Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

A Home theater Spread on Architectural Digest website.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: A Home theater Spread on Architectural Digest website. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm a HUGE Fan of (and a subscriber to ) Architectural Digest.

On their website now is a 10 slide spread of some Designer home theaters. Many of them are the way I envision mine...

Slide #'s 3, 7 and 10... which just happens to be Mariah Carey's ...

I just prefer a more living room like setup to a theater rather than a movie theater...

Check it out.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/

View user's photo album (3 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all that ambient light its a good thing they are using digital projectors as black level need not apply.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A Home theater Spread on Architectural Digest website. Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:

I just prefer a more living room like setup to a theater rather than a movie theater...

Check it out.

I'm the opposite....I don't like any of the distractions a living room has, when I want to watch a movie...I want to watch the movie...I'm afraid in many of those living room setups I would probably just fall asleep, or worse yet pull out my notebook pc and start working.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's more my taste.. No kids, it's only adults.
To me a "theater" is a wasted space. In an urban setting, that space is too valuable to be a single tasker.

greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few that look awesome there...the rest look just like a regular room...lost the romance for me.

If you want a media room, fine. Just don't call it a home "THEATER". Laughing

Dedicated or bust! Wink
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A Home theater Spread on Architectural Digest website. Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
Check it out.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/

Direct link if you have a hard time finding the pics...
http://www.architecturaldigest.com/resources/features/2010/02/home_theaters_slideshow
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't my style exactly, but this is really nice - very warm and inviting:

This is nice, too:

John makes a great point. Most of us are pretty spoiled in our suburban homes with square footage to burn on a dedicated room. Unless you're very wealthy, urban living rarely really allows for a dedicated theater. In those cases, isn't a non-dedicated home theater better than no home theater all?

I really appreciate those designs. In a way, it's easy to design a dedicated room. Not so with a multi-use space. Yes, there's some compromises, but it also really pushes design, materials, equipment, etc. I think it's sweet when layout, seating, use of space, light control, and creative design all come together to make a space that works for a great casual living space, but also for a theater. Heck, if it's done well, when you turn the lights off, it would be hard to tell it wasn't a dedicated room.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
In those cases, isn't a non-dedicated home theater better than no home theater all?

SC

Hell yes! For some reason, I think designing a single space for two or three functions is incredibly more challenging to pull off than a single use space (dedicated theater). Usually the space will favor one use over the others and the other uses will suffer.

That first picture does look cozy...but I would just as soon see a 68" plasma up there rather than mess with projector and screen.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
In those cases, isn't a non-dedicated home theater better than no home theater all?

SC

Hell yes! For some reason, I think designing a single space for two or three functions is incredibly more challenging to pull off than a single use space (dedicated theater). Usually the space will favor one use over the others and the other uses will suffer.

That first picture does look cozy...but I would just as soon see a 68" plasma up there rather than mess with projector and screen.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't look or feel like a theater. It's just a living room with a big screen hung up.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
This isn't my style exactly, but this is really nice - very warm and inviting:

John makes a great point. Most of us are pretty spoiled in our suburban homes with square footage to burn on a dedicated room. Unless you're very wealthy, urban living rarely really allows for a dedicated theater. In those cases, isn't a non-dedicated home theater better than no home theater all?

I really appreciate those designs. In a way, it's easy to design a dedicated room. Not so with a multi-use space. Yes, there's some compromises, but it also really pushes design, materials, equipment, etc. I think it's sweet when layout, seating, use of space, light control, and creative design all come together to make a space that works for a great casual living space, but also for a theater. Heck, if it's done well, when you turn the lights off, it would be hard to tell it wasn't a dedicated room.

SC

Sc makes my point. I went and looked at a house tonight... here in Phila. 1600 Sq Ft. 289K.

Now thats about 182.00 per sf. If i dedicate a room 20x15 to a theater. 300 sf * 182.00 per sq. I'm committing 54,000 dollars of my home value to the theater... thats before equipment and improvements..... Thats a lot of dough.

BTW the first pic SC posted is my idea of what my theater should be!

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the light why not just throw up a 65" flat panel and get better results. These "let's impress my friends with the nice decorations instead of the big picture" seems retarded. But then again I'm just an a-hole with an opinion.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on a house with a media room that was similar, the huge french doors had auto-closing black-out blinds. The owner called it a theater, which I guess is nothing more than semantics. The house was near 30ka square feet so he had plenty of space for dedicated theater but that is not what he wanted. He wanted a "family-room" where he could hang out with the kids, play video games, watch sports (he's part owner of the Nationals), and watch movies on a big-ass screen. That is what I imagine for my home theater also. I like the looks of the dedicated home theaters (like SC's) but it would not work for my home or my lifestyle.

I don't understand the concept of front projection only being used in a dedicated theater. There are more ways to black-out a bright room then there are ways to brighten up a dark room. In my "theater" (if I EVER finish it), the entire room is surrounded by bookcases that are full of books, it is shared with my home office, and will eventually have a baby-grand piano, a bar, and an indoor BB-gun range. I'm not about to give up my big screen for a flat screen because the results are not better if it's not what I want.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand, either Joel. Why NOT?

WanMan wrote:
With all the light why not just throw up a 65" flat panel and get better results. These "let's impress my friends with the nice decorations instead of the big picture" seems retarded.

What are you talking about, Wan? What light? The two rooms I posted could be just as light-controlled as many dedicated room in this forum. This one for instance:

Install some really good automated light-blocking blinds, and you can probably get that room just as dark as most people get their rooms. Why NOT have a big projection screen in the living area? Best of both worlds! Heck, you can even have a roll-down screen in front of a 46" LCD. Lights on, hangin' out watchin' the game on the LCD. Game's over? Turn off the lights, close the blinds, turn the LCD off, extend the screen, fire up the projector and watch a movie. I think it kicks ass!

If I ever have a big enough house, I'm going to have a kick-ass media-room type of living room with the biggest flat panel I can afford for hanging out and watching TV AND a dedicated theater. But, not everybody has the square footage to do it!

tri_joel wrote:
In my "theater" (if I EVER finish it), the entire room is surrounded by bookcases that are full of books, it is shared with my home office, and will eventually have a baby-grand piano, a bar, and an indoor BB-gun range. I'm not about to give up my big screen for a flat screen because the results are not better if it's not what I want.

Sounds really nice, Joel. But, do both! 46" LCD for everyday viewing, hanging out, game on with the lights up, and roll-down with the CRT with the lights off for movies.

I wanna hear more about the BB-gun range, too - sounds interesting!!!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, SC, but they are not advertising those rooms for what they were intended to be. They are advertising them for a party, with lots of light to show off the ornateness and whatnot. Not for the PQ of what is on the screen. Its not about the 'theater' but the party room all lit up like a bride to be. Booo!

Want to show me a home theater? Show me something with a PQ better than a flat screen. I wonder how much was spent on the projectors and how much was spent on impressing people with the finished carpentry, painting, and furniture. These are the products that make rice boys and sticker queens thrive. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Yeah, SC, but they are not advertising those rooms for what they were intended to be. They are advertising them for a party, with lots of light to show off the ornateness and whatnot. Not for the PQ of what is on the screen. Its not about the 'theater' but the party room all lit up like a bride to be. Booo!

Want to show me a home theater? Show me something with a PQ better than a flat screen. I wonder how much was spent on the projectors and how much was spent on impressing people with the finished carpentry, painting, and furniture. These are the products that make rice boys and sticker queens thrive. Very Happy

Form vs. function debate starts in 3.....2.....1.....
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised this debate didn't happen sooner. I think it all comes down to how big your house is and how much money you have. I can't afford a dedicated room, so my theatre has to share with the family room. Personally, i think it's more practical, but then again, I've never lived in a mansion! Laughing
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live in a mansion either. I'll take function over form first. Any money left over then form for comfort.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One doesn't need a big house to have a dedicated home theater. It just has to be important enough to you.
jocrazy0

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I get the feeling I'm reading an Apple vs Microsoft vs Linux debate here? I LIKE looking at what others have done building out a dedicated theater space just for the possibilities.... all the while knowing I most probably will not ever have the cash to spend on that kind of endeavor. Isn't that the whole reason for voyeuristic magazines such as Architectural Digest? To see what money CAN buy and stimulate dreams?

I have been lurking here for a number of years gathering ideas and knowledge. Again I may never have the money to fully execute my dreams, but the information will help improve whatever I build. THAT is the reason most of us hang here.... Even to read the Apple vs Microsoft debates....
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it is that kind of Apple vs Microsoft vs Linux debate! Smile

I am in the minority. I have the stupid expensive tiny urban home with the postage stamp sized lot. But I have a pretty nice, but small dedicated theater build shaping up in the basement. It won't have lots of seating and square footage. You won't see the speakers, amps, or much gear in the room (making the room feel bigger then it is). Outside of the soffit and zoned lighting, it might even stray a little on the plain side of things. That's fine, the hidden 2700 watt sound system provides a certain WOW factor.

It doesn't have to be all about money. The nicest home theater ceiling I have ever seen, was DIY. Anaglypta wallpapered ceiling, painted with red metallic paint, and lit by rope crown lighting. $250 in materials, but it sure had that Architectural Digest "WOW" factor.

Ever see Theo K's comments on the Radio City Home Theater where the build budget for the empty space was $50K? His first thought was "Run Theo Run". But he pulled it off, on budget. He went for the feel of Radio City in a small space, and did the room with drywall, wood, paint, and lighting. That is an Architectural Digest room. If it was done DIY, it would be very affordable to duplicate.

And lastly, there are serious bargains out there, on new and slightly used gear. NEVER has it been as easy to assemble a very nice theater on a budget, as it is right now.

Last edited by Tedd on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: