Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Qualia 004... would you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Bucketfoot wrote:
I just got a brand spanking new in the box RS2 for significantly less than $3500.

Wow, that's impressive. I wouldn't have guessed there even were any new-in-box RS2's left around, or that if there were, they'd be so inexpensive. I guess the price makes sense, since Pioneer was blowing out the FPJ1's for last spring for under $3000, and it is essentially a 2-year old model.

I suppose that just reinforces the point I was making. I'd MUCH rather have an RS2 (especially brand new with 2-year warranty) for under $3000 than pay $3500 for a Qualia. The only exception would be if you were trying to light up a 14'-wide scope screen... The Qualia would do that well, while the RS2 would fail miserably.

For the average HT like most of ours with 7-10' wide screens and full light control, an RS2 would be a FAR more practical projector than a Qualia.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only two reasons I would ever consider a Qualia.

One, I found one dead cheap, with a spare bulb.

Two, I wanted to do a +14' wide screen and needed the higher light output.

Other than that I would follow the other suggestions and look towards a JVC if I were getting a digital.

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would anyone buy such an old model when the newest extry-level models are probably better and in the same price range?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Why on earth would anyone buy such an old model when the newest extry-level models are probably better and in the same price range?

I think the light output has something to do with it. I can't quote numbers but I remember reading the Qualia is quite a bit brighter than many entry-level models.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
WanMan wrote:

I think the light output has something to do with it. I can't quote numbers but I remember reading the Qualia is quite a bit brighter than many entry-level models.
Oops, I forgot I was speaking about a digital projector and the preferred flashlight desires. Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

Because i have seen the newer models and they dont produce a better picture.... to me.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Because i have seen the newer models and they don't produce a better picture.... to me.
How can you say they don't produce a better picture if you admitted you have not seen them?

What number am I thinking? Mr. Green

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
emdawgz1 wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Because i have seen the newer models and they don't produce a better picture.... to me.
How can you say they don't produce a better picture if you admitted you have not seen them?

What number am I thinking? Mr. Green

Did you rear that right Wan?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
The qualia is a flagship product. Supposedly well built and it has one of the best Digital PJ pictures i have seen. I know people go on about the JVC but around here that thing is vaporware. I cant find a single place w/ one to show.

So to me the Qualia, and the VPW-200 are my goto products.

or maybe a 70 or 60... Embarassed

Hey Analog,

I think Wan is referring to this post from John on page 1. FWIW my opinion would be to get a new or used RS2 if all my CRTs exploded tomorrow. The JVC's have proven reliable as far as digitals go, and throw an excellent picture. The 004 on the other hand has proven to be failure-prone with $$$$$$$ bulbs and Sony "flagship" repair costs to go along with it. Throw in the JVC being cheaper, and for me that seals the deal.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
emdawgz1 wrote:
The qualia is a flagship product. Supposedly well built and it has one of the best Digital PJ pictures i have seen. I know people go on about the JVC but around here that thing is vaporware. I cant find a single place w/ one to show.

So to me the Qualia, and the VPW-200 are my goto products.

or maybe a 70 or 60... Embarassed

Hey Analog,

I think Wan is referring to this post from John on page 1. FWIW my opinion would be to get a new or used RS2 if all my CRTs exploded tomorrow. The JVC's have proven reliable as far as digitals go, and throw an excellent picture. The 004 on the other hand has proven to be failure-prone with $$$$$$$ bulbs and Sony "flagship" repair costs to go along with it. Throw in the JVC being cheaper, and for me that seals the deal.

Then I take it I took it out of context. I sit corrected.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Did you rear that right Wan?

'

That's a really personal question that really isn't suitable for even this liberal forum.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, Ben. Your sentiments mirror mine. Like I pointed out already, the exception would be if you were doing a 14' scope screen with seating for a dozen... In that case, the JVC would be a non-starter, and the Qualia might be a good candidate - drawbacks included. But, since I don't think that's the theater John has in mind (at least, he hasn't said so), the Qualia just doesn't make sense to me.

SC
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Exactly, Ben. Your sentiments mirror mine. Like I pointed out already, the exception would be if you were doing a 14' scope screen with seating for a dozen... In that case, the JVC would be a non-starter, and the Qualia might be a good candidate - drawbacks included. But, since I don't think that's the theater John has in mind (at least, he hasn't said so), the Qualia just doesn't make sense to me.

SC

Actually, what i really, REALLY want to do is a wide screen, I have this image in my head of Ben Hur on a 14 ft screen!!!!!

So if i go Digi, it will be w/ an anamorphic

Last edited by emdawgz1 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
Actually, what i really, REALLY want to do is a wide screen, I have this image in my of Ben Hur on a 14 ft screen!!!!!

Not to throw a wet blanket on your dream theater, but can your current space support such a screen? If not, and you don't have definitive plans to move now, the 004 will be even more devalued by the time you do move. Whatever you end up buying, I sure wouldn't buy a digital *now* for use in *6-12-18 months* because by then these things will have dropped by half again.

I think I know what you're after - I absolutely love industrial/commercial, way-more-than-I-need equipment. I have too many CRTs, a Canon professional SLR, if I had the space and electricity to burn I'd own a commercial 2-group espresso machine. But the 004 just does not live up to it's flagship placement except for cost and brightness, if you can't have your 14ft screen right now at least wait until you move, by then the 004 will be pocket change.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
Actually, what i really, REALLY want to do is a wide screen, I have this image in my of Ben Hur on a 14 ft screen!!!!!

I have an image of Ben Hur on a big scope screen, too John... When (not if) I eventually go digital, it will also be anamorphic on a 10'+ wide scope screen... But, I can tell you one thing - it ain't happening in the house I live in now. The only way it work is if I converted my room to a 3-seater. There are already plenty of times we wish we had room for more than 6, so I definitely wouldn't trade 3 seats for a bigger screen that even fewer friends/family could enjoy.

The next house... I'm there.

SC
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the one i was looking at went for 3500.00

ebay # 300361790995

It was the pj, w/ a low hour bulb, a brand new bulb, remote and factory mount.....

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. From about $30,000 to $3,500 on ebay in under 4 years. Ouch. Makes even CRT depreciation look modest by comparison.

I guess with the spare bulb and ceiling mount, all for $3500, it was a pretty damn good deal... But, still... Unless you had a room almost ready to go, and unless you were doing a 12'-wide scope screen or something, I don't think the liability was worth it (personally).

The winning bidder may have been willing to go to $5,000, too - no way to know.

Were you seriously considering it, John?

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC, while the depreciation is surely amazing, it is even more amazing how the entry-level 1080P pricing gets for digital, and so soon.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Wow. From about $30,000 to $3,500 on ebay in under 4 years. Ouch. Makes even CRT depreciation look modest by comparison.

I guess with the spare bulb and ceiling mount, all for $3500, it was a pretty damn good deal... But, still... Unless you had a room almost ready to go, and unless you were doing a 12'-wide scope screen or something, I don't think the liability was worth it (personally).

The winning bidder may have been willing to go to $5,000, too - no way to know.

Were you seriously considering it, John?

SC

Not really. I'm putting that dough to better uses... so next yr i can move to the new house...

But i was contemplating, it seemed like a good deal. @ 2500 i'd have jumped it.

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised you didn't respond to my last reply to you. Hah!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: