Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Help a noob out with calibration (Gamma and Contrast)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karoloydi

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Help a noob out with calibration (Gamma and Contrast) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I ve read on the Calibration for Dummies thread that contrast should be set to 30-40 ftL if you have an lcd. After googling I ve read some other people saying that up to 80 ftL is ok for lcds. The reason why I am asking is that my living room, where my tv is, I have no windows. So setting my tv at 30-40 ftL will make it look really dull during the day.

Also, I was wondering if I could set the gamma higher than 2.2. I have finished calibrated (with 80 ftL contrast) and all the values are really excellent(all colors close to 100%, DeltaE Values less than 3, luminance follows the line, Gamma 2.2) , but to my eyes it looks like theres something missing. it looks to me a bit washed out to my liking. Before I calibrated it the blacks looked really black. Is it ok for lcds to go higher in gamma, lets say up to 2.5?

Will the combination of too high contrast and too high gamma be bad, if all the other values are properly calibrated?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because of the 80 ftl try 40 ftl and see how it looks then, also you might have the Brightness(black level) setting to high.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
karoloydi

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
That's because of the 80 ftl try 40 ftl and see how it looks then, also you might have the Brightness(black level) setting to high.

Athanasios

I ve already tried calibrating with 40 tfL. The picture wasnt bright enough to watch during the day. I even tried 70 tfL and it still wasnt enough.
Funny thing is that before the calibration the tv was at 130 tfL and the black levels were really good.
I just want to know what the limits are that I can push the gamma and the contrast before the calibration is not optimal.

Also, is it still correct to use the 0.65%x 100 IRE Value to find the correct brightness if your contrast is at 80 tfL?
And what the correct percentage would be if your target was gamma of 2.5?
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find myself reducing Gain/Contrast below the manufactures recommended settings to get a better contrast ratio and Gamma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: