Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone looking forward to Intel's Sandy Bridge?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Anyone looking forward to Intel's Sandy Bridge? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was thinking it might be good, but to expensive. I then caught this over at Toms:
Quote:
If you already own a platform and don't want to invest in a new motherboard, you can probably upgrade to any of the CPUs on our recommended list without worrying too much about the future. For anyone planning a complete upgrade, though, realize that we're on the verge of Intel's Sandy Bridge architecture introduction, so consider holding off a little longer to see how the market change within the next two weeks. Intel's next-generation design is expected to have a significant impact on the processor landscape, especially as it pertains to media encoding/decoding (Ed.: I wish I could say more at this point, but it'll be big; trust me).

I saw somewhere else that media encoding/decoding should be a huge performance increase. I have been a value buyer, which usually puts me in the AMD camp. Depending on how good Intel's new chips are, I may decide to go this route.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been mildly following the news coming out of SE Asia. Intel hasn't officially announced products being released, but HP, MSI, Asus and others already have finished products waiting for the CES releaese for us Yanks while the rest of the world secretly has it already. The new MSI motherboards will be killer for gamers in the 8 USB3 connectors and four x16 PCI-X slots. I cannot imagine someone bridging four video cards in parallel.

BTW, Sandy bridge uses a slightly different CPU pin count.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOO Yes! I suppose I should hold off on my x6 build and see if this either drops the AMD chip prices or if the Intel setups will be in the same ballpark with more performance.

Hopefully lots of good news at this CES...man this last year flew by....I remember anticipating last CES.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan,
So you are saying that the rest of the world has already got the new chips?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Wan,
So you are saying that the rest of the world has already got the new chips?
From and OEM standpoint, sure. From a retail standpoint, sure.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China, Malaysia, Taiwan and Japan are a far cry from the rest of the world.Wink
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sandy for me it gets stuck in the cracks Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Rest of the world to me means not the USA (or NA). What, them having access already wasn't enough for you? And are you going to ignore the Dell and HP products already made?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
Rest of the world to me means not the USA (or NA). What, them having access already wasn't enough for you? And are you going to ignore the Dell and HP products already made?

I agree, but those places always get electronics early. If you said Europe and Brazil already had it, then I would agree with the rest of the world claim.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for someone like me that builds computers, and noting most of the component suppliers are were the components are available, I felt it significant enough to say what I did. Also, the components were already being supplied to OEM companies like HP and Dell.

But if you want to treat it as if it'll be Q2 before anything is available so be it.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying. I just don't think it is that significant. Everyone knows that Taiwan gets most of the new electronics before everyone else.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that Intel is already supply volume to not just the component folks, but also the OEM folks. BTW, this now includes IBM in both desktop and mobile products.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Anandtech review of the ASRock Sandy Bridge motherboard is sweet. Not only is there a CMOS clear button on the back panel, but there is also Power and Reset buttons on the motherboard itself.

The pics are large.

ASRock_5s.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.27 KB
 Viewed:  15287 Time(s)

ASRock_5s.JPG

ASRock_4s.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.18 KB

ASRock_4s.JPG

ASRock_1s.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.6 KB

ASRock_1s.JPG

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the last picture of the motherboard I can see the commercial already . . .

I could of had a V8!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/03/intels-2nd-generation-core-processor-family-announced-includes/

It doesn't sound that astounding on the video encoding front...they claim 17x faster than previous integrated video solutions...who the hell uses integrate video to help encode video??

How does it compare to a decent $100 AMD or NVidia card?
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,
Read the reviews. I have only looked at the mobile review on Anand and the Sandy mobile is faster than high end desktops with video cards. I won't be able to read the review till tonight, but for around $225 the 2500 looks like a good CPU. I may have to pull the trigger on this.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested/16
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, one needs to do some digging, but there are some non Core i processors being slated for use with Sandy bridge, too. So, it isn't like you have to use a CPU with integrated graphics.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they are out now. For once, I wish I was in Atlanta. Microcenter has a great combo deal for $280. It is a P67mobo with a 2500k chip. I would prefer a H67 mobo to use the IGP though. Microcenter does this every year. If Tigerdirect did this, then I would be in the store yesterday.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Well, they are out now. For once, I wish I was in Atlanta. Microcenter has a great combo deal for $280. It is a P67mobo with a 2500k chip. I would prefer a H67 mobo to use the IGP though. Microcenter does this every year. If Tigerdirect did this, then I would be in the store yesterday.

Damn...could they have made this any MORE confusing?!

Need a processor with a "K" on the end to get unlocked...if you get a P67 you can overclock the CPU cores, if you get an H67 you can overclock the graphics cores...

Why not have a chipset that allows both overclocking?! Which chipset is better for media encoding?

P67 with overclocked CPU and discrete video card?
H67 with overclocked graphics?

The guy from Newegg was trying to be subtle in telling them that they screwed up by making it an 1155 socket and not compatible with current sockets, didn't change the naming convention enough, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGxMdwJ1Rjk&feature=player_embedded#!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about the naming. It is confusing, but I end up looking at the socket number. The bigger issue for me is that you can't use the IGP on a P67 mobo. All of the combos have P67 mobos. I want to use the IGP for everyday computing and throw in a card when I want to play a game.

My best friend and I had this argument the other day. How many people are gamers? I didn't specify, but I was talking about real gamers. My guess is that gamers make up about five percent of the market. He thinks it is more like twenty five percent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: