion
Gull wing Distortion - How to manage it
Geometry trouble
G2, ABG, bias, gain, firmware
*** About G70 astig w/excellent setup info from Craig Rounds

Troubleshooting:
G70 boards - which are prone to fail?
Error code 21
Error code 21 - cracked tube
Error code 23
Error 26 - connect the lens lead!
Error code 30
Error code 30 at 1080p only!
Error code 30 - DC (convergence) board
Error code 33 - HVPS, splitter
Error code 33 - PA board
Error 35 - E-board
Error 35, H. Stop - H-board
Error code 36
Error code 39, ABG/AKB discussion
Error codes 23, 24, 29, 36 - bad NVRAM
Arcing blue tube, bad B-board
Colour uniformity issue
Green Raster Wiggles
Bad geometry? Bad DC board
DC board bad?
Convergence/geometry issue - DC board
No picture, but no errors - PA board
Weird issue: No video...
Noisy, screwy picture - vertical/focus board
Blue V convergence not working, edge focus out
Swapping the B-Board not that simple?
Picture dimming/image softening, sagging PA board
blanking and brightness fluctuation...

Maintenance:
First time swapping a tube out
Blue tube swap (now the H focus is off?) - adjust magnetics

Mods:
JohnHWman fanmod thread on AVS
Fans modded, now having problems, reason not to fan mod

Other Info:
G70 CRT hour counter resets at 10,000 hours
A (very) little G70 history
G70VR HD-134 Lenses
Connecting the remote via cord

G70 Theater Threads:
ecrabb's Theater

Last edited by ecrabb on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added G70VR info and brochure.

SC

Model Description:
Graphics Multiscan Data/Video Projector for Simulation and Virtual Reality Applications

Original MSRP: $15,500

Model Details
Graphics Multiscan data/video projector compatible with Virtual Reality and Simulation applications; new HACC lenses (HD-134) with deep focusing capability for use with curved or spherical screens; extended geometry correction range for use with curved or spherical screens; black cabinet; automatic locking to most computer frequencies (fH: 15-110kHz, fV: 38-150Hz); large signal bandwidth of 120MHz -3dB; universal optical coupling; 8" electromagnetic focus CRT's; axis quadrapole and diagonal quadrapole adjustment circuitry; ANSI lumen brightness output of 200lm (measured at fH: 110kHz, fV: 60Hz, 6500K, 4x3 aspect ratio), 170lm (measured at fH: 15kHz, fV: 60Hz, 6500K, 4x3 aspect ratio); infrared remote control for convergence, setup and operation; high resolution RGB: 1700 x 1200 pixels (measured at fH: 74kHz, fV: 60Hz), video 700 TVL,HDTV 1100 TVL; screen size capability from 60" to 300"(viewable area, measured diagonally).

Features:

• 8" CRTs
  • Projector is designed for 3D, Virtual Reality and Simulation Applications
  • Deep focus area
  • High resolution lenses
  • Extended Geometry Range
  • For use with Curved and Dome Style Screens
  • High Level of Performance
  • Electromagnetic focus with quadrapole beam shaping capability allows for superior beam spot control. Superior beam spot control allows for high-resolution output with extremely sharp focus. Resolution for the VPH-G70VRU is 1700 x 1200 pixels maximum.
  • 1. With universal optical coupling, the lens is attached to the CRT. The enclosed gap is filled with a liquid coolant. This liquid coolant allows the electron beam to be driven harder by cooling the face of the CRT. This results in an increase in brightness. 2. The refractive index of the liquid coolant is very similar to that of glass. Thus, light passes through the enclosed gap with great efficiency. In an air-coupled projector (no enclosed gap filled with coolant) light will disperse as it passes from the face of the CRT to the first lens in the lens assembly. The result of utilizing a liquid coolant is a dramatic increase in contrast due to less light being lost as it passes through the gap. 3. Universal Optical Coupling also facilitates simple set-up and screen size flexibility. Various screen sizes ranging from 60 to 300 inches (viewable area, measured diagonally) can be projected with fine adjustments made independently to the CRT and lens horizontal and vertical angles while observing the image.
  • High bandwidth of 120 MHz permits full transfer of the signal with little or no signal loss for full resolution capability.
    The newly developed CRTs in the VPH-G70VRU accept a high horizontal scan frequency of 110kHz. A 110kHz horizontal scan frequency increases the acceptable input frequency for computer sources to include high-end virtual reality and simulation computers, workstations and CAD/CAM computer output.
  • Optical alignment of the VPH-D70VRU requires no disassembly of the projector. Simply open the upper panel cover, and adjust the lens angle by rotating the horizontal and vertical screws with the supplied adjustment plate. Set- up is extremely simple.
  • The VPH-G70VRU has 50 total memories to be assigned to an input signal, so that the best possible registration and picture control data for each input signal can be memorized. Once the picture control adjustments are made for an input signal, they are retrieved every time that signal is input, greatly reducing set-up time.
  • A Picture Orbiting Function helps prevent CRT burn, which is an inherent phenomenon with CRTs when a still image is projected for a prolonged period of time. In order to lessen this, the system rotates the image at an indistinguishable speed and range.
  • When no signal is input for more than 10 minute, the projector will automatically enter into the POWER SAVING MODE, and the projection image will be muted. As soon as a signal is fed to the projector or any of the control keys are pressed, the projector will resume operation.
    The RS-422A remote interface enables a computer to control the projector operation, allowing for system expansion.
  • A "built-in" index function allows an index number to be assigned to each projector, enabling individual projector control in multi unit applications.
  • When a number of projectors are simultaneously used for a multi-screen display, a cascade or daisy chain connection of the ABL terminal on each projector can be made. Once the ABL activates on a projector, the others will automatically follow, maintaining uniform brightness on the entire screen.
  • With this function, the projector will power up when AC power is supplied. In equipment and presentation rooms where much audio/video equipment is used, this can save valuable time. It is not necessary to push the Power On button for each projector.
  • Polarity changes required for ceiling mounts and rear screen applications call for "under the hood" adjustments. Auto power off is a safety feature that will shut power off any time the polarity change cover is opened.
  • This special function is particularly useful for planetarium applications, when large edgeless screen are appropriate. It will turn off beam current feedback that uses a white line at the upper right hand side of the picture for measuring beam feedback, normally out of the viewable picture range. (ABG is preset to ON and should not be adjusted in most cases.)
  • By viewing the OSD for Screen Type Select, the user can choose the appropriate screen type for the current application. By selecting the current screen type, matte or beaded, the appropriate white balance will automatically be retrieved. (Screen type is preset to BEADED.)
  • CRT: 8" (Phosphor size 6.0 inch), high luminance, optical coupled, electromagnetic focus tubes
  • Projection Lens: Double focus, F1.2/135mm (color purity improved: C element of Red/Green)
  • Screen Coverage: 60 - 300 inches (viewable area, measured diagonally (factory preset 120 inch)
  • Acceptable Screen R: Flat to 2500mm R
  • Acceptable Throw Angle: -2 to +30 degrees
  • Light Output: ANSI 200 lm (110kHz:60Hz, 6500K) ANSI 170 lm (15kHz:60Hz, 6500K) Peak white: 1000 lm, All white: 290 lm
  • Color System: NTSC, PAL, SECAM, NTSC4.43, PAL-M automatically selected
  • Resolution: 700 TV lines (video), 1100TV lines (HDTV) 1700 x 1200 (RGB, measured at fH:74kHz, fV:60Hz)
  • Scanning Frequency: H: 15-110 kHz, V: 38-150 Hz
  • RGB Bandwidth: 120 MHz (-3dB)
  • Test Signals: Cross Hair, Hatch (9x9/17x17) reverse, Dot (9x9), H/H reverse, ME/ME reverse, All white, Window, Window and line, Color bar, Pluge, Stair-step, Sub-pattern, Cross (9x9)
  • Power Requirements: AC 120V, 50/60 Hz* AC 220V to 240V, 50/60 Hz
  • Power Consumption: 750 W, Stand-By 7W
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): 27 3/8 x 14 1/8 x 37 5/16 inches (695 x 358 x 948 mm)
  • Weight: 182 lb. 16 oz (83 kg)

sonyvphg70vr-serie-en.pdf
 Description:
VPH-G70VRU/G70VRM brochure

Download
 Filename:  sonyvphg70vr-serie-en.pdf
 Filesize:  63.93 KB
 Downloaded:  3296 Time(s)

Last edited by ecrabb on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
winduptoy

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

Just opened the machine up, removed the lenses, removed what dust there was and checked tube condition. Did a few screens too, but forgot to check hours...sorry. I've had this for over 2 years now...no issues so far.

View user's photo album (11 photos)
Rusty

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Hampton's G70 setup guide: http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=702029&highlight=focus+g70+brian+hampton
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Ooohhh, I completely forgot about Brian's setup guide. I've been meaning to PM him and ask if I could reformat it. I was thinking about setting the type, adding a few sketches in, and putting it in a nice PDF that's easier to read in the dark.

Thanks for the reminder and link, Rusty!

SC
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contribution. Cage grill mod to reduce fan noise. I recommend complete remove of the cage from the chassis

Original Cage with Fans

Original Cage

Original Cage

Careful what you cut out. I left all guides in place. Dremel tool with small cut off wheels made short work of the grill screen. I used ~10 wheels to complete the project.
Grill Cut Outs

End result. IMO the fan noise reduction was minimal. I wouldn't take the PJ down off the ceiling just to perform this mod. But if you have the chassis apart might as well go the extra mile.
Modified Cage with Fans

Last edited by AFryia on Sat May 15, 2010 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (33 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job!!!!

Damn you Crabb. I just spent the last two hours reading links. Wink

I couldn't bring up Brian's document.

From what I can gather, the DC board is the most common failure. Is this correct Curt? After that, I believe the G70 is pretty damn reliable or am I am missing something.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

From what I can gather, the DC board is the most common failure. Is this correct Curt? After that, I believe the G70 is pretty damn reliable or am I am missing something.

PA board too!

Although easily fixed.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated with some new G70 threads/info and bumped since we have a few new G70 owners lately.

SC
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, great thread. I am now a subscriber Smile

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried quieting them down by deadening the case? I'm not sure it makes sense that it would work, but it might if vibration or resonance were causing the noise. I actually haven't fired mine up and listened to it yet, so...

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G70's are not loud, but quieter is always better. John in France has some fan mods on his web page, but I usually just install a resistor in line with the + for the fan to slow them down a little (22 ohms or less). The G70's were designed to run with stock cooling in 120 degree F environments such as rear projection enclosures. Most home theaters never get nearly that hot so slowing the fans down a little is pretty safe.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the vast majority of the noise is from the fans at the rear of the projector. It's actually a pretty nice design unless you sit right behind the machine...

But, I don't see any reason why you couldn't try deadening the case a little to see if it cuts some noise. The way the case and airflow is designed, I doubt much of any heat is shed through the case, so deadening it a little with a material like Dynamat, B-Quiet, or eDead shouldn't hurt anything at all, and certainly could help... There isn't anything between the fans and the outside save for the solid aluminum shield, the plastic case, and some air. It's another thing I've been meaning to do and just haven't gotten around to it.

I think some kind of an open-cell foam lined exhaust box completely covering the ass end of the projector (but with the end open) would also help tremendously. I had a really light hush box around mine, and by far, most of the noise abatement was the open-cell foam I had at the back of the box, straight out from the exhaust.

SC
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I think the vast majority of the noise is from the fans at the rear of the projector. It's actually a pretty nice design unless you sit right behind the machine...

But, I don't see any reason why you couldn't try deadening the case a little to see if it cuts some noise. The way the case and airflow is designed, I doubt much of any heat is shed through the case, so deadening it a little with a material like Dynamat, B-Quiet, or eDead shouldn't hurt anything at all, and certainly could help... There isn't anything between the fans and the outside save for the solid aluminum shield, the plastic case, and some air. It's another thing I've been meaning to do and just haven't gotten around to it.

I think some kind of an open-cell foam lined exhaust box completely covering the ass end of the projector (but with the end open) would also help tremendously. I had a really light hush box around mine, and by far, most of the noise abatement was the open-cell foam I had at the back of the box, straight out from the exhaust.

SC

I have actually been thinking of doing those exact same ideas on my G90. I want to add Dynamat to the case and build a small hush box for the back exhaust section. I think it would really quiet things down.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
_in_peace_

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard can you drive a G70? I'm using 110Mhz bandwidth on mine. Is it a little to hard perhaps?
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What res are you running?
_in_peace_

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1440 x 810p (72hz)
barcoed

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I run these:

1920x1080p@48 (BD)
1152x864p@75 (PAL)
1280x960p@60 (NTSC)

All look fine to me. HTPC desktop is a tad soft on the first one but movies look fine.
_in_peace_

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! i will try them out!

I wonder also why powerstrip tells me a higher bandwidt when i using porch-adjustments... Or is the rising only in the computer? I really want them but the Mhz then rise up to 135
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: