Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anybody up on business projectors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Anybody up on business projectors? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK, so our really old office InFocus portable is dead or at least needs a new bulb. I've always hated the POS, anyway and we've always wanted one that could be installed to get it off the conference room table, so our purchasing folks recommended one for us: An NEC NP600. $1500 XGA 3LCD with 3500 lumens (2450 in eco-mode) and a whopping 500:1 on/off. Seriously? Ummm... that sucks. Based on my reaction, my manager asked me to make an alternate recommendation.

I was thinking a WXGA projector would be cool... Pixel-matched XGA for PowerPoint, as well as WXGA when we want to watch some March Madness, lunchtime trailers, shorts, YouTube stuff, etc. in 720p. Wink

I don't think I'm interested in LCD, so does anybody have a recommendation for a 1280x800 DLP in the low-teens? I know in HT, Optoma DLP has a pretty decent rep... This is a brand new model that looks pretty decent, but it isn't even on the Optoma site. Anybody know anything about it or have any opinions about an office digital one way or the other?

Optoma PRO350W, 2800 ANSI, 3000:1 on/off, $750

Thanks,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How large is the screen? What are the average room conditions going to be? If the lights are always on, 500:1 may look nearly as good as 3000:1, and 3500 lumens would look better than 2800.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually dim the lights... I think the screen is probably a 6-7' wide 1.0 matte and our old machine was a single-chip tiny DLP - 1100 lumens, 400:1 on/off... Even with 1100 lumens, brightness hasn't really been a problem. Even 2500 should look great.

Plus, I want it to look great when we turn off the lights, hence the desire for more on/off. Wink

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out the Canon LCOS. I haven't looked at them in a couple of years, but they are bright and should be down around your price point. I know you said you didn't want LCD, but for $1500 you have a bunch of 1080p pjs out there.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a reliability point, I'd take LCD over DLP. Just my experience.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. Really, Curt? I know the color wheel is an issue, but on the other hand, Ive seen so many effed up LCDs with blobs, streaks, and faded panels. eBay is littered with 5-yr old LCDs with shot panels.

Pick your poison, I guess.

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been in a conference room for a conference in over a year. The advent of conference bridges and Net/Live Meetings simply done away with forced elbow rubbing. But I understand the need to continue the antiquity for the sake of the old farts. Certainly there are business projectors with more resolution, no? Not that I would use this site for anything else, try here for a general database of make/models, with off-shoots for pricing.

BTW, if in any form of presentation I am referring to any of my desktops, I am running higher than WXGA. Anything not much more than this can be handled by asking folks to break out their damn smartphones.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan,
For some reason, business pjs are still in the XGA arena. Pete Putnam has talked about it and there really is no good reason,

Crabb,
After thinking about it some more, why don't you be the LED guinea pig? Casio has a new LED/laser hybrid pj that is supposed to be pretty nice. I thought I read it was less than what is in the second link, but it is still pretty good.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/projectors/275074/casio-announces-high-power-led-projectors-complete-with-laser-technology
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://www.casio.co.jp/release/2010/xj-a155.html&sl=auto&tl=en

I think I read LG is coming out with an XGA LED. The SVGA one is pretty cheap, so I can't imagine the XGA costing more than $1k.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do not think business projectors are going to be cheap. You can find higher resolution bright projectors, but not on a dime store budget. These people feel if you are in business and need a real business projector then you can afford the real business cost. The days of supporting poor businesses is over.

But, I still hold my position on the need to host in-person conferences. I could understand if this was a traveling use asset, but I did not get that impression from SC. Mind you one can buy a 1080P projector in the 4000 ANSI arena and really combat all that silly ambient light.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, unless this is a really big projected image only need apply scenario, get one of those cheap flat panels in the 58" variety. You can get an LG 60" plasma (think wide viewing cone) 1080P for ~$1600.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think business projectors will be cheap. You can find a clear resolution of projectors, but not a budget store. These people know where you are on business and needed a real projector, you can make a real business cost. Days supports the poor business is over.
jocosaevans

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find a clear solution of projectors, but not a budget shop. These people know where you are travelling on business and needs a real projector, you can get an operating cost. Now supports companies is poor. I could understand if it were a trip to use force, but I do not think SC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: