Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

compromiseville room setup :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurse mark

TV/Projector: Barco Data 701

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: compromiseville room setup :) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hiya, so I live in a small rented apartment and have had to make some compromises but considering I don't have any other way to get a decent throw distance from the 701 I'm pretty happy.

That said, the blackout cloth roller blind is just a tad too short ( increasing pj angle would mean raising the sofa some more and it's be too high ). Also those blinds are a bit wavy horizontally so need to find a way to tension it.

Just grabbed a D50 from ebay on the cheap ( am a student nurse so very limited funds atm ) so will install that at some point. Oh how I wish for a bigger place Smile

Here's the room :

Here's the PJ :

And here's the 5min setup result ( with the lights on ) Surprised)

Any ideas for making it better gladly accepted.[/img]
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had good luck with DIY cloth screens. I couldn't get them to be wrinkle free no matter what I did. I'd go with a rigid board of some sort. You could secure to an easel type mount. Then you could put a nice black border on it. The black border helps make the edges look more "movie like".

How is the audio? maybe a better subwoofer or a few other little things will help the movie experience.

Otherwise, it looks good enough to enjoy some movies or games! Smile
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, is that a stethoscope hanging on the wall? too funny.
paw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Wilsonart Designer White laminate but I see you're in the UK and they probably don't sell it there.

Say, is that the Big Bang Theory you've got on? I love that show. Didn't know it was in the UK.

nurse mark

TV/Projector: Barco Data 701

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, yeah - I'm a student nurse and it's my dad's steth from when he trained as a doctor in the fifties Surprised)

The roller blind sucks big time so I'll prob just make a blackout cloth fixed frame screen at some point.

Did a bit of thinking and I'm gonna build a little platform with a gap in the middle to put the sofa onto - will allow me to move the pj further back and therefore a bigger screen Surprised) Just gotta collect the D50 and see what difference there is in screen throw and angle first.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, stretch the cloth onto a frame and it's real easy to get it ripple-free.

Looks like a great setup considering the room and budget limitations!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: