Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

OMG BRILLIANT!! I want this... Flat Screen Movie Posters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: OMG BRILLIANT!! I want this... Flat Screen Movie Posters Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey,

Maybe I really should put this in another section and feel free to move it or complain about it and I'll move it myself if it's an issue but I wanted people to see this.

Someone bought a LCD and hung it up sideways and uses it to display movie poster images. The effect is like a lighted movie poster but one that changes every few seconds.

It's flippin brilliant and I feel I need to do the very exacto same thing!!!

Check it...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/home-theater-general-discussion/134473-movie-poster-flatscreen.html#post2956138

-Brian
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is kinda cool if you are into that sort of thing.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a new idea obviously - "digital signage" as it's called has been used for years, including plasmas and LCDs turned vertically, but it's definitely the first time I've seen it in somebody's basement. Way cool. Hmmm... Gonna have to think about that for down the road when I get the basement finished. Very cool.

Oh, and I moved the thread to HT Accessories for you, Brian... Mostly so we could find it later.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, but would you want to pay for bulbs for a poster display?? I guess if you can afford an LCD just to show posters, the bulbs are a minor issue...
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... What bulbs, Gary? This is an LCD flat panel hanging on the wall... Think "living room LCD TV", just mounted vertically instead of horizontally.

It seems expensive, but if you've looked at nice backlight poster boxes, it's not bad. You have to run some sort of a device (SFF PC or photo viewer) to drive it, but I've seen decent-sized LCDs down in the $400 ballpark.

SC
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea...It would have to be connected to your automation system so it would turn off during a movie. My theater is very bland in inside, just curtains running down both sides. I'm a bit ADD so any distraction IMO takes away from the movie. I have lights and my center channel speaker mounted above my screen, even those I find a little distracting. I'm actually thinking of covering the bottom of the soffit above the screen with velvet to soak up a little more light.

Note: This shot was taking before the installation of my masking Smile

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't buy bulbs for LCD screens.

So... since seeing this I looked into digital photo frames which is sort of the same idea to some extent and they are expensive.

I have an old PC that someone gave me compete with LCD screen. I may try to set it up to do non-stop slide show and mount the LCD near the HT door. (Outside the HT.)

I suppose it is expensive but it's freakin cool that's all I know.

-Brian
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW there is a great source for movie imagery... Check out themovedb.org

Here is an example.

http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/18785/cast

They have a database with xml feeds with links to all their images avalable too. Make a great iPhone app to control your poster screen with. "Hint Hint SC" Smile

I was looking into including some links to it in my mkv app some time.

Mike

Last edited by MikeEby on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Bill Gates has this sort of setup in his house where he has flat screens all around and uses them to display pictures of art. I have thought about doing this type of thing and making it a touch screen that could switch to a home automation software screen to control the house as well.
Dan
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a great idea. It also seems to be a cheaper way to go ,to a point, because you can keep changing the photos with out having to keep buying new posters, and the initial cost for a cheap lcd isn't really that bad .

A backlit poster box cost 2 times as much> http://www.htmarket.com/chasrefbacli.html

and the posters can cost quite a bit too.> http://www.htmarket.com/movie-posters-and-movie-poster-frames-movie-posters-0-to-9-movie-posters.html

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
Seems like a great idea. It also seems to be a cheaper way to go ,to a point, because you can keep changing the photos with out having to keep buying new posters, and the initial cost for a cheap lcd isn't really that bad .

I have one of these cheepy 28" LCD I use for my secondary monitor, It's not that great, but for movie poster it would look great, its $290. "IF" your paying someone to mount a poster in a frame that is not cheap by any means.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4938558&CatId=3774

Maybe a cool open source project.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Ummm... What bulbs, Gary? This is an LCD flat panel hanging on the wall... Think "living room LCD TV", just mounted vertically instead of horizontally.

I haven't paid much attention to flat-panel tech. I know at least some DLPs were rear-pro setups with a bulb, but I suppose those wouldn't qualify for "flat-panel hang-on-the-wall" status. I guess these LCDs must have EL backlighting? A quick Google turns up lifespan estimates around 60k hours. So I guess it's not a big problem. Smile
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
dturco wrote:

I have one of these cheepy 28" LCD I use for my secondary monitor, It's not that great, but for movie poster it would look great, its $290. "IF" your paying someone to mount a poster in a frame that is not cheap by any means.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4938558&CatId=3774

Maybe a cool open source project.

Mike

Pay someone to mount a poster ? Man, thats what thumb-tacks are for. Laughing

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco has a 32" Vizio for $360 or a 24" Sceptre for $199. The only thing you might have to do with some of these displays, is to make a cover so the bezel isn't bigger on one side or the other.

Might be a fun winter project for me next winter!

SC
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:

Pay someone to mount a poster ? Man, thats what thumb-tacks are for. Laughing

I have a couple of poster dry mounted in my living room....The poster was like 10 bucks by the time I left the shop I think the total bill with the frame was like $200... Pissed me off actually I felt kind of ripped off, live and learn.

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I haven't paid much attention to flat-panel tech. I know at least some DLPs were rear-pro setups with a bulb, but I suppose those wouldn't qualify for "flat-panel hang-on-the-wall" status. I guess these LCDs must have EL backlighting? A quick Google turns up lifespan estimates around 60k hours. So I guess it's not a big problem. Smile

Gary, LCD flat panels are just like the one you probably sit in front of on your computer... The backlighting is either fluorescent or on some newer, higher-end displays, LED.

So, no - lifespan isn't an issue. Besides, I wouldn't leave on 24/7, anyway... Just when I was in the basement, had people over, etc. You could even automate it.

SC
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Costco has a 32" Vizio for $360 or a 24" Sceptre for $199. The only thing you might have to do with some of these displays, is to make a cover so the bezel isn't bigger on one side or the other.

Might be a fun winter project for me next winter!

SC

32" would be the perfect size, probably 720p. Costco has these VGA wireless gizmos...Would be crappy for video, for posters it might work.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11515142&search=Cables%20unlimited&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20match

Adds to the cost though.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I don't know how far I'll go to replicate this idea. Thinking it over... It would be wasted energy most of the time. The sad truth is I don't have guests very often.

Still... the person in the link I posted got his images at Internet Movie Poster Awards dot com. I've been on there taking the images for now. I'll put them as a playlist on my PS3 and be able to have that set to music. It will make a nice thing to have on while people get "ready" for a movie.

I think I'll enjoy just watching it from time to time too.

I have a small LCD screen and spare outdated PC. I may try to set something up just for fun.

-Brian
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I've already started getting this setup. I have an old PC that someone gave me which I run the free open source Ununtu Linux. Just put the images in the "pictures" folder and tell the screensaver to use that as the screensaver and you're done from a software perspective.

I have a 19" Dell LCD monitor that came with it and it's wall mount-able.

For the moment ... the wiring will be a little ugly perhaps but I'm going to move forward with this because I think it's so very dern cool.

-Brian
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now to figure out how to do this cheaper... the OP posted links to the files now, so you can grab them easily without having to pick through the original source site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: