Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Another Remote Control Thread Marquee

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Another Remote Control Thread Marquee Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey All,
I am looking for another remote for my Wife to control my HT system.

I use RF for all my control

Currently I have an MX650 and a MX3000.
The problem with the MX650 is that there is no computer interface to program it, also no Marquee frequency ability.
The MX3000 is just too big for her to use every day. I run DMX-3000 software for my DVD collection, also no Marquee frequency ability.

So my question is,
Is there a remote that I can control my Marquee, plus all other equipment, plus use with my RF bases??

The bases are the MRF 250, and MRF 300.
http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=42

Appreciate any comments

Cheers
Steve
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I gave up on universal remotes, remote extenders and things like that a couple of years ago and went with Crestron. It was the best thing I ever did. All the theater equipment is rack mounted along with the Crestron processor which sends IR or RS232 to the equipment and a long serial cable from the equipment room to the projector for control. Crestron even has control of my rack mounted APC ups that protects everything. The only equipment in my theater is the projector, screen, speakers and 10.4 inch touch panel on the table. The table mounted one is wired and I have a smaller wireless touch panel that I can wander around the house with or use for up close to the screen tweaking. Anything you could ever need to control a kick a$$ theater can be found on e-bay for pennies on the dollar.

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, I use the Harmony 1000 and it works perfectly . The only IR use is for the Marquee and it turns it on with a quick push, not the hold down for a few seconds like the original remote. But using it for adjustments and so forth nothing beats an original remote, or the marquee loader program(you actually get more precision adjustments with it). I had it set up for all my aspect ratios, sources, memories, etc.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Blending Projector Harmony Control Reply with quote

Dear Athanasios;

When one is blending 2 Marquee projectors, as you and I are, one can set projector A on remote protocol A and set projector B on remote protocol B, thereby allowing the use of 2 Marquee remotes in the HT at the same time. (The other way to do it is to leave both projectors on protocol A, and place the projector you don't want to control on standby. A much less useful way of doing things.)

Does the Harmony 1000 allow control of both projectors, using both protocols A and B?

William

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a pronto tsu9600 which should control the marquee and anything else depending on how you configure it. It can be mated with the rfx9400 or an rfx9600 serial extender. Won't be cheap though.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again this is one of the great benifits of using a system like mine. If you have two identical devices you wish to control independently, you can assign projector A to comport A or IR port A and projector B to com B ir IR B and it's bullit proof.
If it's IR you just need to make sure the other projector can't see the others IR emmiter.

wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: A More Complete Answer Reply with quote

Dear Chip;

I have the AMX (Landmark) equivalent of your Creston control system. I have not set it up yet. It will take a lot of time to do so. I wanted to try a quicker way, with my Harmony 1100. The only components I have a question about, are the 2 Marquee Ultras.

William

Last edited by wkosmann on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A More Complete Answer Reply with quote

wkosmann wrote:
Dear Chip;

I have the AMX (Lamdmark) equivalent of your Creston control system. I have not set it up yet. It will take a lot of time to do so. I wanted to try a quicker way, with my Harmony 1100. The only components I have a question about, are the 2 Marquee Ultras.

William

I don't do AMX so I can't help you with that. I don't really know the Harmony so I can't help you with that. I do know that you can control the Marquee via RS-232 which would be ideal for a blend or stack using a high end control system. I know Mike Parker has a Crestron processor in his shop for working on Marquees in shop from commercial applications. You should discuss the benifits of serial control with him. For me, there's no better way to do it.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can set it up for different protocols , Gino was the first one to mention this on an AVS thread. I have to look for the link. But I think the Harmony remotes for even a complex system like mine works fine. Even though u don't set up A/B protocols I just put the one in stand by like you mentioed, it even turn on and off my lutron remote dimmer lights. But I am waiting for the release of iRule remote app for the iPhone, it will use a RS232 IR gateway to control IR and RS 232 devises via wifi from the iPhone. Looks very very promising.

ecrab id a beta tester right now so maybe he can chime in on that.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

HK-Steve

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies,

Crestron or AMX would be nice, but very costly.
Maybe I can budget for the next year to get one of these systems.
All my equipment is located in one rack,
The only things in my HT are the speakers, Projector and 2x Power amps. Plus remotes of course.

The Harmony would be a good solution IF it works with my RF recievers.
I saw that the Harmony remote RF output is Z-Wave, sub Gigahertz frequency range.
My reciever frequency is 418MHz, so doesn't look like it is compatible.
That would mean I need 3 Harmony recievers to replace my current 2 recievers.

The Pronto's, are expensive, but look like they would do everything I want but at a big cost.

Looks like I will have to keep the Marquee remote on the coffee table for a little longer.

Cheers
Steve
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, there are two fifferent RF extenders for the Harmony, a US and a euro version.

Logitech Supprt

What do you have source wise that you think will not work? I might be able to check the data base by looking to see if your device is listed.

Also the RF remote extender has 4 outputs and the IR repeaters have two emitters for a total of 8 sources. If you have a few more like 10 or 12 and they are not the same device( like a pioneers 400 disc changer and a pioneer single disc which use the same frequencies codes) you can put the emitter in a location where it will hit two or three devices, like on the cabinet door. That should be enough for most systems.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

HK-Steve

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you have source wise that you think will not work? I might be able to check the data base by looking to see if your device is listed.

I am not sure what you mean by this quote??

I looked at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Wave
Frequency band: The Z-Wave Radio uses the 900 MHz ISM band: 908.42MHz (United States); 868.42MHz (Europe); 919.82MHz (Hong Kong); 921.42MHz (Australia/New Zealand).

URC MX-650, MX-3000 are my 2 remotes,
The RF recievers are URC MRF 250, MRF 300

I have a lot of equipment that I control from the RF recivers,

2x Sony 777ES 400 disk DVD players
Pioneer CLD-07G Laser Disk player
LG Hard Drive recorder
AM/FM Tuner Yamaha TX-550
2x Sony CDP-CX455 400 Disk CD Players
Iscan Ultra
SDI switcher
Digital Audio Switcher
Tag McLaren AV32R processor
Sky Satellite Box
HD Leeza
2x Popcorn A-110 Hour Media Players
My control unit for lights, amplifiers (turned on and off with Master System on/off)

Then the last one would be the Marquee.

So that is 17 ports for IR control required.

All of my equipment is in a sectioned horizontal rack, so not possible to bounce IR signals from a distance.
I tried the blaster on the RF recievers, but this was very unreliable.

Cheers
Steve
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Ok, you would need the RF logitech receivers too , i thought you had equipment with built in RF. I did not know you had a separate RF to IR repeater. I am pretty sure that you can use more than one Logitech RF extender with the units. I have to look it up.

But from my experience and your list of EQ, looks like they all would work. and for the Marquee you would not need a RF repeater as the IR directly from the H1000 works extremely well, better than the original remote.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

HK-Steve

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the RF logitech receivers are not addressable???
If they are not, then no deal for me.

Cheers
Steve
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are addressable if you have the same name brand EQ that might use the same IR codes, I have two Pioneer DVD players and i address the outputs for individual IR repaters.

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

HK-Steve

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was not clear enough,
Can I have RF reciever no1, no2 and no3??

Cheers
Steve
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HK-Steve wrote:
Sorry, I was not clear enough,
Can I have RF reciever no1, no2 and no3??

Cheers
Steve

Hmm Not sure about that, But i assume so if you can add RF receivers and the outs are addressable I assume the Receivers would be also. Id have to experiment by buying another extender.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

HK-Steve

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two switch on the bottom of my recievers that allow me to select the RF channel I want.
Something like 12 channels per reciever IIRC

Cheers
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: