Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Building the new room

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Building the new room Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I moved in about 8 months back and everything is still in boxes. why? well, there is no media room, just a big empty space. This thread covers my ideas.

The room is planned to be 21x8x13, close to Phi. the 13 is pretty set in stone as it is a supporting wall. the 21 can be shifted back and forth as need be.

One big issue is that there is a 6 foot wide patio door along the exterior wall. I can close it in, replace it with steel doors, or just have a big heavy curtain across it.

The room will be dual purpose - 7.2 theatre with a CRT projector, and also 2 channel stereo by way of a sonic frontiers line-2 with HT bypass. I have a number of sketches that show the empty room, and two end-for-end layouts. here is the site where i have the sketches and will include pictures and so on.

I'd like to keep the doorway that is currently the patio door, as I think that it would be handy to have a door to the outside. The other side of the interior end wall is my workshop and I'd really like to get a door into there as well so that i don't have to track mud/sawdust through the theatre when i co out the cut the lawn, or dig in the garden or bring lumber into the shop.

To get a door into the shop, i'm thinking of putting in an angled wall that divides the current patio door into two openings. one for the theatre and one for the shop. I'd mirror the angled wall to enclose the equipment rack.

The first picture is the empty room. the second is "layout 1" with the angled walls and the third picture is "layout 3".

If anyone has some feedback, i'd sure appreciate it. cheers.

6107_1-1.jpg
 Description:
empty room, red line is a window, blue line is the patio door, thick black line on the bottom are door openings.
 Filesize:  36.74 KB
 Viewed:  8238 Time(s)

6107_1-1.jpg

6107_1-2.jpg
 Description:
layout 1. blue lines show first order reflections from the speakers - need to treat those spots.
 Filesize:  35.21 KB

6107_1-2.jpg

6107_1-3.jpg
 Description:
layout 2
 Filesize:  34.69 KB

6107_1-3.jpg

Last edited by zaphod on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jask

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think layout # 1 makes more sense if you need access to your shop.You might be able to push the back row forward a bit more to allow for the thickness of the back/angled wall. you will need to really play around with acoustic treatment with your first reflection point right at the window.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i hear you about that window. it's either at the 1st reflection point or right where a surround goes (depending on room orientation). I think that heavy curtains would handle the reflection point, or maybe wooden shutters that would break up the sound.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the home theater comes on to the scene and becomes more and more popular, manufactures of home theater seating are producing seating that provides all of the functions that are common to entertainment room furniture with one very unique bonus.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClaudiaPipkens wrote:
As the home theater comes on to the scene and becomes more and more popular, manufactures of home theater seating are producing seating that provides all of the functions that are common to entertainment room furniture with one very unique bonus.

Claudia - looking at your recent posts (and signature) it seems that you may have joined to only spam us with your home theater seating products. You've been warned. Your post here has nothing directly to do with the original thread.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ClaudiaPipkens

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever relaxation is important, the question of what furniture to choose still has to take logistics into account. An eighty inch sofa will not fit into a sixty inch space. It may be possible, though, to find an equivalent sofa that is short enough to fit - or even one that is longer but bends around to get the length without requiring everything be laid out in a straight line. Indeed such a sofa can be the most comfortable, because it creates an air of snugness that is more relaxing than almost anything else.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NUKE HER KAL! YEAH!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That was definitely the wrong answer to my warning! Smile
Given the response, he/she must be using some sort of auto-posting software which is definitely SPAM in my mind.

User deleted.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: