Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Stopping SPAMMERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I think you two are going madd with power. I want more power Kal. I need to kill these spammers quicker Kal. I need the ultimate Home theater Kal. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Shocked Shocked Shocked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that the spamming is getting out of control.

I've re-enabled a more complex CAPTCHA. We'll see what happens. It's only good for bots however. If these are people signing up then there's nothing really stopping them.

I could set the sign-up to ADMIN mode such that I have to accept all people signing up. But even that won't stop them as only about 50% of the time do they ever use signatures and website links that are obviously spam. I've just deleted about 20 of these users that signed up in the last 2-3 days by looking at the memberlist page sorted by most recent first. All you have to do is look at their website name. There's still a bunch left but they *could* be legit. These are all people that haven't posted. They simply want that link there but it does them no good since search engines can't view our memberlist page.

Maybe I need to remove the website, signatures, and all other contact info from users? That seems a bit drastic.

WanMan wrote:
Seems like letting a newly registered Spam twice in four minutes and post the EXACT SAME THING is a problem easily afforded. I thought kind of prevention was attainable years ago--but maybe with different board software.

But how do you make a computer know it's spam? How's it different than anyone else simply signing up and posting the same post in two different forums as sometimes is done here?

We can't assume that someone posting the same thing is a spammer. Hell, I often post the exact same thing in multiple forums when it makes sense.

ecrabb wrote:
Kal - Does the "delete user" mod you added for us also IP ban at the same time? I wonder if some of it is repeat from the same spammer. I also wonder if the site made it onto some central list that the shitbags are loading into their spam gun.

No, it doesn't IP ban them. IP banning typically doesn't work well given that 99% of users are on DHCP (non-fixed IPs). IF you ban a bunch of IPs from one ISP, legit users that also use that ISP sometimes won't be able to get on. Very frustrating for them.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
Kal - Does the "delete user" mod you added for us also IP ban at the same time? I wonder if some of it is repeat from the same spammer. I also wonder if the site made it onto some central list that the shitbags are loading into their spam gun.

No, it doesn't IP ban them. IP banning typically doesn't work well given that 99% of users are on DHCP (non-fixed IPs). IF you ban a bunch of IPs from one ISP, legit users that also use that ISP sometimes won't be able to get on. Very frustrating for them.

I wasn't suggesting we should ban entire ranges of IP addresses, but I am suspicious that some of the spamming is coming from the same box (or the same few boxes). I don't know about you, but while my ISP assigns my IPs w/DHCP, I often go for weeks without it changing. So, I'm guessing IP bans would help. But, I'll start tracking the users I'm deleting and maybe you and Jeremy can do the same thing for the next week or so and we'll see if there are any repeat offenders, or if they're all unique.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think we licked it! Looking at the memberlist page (sorted by last registered first) shows that in the last 48 hours we're not getting the 10-20 daily registrations from obvious spammers.

So putting the more advanced CAPTCHA (type in code you see in the box type verification) back in place seems to have completely stopped spammers.

I also disabled the extra anti-bot verification question (ex: "What colour is a an orange?") that was asked since both are not needed.

I had installed this more advanced CAPTCHA a couple of years ago since the built in one was hacked by automatic spambots. I then removed it a year or so later since I had some complaints from legit users that it was hard to use. Sorry, but it's back! It may take legit users a couple of tries to find a CAPTCHA code that's easier to read but in the end, no spammers is worth it (IMHO). I don't want people here to have to constantly nuke spammers.

Steve/Jeremy: The nuke user feature from their profile page will still remain. I'm sure we'll still get some spammers from time to time. Just hopefully not 10-20/day.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, just when the power was going to my head you burst my bubble. Thanks allot Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered where the pork went. Very Happy
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I wondered where the pork went. Very Happy

That's in Curt's back yard. Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: