Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

which should i use for gamma...Lumagen HDP or Moome hdmicard

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armstrr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: which should i use for gamma...Lumagen HDP or Moome hdmicard Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
i have both in my video chain feeding a 9500lc.

i have the eye one lt and calman, but got frustrated and spent an afternoon at work (heehee) reading Kal's excellent guide. I ended up doing a manual greyscale adjustment using the free program he suggested. my first attemp worked well.

at the time, the moome card was turned all the way up (or is it down...). my gamma reading was high at 2.7. i adjusted the moome card (all 20 clicks or the remote) while displaying a dark image and noticed an improvement. i remeasured and it is still high at 2.6ish. so i ran out of adjustment (and time...it was 130am...). i know i can use a screwdriver to get more gamma control. so should i continue with the moome? leave it where it is at and make further adjustments with the lumagen? or back off the moome all the way and use the lumagen?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumagen.

athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
armstrr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i right that gamma is built in to the 11 point greyscale calibration? or is that a seperate adjustment after the fact?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armstrr wrote:
am i right that gamma is built in to the 11 point greyscale calibration? or is that a seperate adjustment after the fact?

There is a separate menu for Gamma, you can even adjust gamma per color if you want. But most just use it globally for all colors at specific IRE's.

I wanted to boost gamma from 2.5 IRE to 15 and lower it a bit at 100 so i used 7 points from 2.5 to 15 and one at 100.
its great because you can change the normal 10 IRE intervals to what ever you want according to your gamma curve results. so if you see its not flat in those points you can straighten it out, or if you want to bump it up there feel free to do so, it depends on what your going after. Sometimes calibration is personal preference more than what is 100% correct.

Athnaasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athanasios,

Hey - You obviously now have your Lumagen in your signal chain to your Tvone's. While you obviously can't get separate gamma adjustments for each projector, there should be a huge difference (hopefully). Has it helped correct the visibility of the blend zone, especially at the dark end?

Also, how are you getting readings at the low IRE levels? If it is working OK, what sensor are you using?

Bob
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not added it yet. for some reason they dont like each other. I know i can get them to work. I am trying to use pass through which turns off all scaling but allows the gamma and cms. But it makes everything look like its missing lines and pixels. Something i am doing is wrong.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! That sucks. Must be a compatibility issue either between yout souce/scaler ot scaler/Tvones. Have you tried both 24 and 60hz out of your Lumagen?
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athanasios - This might sound strange, but have you tried bypassing your HDMI splitter to see if that is theproblem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: