Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Contractor Beware

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Contractor Beware Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So, during the past two years the wife and I out-sourced the basement construction work to various contractors that are natives of the county (and hence the state of Georgia). We felt that this would be the best approach, especially if they came recommended by suppliers. But two things are worth considering beyond the rough-in activities ...

The electrician did his rough in and after the drywall, finish carpentry, and painting they came back and did 90% of the finish work. The theater wall sconces were on hold because we hadn't picked the lighting fixtures out. By the time we came up with something the electrician got cancer and died. Thumbs Down Thumbs Down Then we discovered a wiring issue.

We had four lighting switches in the HT. One for canned lights, on for pathway leading into the HT. One for the wall scones, and one wired to a future use box in the ceiling in case we chose track lighting at the screen. Well, turns out they wired the left-side and right-side sconces in separate circuits and wired the ceiling box to ... who knows! And there ain't any recourse since the electrician unexpectedly died.

The plumber, like the electrician, was a local, came recommended, and conducted the rough-in work in the basement. He couldn't test the ejector pump because the electrician forgot to finish the electrical box at the pump's pit location. Ok, several months go by the market conditions get worse for him, and he closes up his business to take a job at Lowes (guess what department?).

Now there is an electrical box at the pump location, but the system is untested and I cannot find another plumber willing to 'have a look'. I think I am going to have to encourage someone to set some bathroom fixtures ahead of our schedule in order to get them to test the pump. I had tried to get someone to take a garden hose to the bathroom shower (basin is set and plumbed to ejector pump).

So, the moral of the story is you can try to protect yourself by finding natives of the land that come recommended to you, but not even that can prepare you for reality.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even worse... hire a friend, acquaintance, fellow church member, give them what you think are specific detailed instructions.... then realize they totally eff'd the job.... and they are a friend, and fellow church member. Then while casually mentioning there might be a problem with the quality of their work to another friend who had used them... find out your fellow hiring friend fired them for the same reason. Repeat that experience a couple of times, then feel like a total * because the dude, while being fair priced and fast.... has fast poor quality work.

Now if that isn't bad enough.... hire another son of a friend... and repeat.

I'm beginning to think that the major contracting company's "performance bonds" are the way to go..... but all that hold back has to be spelled out in a contract.... an item that most casual contractees (us) that deal with small contractors are not going to do.

Bottom line I suppose is... "you pays your money and you takes your chances".

Sucks to be a home owner sometimes.......
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks...stories like this are exactly why I'm halfway through finishing my basement by myself...even if I wanted to pay the money, which I don't, you're never guaranteed a decent outcome! Sad
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very True. I'm always nevous when I hire a contractor. Unfortunately not everyone has the time and/or skills to do a full renovation like that, so the risk is inherently there.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stories like this are the reason guys like me never have a hard time finding work Thumbs Up Sure... I have had my share of problems on jobs.. But... Never have I left a reasonable customer unsatisfied. Heck, even most of the unreasonable folks have went on to recommend me...

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a guy who used to own a lot of rental properties and therefore hired a lot of contractors. Unfortunately, that old adage, "you get what you pay for", is true. Everytime I hired a local small business guy they tended to be more incompetent than if I hired a larger company. Remodeling sucks!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don534 wrote:
I'm a guy who used to own a lot of rental properties and therefore hired a lot of contractors. Unfortunately, that old adage, "you get what you pay for", is true. Everytime I hired a local small business guy they tended to be more incompetent than if I hired a larger company. Remodeling sucks!

(think Super Tramp ) Good by Spammer, it's been nice. Hope you find your paradise. Buh bye

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the positive side of hiring a contractor, now that Sparky and the dogs are gone, I had one hell of a mess/stench to clean up. I pretty much expected the carpets to be a writeoff, and was expecting to save schekels to put in new carpeting everywhere.

Called up a local carpet cleaning company, Citrus-O, whom I've had good success with, they came over and quoted $1600 to do the deep cleaning/scrubbing throughout the whole house. I cringed, told him that I had a budget of $700-800 tops, so I told him to deep clean the worst two rooms and do a standard cleaning throughout the rest, and I'd call them in a couple of months if the smell didn't go away to deep clean the rest.

He shows up the next morning, had reduced the pricing to $1200 and said he'd take a post dated check for 50% of it. OK, that worked for me.

He spent 7 hours in the house, and I don't even want to talk about the color of the water coming out of the carpet. Big yuck!

The smell throughout the house is... GONE! While the carpets are far from new, the place is now livable again, and I'm super happy.

I think part of the problem with hiring contractors is that people don't do research before hiring people. A lot of people go for the low bid (which as a sound contractor I never am), and then are all ecstatic for a couple of months that they got the low price... until they need followup service, or what they got done falls apart, and said contractor is 'too busy' to come back and do a warranty call.

Frankly, the last place I'd get a contractor from is meeting someone at a church or hiring a friend to do work. I also hate selling electronics to friends. Something ALWAYS goes wrong..
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on selling to a friend or relative. I always try to avoid it. If they are super insistent and its not a big dollar item I will often just give it to them. And for larger dollar items I often say "this one needed a lot of repair and I'm not comfortable selling it to you".
paw

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Well, on the positive side of hiring a contractor, now that Sparky and the dogs are gone,

So, did you guys break up?

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, yes. I called it off.
paw

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Curt.
rod

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to get references for sure. However, you still have to qualify them and ask about the jobs they did (compared to what you are asking them to do) and how they turned out. If they don't give references, run away.
I got a stellar reference from my neighbor's mother so I thought that was good enough. It was the first and last time I get a contractor in my house without asking for JOB references. It was a total disaster.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, having references, excellent work examples, etc. means little when one closes shop due to a down turn in the economy, or his helper mis-helps and he, himself, dies before he can fix.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Rod, having references, excellent work examples, etc. means little when one closes shop due to a down turn in the economy, or his helper mis-helps and he, himself, dies before he can fix.

The AUDACITY to die on you like that. What a jerk! Rolling Eyes

I'm a HORRIBLE haggler and negotiator. It took me a long time to accept it but there it is...some people are good at it and even love the process; I avoid it like my ex wife. Razz

That's why I do everything myself and trust me...there are times I wish I could fire myself for even starting 'it' in the first place. I've had our kitchen cabinets half refinished for three years. I even tried to sell the wife on how great an open cabinet looks and how it accented our ranch home. No beans. I got the old one raised eyebrow "Are you F-ing serious?" look. Laughing

And when it comes to buying a car?...Fahgetaboutit! I suck. Each time I do it (yeah...sucker for punishment) something pops up later that reminds me why I should pay someone else to do it for me. Hey, there's a niche market for an enterprising sole...buy crap for people who are the worlds worst consumers. Laughing

Unless a person is LA-HO-DED! or physically incapable of doing it themselves, I believe every homeowner should at least learn the basics of home repair and maintenance... but that's just my opinion (and we know those are worth).

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
rod

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

Agree. that's simply bad luck. You're just not going to be able to protect yourself from that - other that hold back payment (or part of) until job is done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: