Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G90 plus IFB-FULLHD v2 - setup and input settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussSi

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: G90 plus IFB-FULLHD v2 - setup and input settings Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just received my IFB-FULLDH card this week so I'm new to this product, forum, and quite frankly to HDMI. I've been living in an RGB/VGA world since I got my G90 back in 2000. So I'm full of ignorance and questions! Mr. Green

Equipement:
Sony G90
Integra HDC-9.9
Windows 7 Media Center PC (with Blu-Ray drive, OTA HD tuner, etc.)
Lexicon RT-10 DVD
Directv HD Sat. receiver
Xbox 360 Elite (1080p via HDMI out)

I have a Faroudja DVP-3000 but I shouldn't need that anymore.

Ok, here's what I've done so far. Stuck the card in the projector. Connected card to HDMI out of Integra. Set INPUT B in G90 to RGB, CLAMP to HP, etc. (I'd have to look to see what some of the other settings are at now as I've changed them up a bit trying to get a good signal).

When I was first trying to config the Input Settings I had CLAMP set to Auto and I had a messed up image (dark banding across it). I switched CLAMP to HP and the image seems to be more clear and has stabilized. But I have not made any changes to the various settings on the IFB card. So...

Questions:
1. What *should* my input settings be in the G90?
2. Are their output settings I need to tweak in the Integra?
3. What should the various settings on the IFB card be? Like Output range?
4. 444/442? Where to I configure this and to what?

I'm sure I'm missing something but this is a good start. I super excited to get this working and have the projector calibrated perfectly! My goal is to be able to switch all my sources (I'd like to add an Oppo BD-83 to the mix) through the Integra and have everything "just work".

I really appreciate any advise and feedback I can get fromthe experts on this forum! So thanks in advance!

-Russ

P.S. Anyone on here in the Seattle area and know of someone who is "talented" at calibrating a G90?
cinema mad

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Russ

It sounds like you have your G90 config correctly,
Set up the correct Contrast and brightness on the G90

Before Installing Moome Card into G90, turn Gamma Adjustmens screw Anti Clock wise all the way to off position
(listen for little click sound) then turn 1-2 complete turn's clock wise to start with.. Do Not Touch The CONTRAST SCREW on Full HD Card as its factory set for video 16-235..
If your Moome Card is the latest V2 Full-HD Press Button "C" on the Remote so that Black Boost 16-235 function is engaged

For Blu-Ray playback
Set your Integra Pre-Pro under the HDMI monitor settings menu set to "Yes'
Set the HDMI video signal flow and resolution to "Pass through"
Assign each HDMI IN to an input selector of your choice IE: "DVD button" for Blu-ray playback

HDMI Audio setting is set to "OFF"
Under Advance Set up Set Immediate display to "OFF'

For Optimum Results Oppo Player should be config to output HDMI YcBcR4:2:2..

You will need to Re Tweek the Gamma setting in the Moome Full-HD card using the Remote for Fine Tune and mabe the
Gamma Screw...

Hope this helps,
Cheers...
RussSi

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I'll make the tweeks you suggest. Seems I was pretty close. I had the Integra HDMI Out set to scale to 1080p. But I guess since my PC, Xbox, and Sat Receiver will be set to output 1080p I can just use "Pass Through". And once I do get a dedicated Blu-Ray player (like the Oppo) same will be true.

I've added some images I snapped last night. These are from Blu-Ray discs in my Media Center PC using TotalMedia 3 player. Clearly I now need to go through a full calibration of the projector - but it's not unwatchable right now.

Oh, quick question - any tips on setting the contrast and brightness? They are currently parked at the factory defaults. Is there a particular test pattern or content that I should be viewing when setting these?

Thanks again!

-Russ

IMG_6017_small.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_6017_small.jpg
 Filesize:  455.33 KB
 Downloaded:  659 Time(s)

IMG_6006_small.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_6006_small.jpg
 Filesize:  493.62 KB
 Downloaded:  646 Time(s)

cinema mad

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Russ,

To Set the G90's Contrast and Brightness, The easiest way is to use A Blu-Ray such as DVE HD Basics or DVD DVE these contain the
test patterns needed...

Because You have your Contrast and brightness set to factory Default, unless you are running A Large screen,
I think its safe to say that You will be wearing your tubes out much faster/ unnecessarily running Contrast at 80...

Cheers...
RussSi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the good news is I only have 890 hours on them so far. I know - that's pathetic - but true.

I did turn them down a bit today, but I plan to get the DVE HD disc and use that.

By the way - I was noticing that there are adjustments in the Integra for brightness, contract, etc. The defaults are zero. I'm assuming they should stay zero and all these adjustments should be done in the projector.

Also, I'm noticing a funny behavior when I switch input sources on the Integra - the projector doesn't detect the input and pull the right settings stored in its memory. So for instance - if I'm watching the Sat Receiver (and it looks fine) then I switch to the input that my Media Center PC is on I get a blurry/unconverged image. However, if I switch the projector to Input-A then back to Input-B it seems to detect the PC signal correctly and display it just fine. Is there a way to get this to work without having to do this input switch? It's not a huge deal and something I can probably automate with my Pronto remote - but it would be nice if it just worked...

By the way, thanks for all your help!

-Russ
cinema mad

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why this is happening is because the Sat Receiver and other Source Devices have different resolutions thus timmings are different..
You need to set the Source device's so they "All output 1080p" if possible that way (hopefully) the projector only needs to be set up using one memory block, if this is not done the Projector (G90) will behave in the way you discribe above ..

You can ruin your CRT Tubes in as little as 800Hrs or less if you Drive the tubes to hard/ the electron Beam is shooting off the side of the Tube/ incorrectly set up the G90 IE:
Center the Raster on the Tube Face inc maximising the Raster on the Tube face within the Safe Zone (not G90 Default) by positioning the G90 optimally from the Screen to allow the Raster to use the Max safe limit of the Tube face..

If your Screen is under 110" I would set the Contrast to 65 for now and Brightness to around 50, then set the Gamma on the Moome card inc Ingaging BBF by pressing button "C" on the Moome Cards remote Just untill you Get yourself A Calibration Disk Such as The BLU-RAY DVE HD Basics..

Cheers..
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: