Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Mystery Vidikron
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
206Chris

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Mystery Vidikron Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK so I picked up a Ferrari red vidikron for 30 bucks the other day... thank you CL... Anyways, I have been trying to identify it, none of the boards, etc. look anything like Marquee, it actually looks a lot like a DWIN. Has anyone seen this?? It has the color corrected HD 145 lenses, Toshiba tubes that appear to be the ones in the dwin 500, and RGBHV input only. Just got it to display 720p, oh and the only remote they had was an IR-1001 Convergence Remote Control. I have a bunch of RTI codes to try to test with my T2C, but I haven't used it in a long time, and the battery is toast. Anyways, if anyone knows what projector this was before it became a Vidikron with the red Pininfarina case from a VPF40, please let me know! This thing appears to be in REALLY good condition, but then again i'm comparing it to my BG808s with about 10k hrs. on it.

I'll upload some pics if necessary

Chris
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, upload the pics, they are Necessary. Smile

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
206Chris

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so heres some pics...

1109 pics PJ.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.8 KB
 Viewed:  16156 Time(s)

1109 pics PJ.JPG

1109 pics PJ 023.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.91 KB

1109 pics PJ 023.JPG

1109 pics PJ 021.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.35 KB

1109 pics PJ 021.JPG

1109 pics PJ 019.JPG
 Description:
Vidikron badging...
 Filesize:  32.39 KB

1109 pics PJ 019.JPG

1109 pics PJ 018.JPG
 Description:
right side mobo
 Filesize:  89 KB

1109 pics PJ 018.JPG

1109 pics PJ 017.JPG
 Description:
left side of mobo
 Filesize:  64.11 KB

1109 pics PJ 017.JPG

1109 pics PJ 016.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.77 KB

1109 pics PJ 016.JPG

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a TGS model, its an Image two. The lenses are worth more than the rest of the PJ.

Looks like it was a rebadge of a Harmon Series 2 Data

http://www.crtinfo.us.vu/crossref.html

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
206Chris

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idunno... the only thing that leads me to think Dwin is that there are no fans, Toshiba tubes, and the RGBHV only... but then again who knows with the rebadged, reconfigured stuff. If I can get 720p, which it seems it will do, or even 1080i, I'll be happy for now...
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not a DWIN. Could be a Harman, I dunno, never seen other than one Harman unit, and that was 10 years ago. The build of the unit looks a bit European, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's sort of a prototype, with Brother labelling tape on the controls???

I think you're on your own with this one, I've never seen one, but for $30, good score! Smile
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, $30!?!!? An owner with one of those around here would have wanted $500 - at least - regardless of the real value.

And w/HD145's! Sweet!!!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
206Chris

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this googling... interesting... who knows

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know what ever happened to the JBL Video Products Group? JBL Professional makes no mention of them on their website or their products.

JBL Video Products Group was the official name given to JBL Professional's attempt to get into the video projector market back about twenty years ago when CRT projection technology was still the status quo.

I installed several JBL model 6810 or 6850 Video Projectors during that time. I still have a JBL Professional Video Products Group Field Service Manual and a Technical Training Manual for the JBL model 6810 Video Projector.

I also have a working (last I checked) mint condition, in factory packaging, JBL model 6850 Video Projector gathering dust. It was a demo model we used in our display room back in the day.

Harman Electronics in Northridge, California managed the JBL Video Products Group for JBL Professional and this relationship went sour.

The video projectors were high end units for their day running upwards of $10,000.00 or better just for the projector and not intended for the consumer market.

There is very little information on the Internet about JBL's video projectors or the JBL Video Products Group. They and the JBL video projector line faded away about 10 years ago.

Anyone know what happened to JBL Video Products Group? Harman Electronics of Northridge, California? Anyone else have any experience with the JBL Professional Video Projectors?

Thanks!
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Curt, there was this Italian link with Maxivideo, http://www.maxivideo.it, wasn't there prior to the Marquee models. Remarably the powersupply label says it was made two years prior to the projector being build, May 99 vs week 25 in 1997.

It sure looks like a TGS model.
206Chris

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty positive it's not a TGS... innards look nothing alike, and they don't seem to use Toshiba tubes. Im thinking more that its a really custom VPF series or Kronos. Getting a new batt for my T2C in the next couple days, so maybe working backwards from remote codes will shed some light.

Does anyone who knows the Toshiba tubes know which ones they are??? cant read the sticker to see if theres a model number...
tse

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a 1997 vintage 60W Spellman HVPS in there.

Scott

Thomas Jefferson
paw

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not give Vidikron a call. Their # is 1-888-484-3457. You've got the PJs serial number.

I poked around Vidikron's website. They had a legacy product section but no CRT PJs there. There was no antique product section to poke around in. Embarassed

stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well gee, it does say right on the projector that it is a "Image Two".

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
206Chris

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right... noticed the 'Image Two'... problem is, what is really inside of it, I did not get the main remote, so I cannot access the menu system yet, and the reason for the post is that its not the standard Electrohome clone... so finding info on setup etc. is pretty hard. You wouldn't happen to know what it really is would you?? I will try to get ahold of Vidikron as soon as I can, but their tech support email is @runco.com, so i'm not sure if there are any guys there left over who would know anything about it. Been digging through AVS archives though... finding interesting clues. Like this thread:

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-499438.html
which says that this Harman that COULD be the orig. projector was made by Dwin engineers, hence the similar layout... and her mentioning the pots for RDF, GDF, etc. match up...
206Chris

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is a clue...

http://office.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/vidikron/vidikron_kronos_one_image2a.html

same case...

getting my batt for my remote soon, time to test some codes and see what I get.
Drez2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The projector in question is absolutely a re-badged Harman video projector. It began as part of the JBL line and when JBL
decided to get out of the video projector biz, one of the lead technicians bought it all out from JBL and began to market it
directly as Harman. I had one and it was a really good projector- much like a Dwin. I was told that it was designed by the same person (don't know if it's true). The max resolution was 1080i on mine- don't know about this one. Harman also
built the projector for the short lived Faroudja 16:9 RP set. The company that built the Harman video projector was
Audio Video Source in Chatsworth California. Last I heard (years ago) they were making Class "D" digital audio amplifiers.

Great buy for $30!
206Chris

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I removed the lenses and the case, and the chassis is almost definately the same as a DWIN. So 720p would be pushing it, it accepted it, but is it too hard on it?? Also, you wouldnt perchance have any remote codes for it would you?? I only got the remote pictured, and as of yet, cannot get into any menus. Any info on how to set it up would be amazing... I love my BG808s, but the tubes are sooo toast. Anyways, I will keep trying to find out more, I have been banging my head against the monitor trying to find a way to control it... using every 'remotely' possible RTI code I can find. I hope I dont have to track down a Home Theater Master SL-8000...???? Was that the remote you had? The Universal that operates the DWINs? help! Exclamation
Drez2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

This is the web page of the company that made your projector:

http://www.avxi.com/

Call them, ask for Mahn (pronounced MAN) he is the person behind it all.

In regards to your remote, I remember that getting into the menu required you to push the PRJ button which allowed access to the set-up- pushing TV disabled the set-up access... as in "watching TV or PROJECTOR access"...

try pushing PRJ, one of the colored buttons then ON/OFF - I think that gets you access. I'll have to try to remember....
it's been many years- sorry. I gave the manual away when I sold the projector.

Dave

PS- make sure you have fresh batteries in the remote and you might want to check that the wires connecting the IR sensor
in connected. They used the connectors that were simply pushed onto the connector and the connection was prone to fail. Push all appropriate wires back into connectors.

Good luck- nice projector!
206Chris

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Ill give him a call on Monday. I'll try that button sequence tonight, so when I want to get into the menus, do I need an input source, or use the test pattern switch. Also, when I switch the test switch, the first position passes thru the input, the second does greyscale, and the third seems to be full on prob for white calibration? Is there a particular switch position to get it? what about the auto/manual power? Also, yet another question, I read that you need to input a Composite source on the Green connector to use the calibration, but this was for a "Harmon" branded model, not a Vidikron... im just wondering because in some cases the re-badge totally revamps the remote, menus, etc... im sure you all know that though.

Thanks to all of you for all your help... just learning about CRT, have had a BG808s for about a year that a friend calibrated, pretty damn well too, and he said it was rough. It's a whole new world, coming from building DIY LCD PJs and installing digis to the wonderful world of CRT. Thumbs Up
Drez2

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need an input to get into the convergence set-up. The test switch position should be in the "off" or whatever all the way in one direction is... I don't know about the sync on green issue. I had 2 Harman CRTs. The first one had sync on green, the other had RGBHV. check how many input BNCs you have. TO check if your remote is even working with the
projector- you should get SOMETHING to happen when you push a button. For instance, the M1, M2,M3 buttons are set-ups for different sources. So if you feed an input source and hit M1 and M2, it should change to a different set-up- assuming there are two in there. OR, push PRJ and then try one of the geometry controls, you should see the picture shape change.
Important to first make sure the remote is talking to the projector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: