Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

iRule - The iPhone/iPod touch/iPad remote solution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Sorry, guys! A few open issues in this thread…

garyfritz wrote:
Nash, you will probably have to get the static IP from your ISP. Normally they determine the IP your network presents to the world. Then you'll have to determine how to make your server visible to the world without opening yourself up to attack. Probably you'll set up your router to open up port 80 pointing to your mini.

Gary, you'd need to forward ports other than 80, as the GC hardware gateways use 2-3 different ports. You can forward those multiple ports, but then if you have more than one gateway you're stuck because the GC hardware ports aren't configureable.

Nashou66 wrote:
Yes I have amax mini server, but updated to maverick and dropped the server software as I have no idea how to set this up as a server like I had planed with a static ip address to host photos and maybe a small web site for the Odyssey.

But I want to be able to fire up the marquee and all associated theater equipment from the web so it be ready when I get home form work etc.

You don't need a static IP from your ISP to do what you want. You have a few options: You can run a VPN (some routers will handle this) to allow your iPhone to log in to your LAN remotely, you can run a dynamic DNS client on the Mac mini that will give you a domain that resolves to your ISP dynamic IP (e.g. nashou66.homeip.net), or… iRule has a solution on the way that makes most of this discussion moot. More info soon! Wink

As for hosting, there are so many super-cheap options for hosting, with one-click WordPress installation, it's not worth the hassle of maintaining your own server. Hell, I have hosting I'd give you for next to nothing.

Nashou66 wrote:
Aslo want to get a web based thermostat and some light controls along with the ability to monitor my garage as it opens from time to time from the small airplanes landing at the small buffalo airport up the street. I often come home to an open garage

You need the door opener I just bought last fall. It's a LiftMaster and it has an internet gateway available. It's the easiest network/internet device I've ever set up. It works from anywhere, it's super-easy to install and operate, and the software is excellent. It will even send you push notifications on your phone when the door opens and/or closes! It would be perfect for your application!

I haven't tried to integrate it with iRule yet, but who cares? I'm all for integration, but when a standalone solution is so stellar, and I don't really need integration, then the standalone product is perfectly fine.

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/accessorydetail/9570/liftmaster-internet-gateway/

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
When are you going to have a Window's option?

When somebody writes us a fat check to do it. Wink Seriously, besides the very significant cost of developing, maintaining, and marketing a version for a whole new platform, there's also a opportunity cost. With the hundreds of hours of engineering time it would take to build a version for Windows, what other features and enhancements could we apply to the iOS and Android versions? Windows would be a tough sell at this point unless somebody were willing to invest some money.

Spanky Ham wrote:
In the other thread, you mention world domination. Smile I was in Home Depot and I saw a door lock that you could open with your phone. Absolutely cool, as I have already locked myself out a couple of times. Last time, I had to repel down the side of the building to my balcony to get in. I am all over this.

The Kevo is nice. The only problem for us it's a standalone solution. It's Bluetooth, so it won't integrate with anything else. Forget macros, status in your remote, etc. That might be totally fine. As I mentioned in the garage door opener post, sometimes standalone apps are fine. There are several Z-Wave door locks from Schlage, Kwidkset, Yale, and others that offer remote access, integration, and automation. Just depends on what your priorities are.

Spanky Ham wrote:
Oh and don't think I didn't see your update, Steve. Are you spending more time in Michigan?Shocked

Nah, still just a week every month or six weeks, depending on what's going on. Just thought I'd update my profile since I'd just spent a week there. It sort of feels like my home away from home, so… Wink

Spanky Ham wrote:
I bumped this thread to keep Irule on top. Take that HKSteve. Wink

LOL. Nice.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand about the Kevo lock. I think it is a neat idea. There are a lot of ideas that I yawn at. This wasn't one of them.

On Windows, I totally get it. I don't think my best friend gets hardly any revenue from Windows. It is funny that you talk about seed money. MS kept telling my friend that they were interested in porting his games over to Windows and were offering assistance. When he got home, he received nothing but crickets. If that wasn't bad enough, he has submitted one of his games to the Window's store and was denied. The same game is available on iOS and Android. Way to go MS! Your arrogance is your undoing. Smile
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an ugly but functional remote working on my phone, but I have a few questions.

Do you know of a timeline of when Android support will be updated to have multi-state buttons and variables? I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a pro iRule license and a Nexus 7 (a local store has them on sale for $179), but I see that the Android app doesn't support these things, among a few other features. I have seen many threads stating that the app is currently in development and will include these things soon, but some of those posts are months old. Are we talking a couple weeks here, or half a year before Android sees this support? I really don't want to get an iPad mini for twice the price...

Using the app on Android is really lacking in any sort of tactile feedback... the buttons don't change their appearance in any way when pressed, so I'm finding myself wondering whether I really pressed buttons or not.

Sorry, not meaning to sound demanding here, I'm just wondering if there is a timeline for a new release.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gnnash,

No worries at all about sounding demanding! The whole team has been working really hard on a new Android version, and I'm happy to be able to say it's actually in beta testing! Variables and two-state buttons are in, and it's the first time the Android version will be very close to the iOS version in terms of feature set. From this version forward, the two platforms will stay very close in terms of functionality.

I can't tell you whether it's a week, two weeks, or three away, but I know the feature set is frozen, and development and testing is focused only on bug fixes at this point.

The Nexus 7 is an excellent device for a remote control. If I weren't already very happy with my iOS hardware, I'd absolutely have a Nexus 7. It's so affordable, you can even leave it in the theater as a dedicated remote.

Cheers,
SC
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! That's excellent news, I look forward to the release.

That's exactly what I'd like to do, get a Nexus 7 to leave as a dedicated remote. Unfortunately, the sale nearby went away at some point overnight, they're now $199. Which is still a good deal, but not quite the impulse buy it would have been!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you're interested in the used route, but I've seen several last-year's Kindle Fire HD's and Nexus 7's listed on my local craigslist for not much over $100. If it's listed for $115, I figure most guys would probably take $100. That's pretty damn cheap just to leave in the theater for remote duty. I've been thinking about doing it myself, and installing the power cable into the arm of the chair. I haven't done it yet, because… And I hate to even admit this… But, when it gets down into that price range, meeting people to buy used stuff is almost not worth the hassle.

SC
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya... Setting up a time and place with often-unresponsive strangers can be a real chore.

I've thought about something similar, integrating a wireless charger for the current nexus 7 into a chair arm or table.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: