Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Laser TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Laser TV Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was looking at plasmas on ebay and stumbled across laser TVs. I don't keep up with AV anymore and this is the first I've heard of them. Are they any good?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've only been available for a year or so, I think right? And, isn't Mits the only one shipping one at the moment?

I keep forgetting to check them out. I gotta get into a dealer here and see if I can find one.

I imagine some of the glamour just isn't there with them because everybody seems to be in "I wanna hang it on the wall" mode, and this is a boxy box more like a traditional (well, digital, actually) rear-projection set.

Gotta go check one out.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are about 10-12 inches deep and the 65" model weighs around 130 lbs. And you can buy a special wall mount bracket from Mitsubishi to hang it.

What else would you like to know?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say even "only" 10-12" deep is going to look pretty goofy hanging on most residential walls, unless you have a "cove" for it to occupy. Probably great to replace CRT RPTV's and in other types of installs... Commercial built-in type deals for bars could be great, I suppose. I can't imagine bulb maintenance costs in these bars where they have 10-12 LCD/DLP RP setups going 12+ hours/day. They'd burn through a thousands of dollars a year in bulbs, I'd think!

What else? I think what Phil's question was is what do they LOOK like? I mean, what does the picture look like? Is it like CRT, but sharper?

Oh, I have a question too, Mac... Do you know how they handle deflection? Rotating mirrors? Piezo-driven lenses or mirrors?

SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I'd say even "only" 10-12" deep is going to look pretty goofy hanging on most residential walls, unless you have a "cove" for it to occupy. Probably great to replace CRT RPTV's and in other types of installs... Commercial built-in type deals for bars could be great, I suppose. I can't imagine bulb maintenance costs in these bars where they have 10-12 LCD/DLP RP setups going 12+ hours/day. They'd burn through a thousands of dollars a year in bulbs, I'd think!

What else? I think what Phil's question was is what do they LOOK like? I mean, what does the picture look like? Is it like CRT, but sharper?

Oh, I have a question too, Mac... Do you know how they handle deflection? Rotating mirrors? Piezo-driven lenses or mirrors?

SC

As far as a wall hanger I some what agree. A regular flat panel is at around 4.5" deep so its actually only about 5 to 6 inches deeper and at the smaller size one of 65" screen I would think this would take away from the ugly affect. But there are still those who want as thin as possible. But what if the picture on the laservue was WOW!!!!! Amazing difference like night and day. Those who are more concerned about PQ would probably be ok with the thicker device. But alas, many people dont even notice PQ and would still want the thinner flat panel.

From what I here from the ASC guys who have been factory trained on the laservue, they say the pic is amazing. It is DLP based with a 1080 DMD. The front screens are glass instead of plastic like past RPTV's. The lasers are class 4 which will cause eye damage and some believe this is why the screen is glass. All I can say is if the game remote goes through the glass you better cover your eyes quick. Power consumption is suppose to be way less then everything else out there.

I think the reason these are slow coming out is because of the problem in developing a blue laser. The technology for a low cost easy production blue wave length laser is just at 10 years now. Hard to tell how it will prevail. I think its been for sale now since later 2008.

As far as reliability, no techs that I know and that are Mitsu ASC have not reported any repairs. So either they are holding up well or there are not many out there yet.

I found a best price of 3999.00 for a 65" which seems in the park with LCD/plasma at that size. And if PQ and reliability were outstanding you think they would be selling like hot cakes. But people just seem to want those skinny, poorly ventilated, parts burning units instead.

I think the laservue comes in a 73" model also. I'll see what else I can find out. I can probably get a copy of the training manual if you guys are interested.

A new technology is also coming that I'm sure you'll hear about soon. Its LPD (laser phosphor display) but I'll leave comments on that for another thread.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some review info:

The picture quality is fantastic across the board, from unruly action flicks to serene, Sunrise Earth-like films.

And the colors. You're not going to find a set that is capable of displaying colors quite like this one. If you're a Nebraska fan or you cheer for a team sporting a cardinal for a mascot, you're set. If George A. Romero's film collection never leaves your Blu-Ray player, or you're a Republican, you'll love the LaserVue.

LaserVue technology is a significantly lower level of power consumption compared to other HDTV technologies. The Kuro 60" plasma requires 524W for operation; a Sharp Aquos 65" LCD requires 525W; Mitsubishi's 65" LaserVue TV only needs 135W. On average, the LaserVue required one-third the power of a comparably sized LCD and one-fourth of a similar plasma set.]
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, cool... Thanks for the info, Mac. I'm not a Nebraska fan, but I'm definitely going to have to get into a store and check out the "Republican reds". Wink

SC
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
I think the reason these are slow coming out is because of the problem in developing a blue laser. The technology for a low cost easy production blue wave length laser is just at 10 years now.

According to laser-tv.org Sumimoto just developed the first "true" green laser last year. Before that they had to "double the frequency of an infrared laser" (HTH do you do that!?), but now Sumimoto can make a 531nm laser. Dunno how that translates to CIE coords but presumably it's the right color for TV.

EDIT: Hm, according to http://www.ledtuning.nl/cie.php, 531nm = X:0.162535425 Y:0.80123848. The Rec. 709 HDTV coords for green are X:0.3 Y:0.6 -- not even close. Looks like the 531nm point is waaay up in the pure-green area of the CIE 1931 chromaticity diagram, so I'm not sure why laser-tv.org was so excited about it. It may be pure green but it's not the right green for TV.

Last edited by garyfritz on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Laser TV Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
I was looking at plasmas on ebay and stumbled across laser TVs. I don't keep up with AV anymore and this is the first I've heard of them. Are they any good?

Any good? Any good? Of course they are good! They've got freakin' Lasers people!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a few threads on AVS about LaserVue. There are very mixed opinions about them. Some poeple love them and others are not impressed. There does seem to be a bit of a problem with the blue laser as mac mentioned, as well as a hotspot in the lower center due a curved lens or mirror that's necessary to achieve it's 10" thickness. Apparently Mitsubishi hasn't made that many of them, even halting production at one point because of a problem, and at this point are not promoting them, although it's rumored that this summer they will come out with new model(s).

Many feel that the market niche for this is 70" plus screen sizes at an affordable price. At 65", there are nice plasmas available for the same or less money that many feel have as good or better picture.
enlight22

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill be happy when laser projectors are out and cheap... who wants a laser tv if its 10 inches deep..
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: