Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony 1252q + 100" curved vutec screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornelius

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Sony 1252q + 100" curved vutec screen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've got a 100" curved silver vutec screen, that I want to use with a sony 1252q, mainly for gaming. I've read that you shouldn't ceiling mount a projector when using a curved screen. Is this true? My ceilings in the basement are 8', and the projector will hang about a foot down from that after being mounted.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you read that. The issue that you will have is running out of electronic control. I think bow is probably the biggest problem. Based on your description, you should be fine, but that will depend on the 1252. The great thing about the Vutec is that you should have brightness to spare. One guy was getting 30 ft/lmbs with his screen.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he was getting at is the high-gain Vutec... It's angular-reflective, so it could hot-spot/color-shift badly because of the seating position relative to the screen and projector. That wouldn't be a problem if it was floor-mounted. I've never seen a ceiling-mounted machine on a high-gain curved screen, so I can't say if it'll be a problem. I've read the same thing though - that you can't do it.

Cornelius, you can test it without mounting... Just put your projector in the room about where you'd sit, and then watch the image from where the projector's lenses will be. That should give you a pretty good idea what it will look like. Try watching some flat color fields... Blue skies, deserts, snowy mountains.

I would think the geometry controls should be more than adequate... You can put/take a ton of bow and pin into/out of the picture.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious where you are getting that it would not hot spot or color shift if floor mounted. The only way I could see that it would mitigate it more is being slightly off angle. The Vutec should have enough curve to keep uniformity in check. Color shift will still be a problem, but there is no way around it on a high gain screen.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed... I shouldn't have. It depends on the gain and whether it's reflective or retro-reflective. If it's a very high-gain retro-reflective screen, then the reflection will be directed back up at the projector, and the picture will suck in the seating position. If it's angular reflective, I guess it should be fine, as along as it's not too high-gain.

SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you have to remember with a curved screen. The screen has to be able to tilt so you can aim it at the level your sitting. Ceiling mounting is fine and if you don't try cleaning the screen with a soft cloth there should be no hot spotting. Geometry should also be fine.
cornelius

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen is one of the old vutec silver torus screens. I read that you shouldn't ceiling mount, because the light is reflected back up at the screen. I figured if the projector was hung low enough. it wouldn't really matter. Just wanted to make sure.

The screen can be tilted. I will try setting the projector up on the floor, and standing, to see how that will look.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornelius wrote:
The screen is one of the old vutec silver torus screens. I read that you shouldn't ceiling mount, because the light is reflected back up at the screen. I figured if the projector was hung low enough. it wouldn't really matter. Just wanted to make sure.

The screen can be tilted. I will try setting the projector up on the floor, and standing, to see how that will look.

What if you turn it upside down?

I have owned a bunch of curved screens but I dont remember if any were vutec. I never had a brightness problem as long as I would tilt it. Your experiment sounds like a plan.

The brightness change is very noticeable as you tilt it so its not something that you have to guess at.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornelius wrote:
The screen is one of the old vutec silver torus screens. I read that you shouldn't ceiling mount, because the light is reflected back up at the screen.

Based on that, it sounds like a retro-reflective screen. Turning it upside down wouldn't accomplish anything, Mac.

I'd just go ahead with the test and see how it looks.

Cheers,
SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
cornelius wrote:
The screen is one of the old vutec silver torus screens. I read that you shouldn't ceiling mount, because the light is reflected back up at the screen.

Based on that, it sounds like a retro-reflective screen. Turning it upside down wouldn't accomplish anything, Mac.

I'd just go ahead with the test and see how it looks.

Cheers,
SC

I was thinking about this as I was driving 400 miles today. I dont remember what types I use to have or if there was even a type then. I just know they produced a bright pic from a lower output projector. 15 to 1 gain IIRC. Now if this issue of shouldn't ceiling mount because it reflects back to the projector has me thinking. It would have to be that the reflective particles are angled upward for that to happen, which is why I said turn it upside down.The reflective angle would then be opposite. But even if you didn't turn it upside down and the majority of the 15 gain went back up, then there would be less likely hood of hotspotting since hotspotting is the reflection of the tubes through the lenses. And even if you lost half the gain it would still be 7.5 to 1. You would also be lowering the contrast on a higher output projector which also helps hotspotting.

I would like to read some good info on this style screen but being strictly on the air card now I have to watch my air usage.

Do you have any good links for me to read?

But I believe all curved screens have to be tilted for correct viewing.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it isn't that the particles are oriented a certain way... It's that the particles reflect the light back the same way it came - regardless of how you angle or tilt the screen. That's how retroreflection works. With a truly retro-reflective screen, you could move the projector and/or screen wherever you wanted, and the screen is still going to reflect the light back at the source - the projector. Within reason, of course.

Try this, Mac -

http://www.da-lite.com/education/angles_of_view.php?action=details&issueid=29

Quote:
When a screen (or any other reflecting device) is made to be retro-reflective the angle of reflection is not paired with an equal and opposite angle of incidence. The angle of incidence is the angle of reflection. In other words, when light rays strike a retro-reflective surface they only bounce back along the exact path they came in on and therefore end up returned to the projection source from which they originally came.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroreflector

As for angling the screen and potentially still having 5 gain as opposed to 10 on-axis - yes, possibly. And, yes - the angle does matter, but less-so with a retroreflective screen - no matter how you angle it (again, within reason), the material will reflect the light back to the source.

Of course, none of this matters if the OP's Vutec screen isn't retroreflective and is instead, angular. In that case, he'll be good to go.

SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I get the retroreflective thing, and I am also aware of dozens of various types of flat screens, but I was unable to find any curved, retroreflective screens. Got any model numbers?
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a retro screen. Vutec made these by laminating aluminum mylar to gatorboard with an opaque top layer. If you angle the pj and screen correctly, then the light should be focused directly on your seating height.
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not to be cleaned by using a soft cloth, how then should it be cleaned, wouldhave to re-read the fading sticker on the back of my 120"?
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fellow CRT build himself a torusscreen, with some gain and his Barco 808 was hanging from the ceiling, trick was to not angle the screenforward, but having it just up right on the wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: