Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

All about Glycol CRT coolant and where to buy...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ironman1965

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I recently bought a bottle of Propylene Glycol USP 500ml and Glycerin USP 250ml at the local pharmacy for under $15.00 and this included a 450ml bottle to mix it in. For a syringe I went to the local farm supply store called UFA (most any should carry them, just call and find out) and got 35cc syringes (they were out of the 60cc) and needles for under $10.00. For XG tubes I had to settle with 18G needles as the 16D were too large to fit through the filler screw hole. Just my 2 cents worth.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two gallon jugs of glycol that I bought from Fisher Scientific a few years ago. I mix it with 30 percent glycerine as I'm about to
put it into the LC chamber.

It is moderately expensive but I know it's the right stuff for the job and when you consider the quantity, the price is actually just fine.

CJ
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My coolant comes in the form of a 5th. Sometimes I use it straight. Other times, I'll mix it with something to get the desired effect Wink

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip as I remember you said you used distilled water for coolant... Guess you didn't mention what you cut it with Wink
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Chip as I remember you said you used distilled water for coolant... Guess you didn't mention what you cut it with Wink

Tom,
When I was experimenting, I did try straight distilled water in a few tubes. One of them however did produce mildew or something on the inside. I may not have gotten that one perfectly clean. I would bet money that a couple drops of bleach or anti-fungle additive that you add to a water bed would resolve that issue.

Next time you have some coolant handy, grab two clean glasses. Put distilled water in one and coolant in the other and look through them and tell me which one looks clearer. Wink

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the refraction indexes are about equal between the two. I might actually try out DI water. When I would put DI water in a bucket, it almost looked like there was nothing in it.
nateduffer

TV/Projector: Sony VPH-D50HT, Runco DTV1100 and DTV933, Sony G90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: What's the latest thinking on LC coolant chemistry? Reply with quote

The more research I do to discover the correct glycol to have on hand for working on my G90, the more uncertain I become.

I've read all the threads I could find about this. Perhaps those of you with the most experience will share their latest thinking.

From what I've read it sounds like the Sonys have fewer problems than others with crud (snow flakes, "fungus", cloudiness, crystals, discoloration, etc) forming in the coolant. If that is actually true, maybe it would be best to keep the original Sony liquid clean, expose it to the air as briefly as possible, and then reuse it. I expect to hear that new coolant is preferred. But does anybody know for sure exactly what Sony put in there that lasts so well without problems?

Replacement choices I've identified are:

1) Ethylene glycol with about 30% glycerine added

2) Propylene glycol straight

3) Propylene glycol with glycerine

4) Tech Spray TV Coolant (which seems to be very similar to number 1)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nate
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the Tech Spray TV Coolant.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Das444

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nateduffer,

When I retubed my Xg lc over a year ago I used Ice Clear. You can read about it here.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322816

Dan
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Buy the Tech Spray TV Coolant.

Nashou

Ditto... Wink
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: What's the latest thinking on LC coolant chemistry? Reply with quote

nateduffer wrote:
The more research I do to discover the correct glycol to have on hand for working on my G90, the more uncertain I become.

I've read all the threads I could find about this. Perhaps those of you with the most experience will share their latest thinking.

From what I've read it sounds like the Sonys have fewer problems than others with crud (snow flakes, "fungus", cloudiness, crystals, discoloration, etc) forming in the coolant. If that is actually true, maybe it would be best to keep the original Sony liquid clean, expose it to the air as briefly as possible, and then reuse it. I expect to hear that new coolant is preferred. But does anybody know for sure exactly what Sony put in there that lasts so well without problems?

Replacement choices I've identified are:

1) Ethylene glycol with about 30% glycerine added

2) Propylene glycol straight

3) Propylene glycol with glycerine

4) Tech Spray TV Coolant (which seems to be very similar to number 1)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nate

This isn't rocket science. If your original coolant is crystal clear you may reuse it if you feel like dealing with it. If it is discolored at all, repalce it with the Tech Spray. The G90's very rarely have any trouble with major break down of the coolant. I have actually only seen one such tube out of hundreds where the coolant was ruined. However, the coolant often becomes slightly less than clear and I almost never reuse it.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is slightly less than clear?

I have a bottle of glycol from a G70 that has a slight yellowish tint. I was going to throw it away, but thought it would be good for something.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
What is slightly less than clear?

I have a bottle of glycol from a G70 that has a slight yellowish tint. I was going to throw it away, but thought it would be good for something.

I wouldn't use that for anything that matters.

I sometimes use coolant in that condition for experiments like when I know a tube is temporary or celements are going to be changed... or any time I think the coolant will be flushed soon anyhow. But usually I just dispose of it.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
nateduffer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Thanks for the responses Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. It sounds like a consensus is forming for Tech Spray. I'm still curious if the idea that propylene glycol is less corrosive has enough merit for more consideration. But I tend to over analyze and seek certainty when learning new technical stuff, and often find that things turn out to be uncertain with lots of trade offs when better understood through experience.

N
nateduffer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Ice Clear AF Reply with quote

I ran into some broken links looking for more information about Ice Clear. This one provided some details. The stuff seems to be glycerine.

http://orisonmarketing.com/IceclearAF.html
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys -

Some of you may remember my semi-maniacal and largely academic foray into positively IDing the dyes used in the glycols on air coupled units.

I still plan to do a chemical analysis (GC) on the any glycols folks send me. I want to do this b/c the index of refraction measurements I took of the cooling fluids ("glycols") last year were very unexpected. That is, I removed the dyes found in the OEM mixtures in 07MS tubes taken from ampro, barco, and Ehome machines...in all cases the fluid was way more water than anticipated. As in, predominately water with minor % glycol - 10%vol, IIRC. The n value (index of refraction) doesn't matter in AC machines like it does your LC machines, tho'.

Anyway, Dave sent me some of the Iceclear stuff and I'll pickup some of Tech Spray. I have pure EG and some PGs for comparison. Incidentally, propylene glycols and glycerol/glycerine are super crazy hygroscopic. I know that within an hour of sitting open on a counter that pure gycercol will be as much as 10% percent water just via water from the atmosphere! The degradation folks have seen are inevitable from heat -- and accelerate if exposed to air and UV light. For example, this DOW paper briefly mentions this and has a bit of data. In a nutshell, don't open when you don't need to and definitely keep in the dark or wrap the bottles in foil. Given the impurities that are created by degradation, activated carbon or a carefully chosen zeolyte might selectively remove those impurities and maybe at less cost than buying anew.

I am SO optimistic about finally doing a lot of things with my ECPs this summer that even folks on here will find crazy. Wink Trying to unbond tubes from a D50, dissolving silicone blocks in hvps, hd144 vs hd6 throws, blending 2 ECPs, dye vs tinted lenses, measuring tube face and glycol temps and possibly testing a cooling/filtering circuit, etc...

cheers,
Matt
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Crazy matt!!!!

I like it!!! Very Happy

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mycatisretarded wrote:
A little off topic......but I work in a facility that manufactures optical fibers. Some of the optical test equipment uses a refractive index immersion liquid made by Cargill. I saw a couple 5 gal. containers of the stuff, It has an index of refraction of 1.4571. I also saw some smaller quantities at 1.4460. I couldn't find much info on the stuff- the msds didn't give much info. The boiling point was fairly high but I can't remember right now, the viscosity about 170 cSt (maple syrup is 165, glycerin is 550). I did the touch, sniff and taste test, it felt like an oil. I don't know if this would be a good solution to use in a projector. If the main purpose is optical coupling it may be ideal, if the main purpose is thermal heat related whatever it may not be ideal? Any thoughts? I'm sure i could get a couple tubes worth if anyone is interested in experimenting.
Info about Cargill liquids.. http://www.cargille.com/opticalintro.shtml

We use something similar....but the sh*t runs 300 bucks a gallon!!! Confused
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm bringing this old topic up again. I'm about to mix new glycol for my P19 LUG tubes in Barco LC chambers.
Now I think Barco used a mixture of Ethylene glycol 70% with 30% glycerine.

My question is what should I use, Propylene glycol 70% with 30% glycerine or the original more toxic one Ethylene?

Some say they have the same breaking index and that Propylene glycol is less fluid/ thicker viscosity (which is not a problem to get in a Barco LC chamber)

I'm hoping for a chemical glycol expert to chime in here Very Happy

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I'll add here.. I still have about 20 red tubes, SD187, etc that have tinted glycol in them. It won't work for LC tubes, but if you want to tint an AC tube you have, I'll give away these tubes. Cover shipping only. If you want me to spend the time draining the glycol, I'll have to charge for my time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: