Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

All about Glycol CRT coolant and where to buy...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So Curt what do you advise me to use ethylene or propylene glycol? (if prize is not the issue)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francisco wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm bringing this old topic up again. I'm about to mix new glycol for my P19 LUG tubes in Barco LC chambers.
Now I think Barco used a mixture of Ethylene glycol 70% with 30% glycerine.

My question is what should I use, Propylene glycol 70% with 30% glycerine or the original more toxic one Ethylene?

Some say they have the same breaking index and that Propylene glycol is less fluid/ thicker viscosity (which is not a problem to get in a Barco LC chamber)

I'm hoping for a chemical glycol expert to chime in here Very Happy

Hah, you have a Barco so there's nothing to worry about Wink

Try owning a Marquee, no matter what you put in the LC chambers you have problems....

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not so easy, found out that Propylene glycol has a different breaking index than Ethylene glycol, and it is not reccomended for LC coupling. For a AC unit it's useable.
Does someone knows what Barco uses in their mixtures?

70-30%
or
80-20%

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the ideal cocktail is 80% ethylene glycol and 20% glycerol. In this article is explained why :

" To date, ethylene glycol, mixtures of ethylene glycol and glycerol, and mixtures of ethylene glycol and water have been employeer extensively as coupling fluids in projection TVs. The preferred fluid in recent years has been ethylene glycol/glycerol mixtures due to the relatively low volatility of the constituent components. As a result, the loss of coupling fluid through the last lens element of the projection lens system has been minimized. Also, the refractive index of an ethylene glycol/glycerol mixture is higher than pure ethylene glycol or a mixture of ethylene glycol and water. In addition, ethylene glycol/glycerol mixtures exhibit reasonable environmental friendliness, the ability to operate near 90° C., low cost, good compatibility with molded optics, good thermal conductivity, and good optical clarity.

A preferred composition for coupling fluids of this type has been 80% ethylene glycol and 20% glycerol. Further addition of glycerol would cause the projected image to squirm, due to natural convection associated with thermal gradients in a viscous fluid.

Mixtures of ethylene glycol/glycerol, however, do have some properties which limit their usefulness. For example, the inherent electrical conductivity of this mixture is a problem. If an accidental spill occurs and the fluid gets onto a printed circuit board, the board has to be discarded to avoid electrical malfunction and even possible fire caused by the relatively high electrical conductivity of the fluid. Even more basically from an optics point of view, the refractive index of the mixture is lower than desired. Accordingly, couplers employing this mixture still suffer from relatively high levels of reflection at the CRT/coupler fluid interface. These reflections, in turn, lower the overall contrast of the projected image, making projection televisions less acceptable to some users in comparison to direct view televisions. "
GREG1292

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a link going to replace the glycol in my 9500 how much do I need and where
do I buy it? Need enough for 3 tubes.

https://discuss.avscience.com/?topic=30.120
tschaeikaei

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need about 550 to 600ml per tube, so be safe and buy 2l. Please don't ask me about gallons, sounds like a sail ship to me.
I do use MONOetylene glycol pure, some others do as well and i don't know about problems.
If i had to replace my projectors coolant today, i'd definitely try this stuff.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37673
If it is optically at least as good as glycerine/glycol, it will not corrode the aluminum. And that's something desirable.

Be sure to repaint your housings after cleaning out all the old stuff.

Regards, Julian

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm redoing my 9500LC's CRT assemblies today. I just got done draining all three assemblies and got almost exactly 64 ounces out of the three.

Allowing for a little spillage and some that got cleaned up with a rag, that didn't make it into the measuring container, let's say 66 ounces, 22 ounces per assembly. This should give you a full fill and maybe an extra squirt.

I recommend that you coat all screw threads with light grease or heavy oil before reassembly, even if you use stainless hardware,
because it can't do any harm to do so.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those few who are still interested in this, I bought food grade glycerin and glycol both from a couple of ebay sellers.

2 gallons of glycol for about 35 dollars a gallon, a quart of glycerin for about 15 dollars.

I'm going to mix a batch at a 20 percent ratio. I'll be watching for that squirming effect, which should NOT occur if the glycerin
content is low enough. I've experimented with small quantities and it certainly appears that the lower the glycerin content, the less the mixture wants to squirm when stirred.
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
For those few who are still interested in this, I bought food grade glycerin and glycol both from a couple of ebay sellers.

2 gallons of glycol for about 35 dollars a gallon, a quart of glycerin for about 15 dollars.

I'm going to mix a batch at a 20 percent ratio. I'll be watching for that squirming effect, which should NOT occur if the glycerin
content is low enough. I've experimented with small quantities and it certainly appears that the lower the glycerin content, the less the mixture wants to squirm when stirred.

I will be changing mine this summer so keep us informed........

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with a small quantity of pure glycerin (5 CCs) and added glycol and mixed it thoroughly, 5 CCs at a time, to achieve mix ratios of 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 5:1, etc. up to 9:1. (10 percent)

When I reached 4:1 (20 percent glycerin) then all visible squirming stopped. At any heavier (glycerin) concentration,
squirming could be observed when looking through the mix while stirring it even if it had been very thoroughly stirred for quite a while already.

So I believe that a 4:1 mix, 20 percent glycerin formula is a very good place to start.

When I mixed up a gallon batch, I did it a quart at a time and my findings in the quart mixing cup
matched up perfectly with my small scale test. When glycerin is not more than 20 percent by volume,
then all visible mixture squirming goes away.

I have a refractometer but it doesn't go high enough to measure the index of refraction for glycerin/glycol. It's off the scale.

I should buy a wider range refractometer and make an attempt to come up with a mix that matches 3M's recommended index
of refraction in an LC system. But I need to find that document again. I had it but can't find it.

Last edited by cmjohnson on Wed May 25, 2016 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I just found the document. It's on Chris Stephen's xymox website.

Excerpt from it:
Quote:

In an optically coupled lens, the air/glass interface is replaced by a liquid/glass
interface. Since the amount of Fresnel reflection is proportional to the difference in index of
refraction on the two sides of the interface, it is dramatically reduced in this case.
For example, for a faceplate index of 1.537 and a liquid index of 1.443, the Fresnel reflection is reduced from
the 4% of a -glass/air interface to well under 1%.

Generally, the end result in terms of the contrast measured on the screen is on the order of a forty percent improvement in contrast.

So there is a real contrast benefit available by properly matching the coolant index of refraction.

The right match is the index of refraction between that of the C element and that of the CRT face glass.

If the CRT face glass had an index of refraction of 1.4 and the C element had an index of refraction of 1.6,
then the coolant mixture should be tailored to a refractive index of 1.5.

Right in the middle.
whoopn

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Ok, once for all here... Reply with quote

So I've read through everything I've been able to find on this and I have found the following statements:

One person says we can't use Propylene Glycol, we need to use Ethylene Glycol b/c LC doesn't work well with Propylene Glycol.

The previous post to this mentioned the ratio needs to be 80% ***ylene Glycol and 20% Glycerin.

So we have two truth statements I'm seeing:
1. Use Ethylene Glycol
2. Use 80% Ethylene Glycol with 20% Glycerin

Am I missing anything?

So how truthful is the ethylene vs propylene statement?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct answer with regard to the mix ratio for ethylene glycol and glycerin:

Whatever mix ratio which achieves a match between the index of refraction of the glycol mix and the index of refraction of the CRT face glass is the proper ratio.

That is somewhere in the general vicinity of 1.5 (green color) if I remember correctly.

Propylene glycol MAY be usable if it is (A) water clear and has no tint, (B), is non-corrosive/non-acidic and unlikely to cause chemical degradation in the optical cell assembly, and (C) has a compatible range of index of refraction.

As a general rule of thumb, you can see for yourself if the index of refraction is "good enough" by filling a coolant cell assembly with the coolant to be tested and then illuminate it and the CRT face with a bright light. Ideally you will never actually see the face of the CRT, but you will see only the phosphor layer. If the surface of the CRT face itself can be seen, either as the CRT face or as a reflection, then the index of refraction is too far off to be a good match.
whoopn

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, any idea what barco's fluid used to be?

I can't seem to buy any of this stuff anywhere already mixed so I'm forced to make it myself and as I am not a chemist nor an optics engineer I'd like to have a standard to know what someone else uses and if it was successful.

I have a barco 1209, id love to just buy the right fluid straight from them but they don't LC anymore and they haven't made a CRT in a while.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a company that has been refurbishing crt assemblies for flight simulators for many years. We use straight EG and it works to the complete satusfaction of all our customers so just use that and don't sweat over the details.
whoopn

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll do that, what had me guessing the most was what "squirming" is, is there an example somewhere of what to look for?

I typically don't care about video issues unless I notice them, then I can't stop caring about them. If I went straight EG then I could add glycerin like you did in your grand experiment to determine your 80/20 ratio, but that was with a marquee right?
whoopn

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, where do you buy your Ethylene Glycol? I'm not having a lot of luck.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay!!!

Squirming is a visual distortion that occurs if the glycol/glycerin mix is not completely mixed. It resembles the heat wave distortion you see just above the roof of a black car on a hot sunny day.

It is possible for well mixed glycol/glycerin to start separating, aka "stratification" and when this happens you may see squirming in the image. It should go away by itself from convection currents in the glycol as the tube heats up in operation.
whoopn

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you for your excellent help
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: