Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Qualia 004... would you?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Qualia 004... would you? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Pay 3500 dollars for one?

If i was to go Digi.. this is what i'd buy.. Would you???

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set $1500 aside for potential power supply problems. I've gotten 2 calls last month. It's funny, no one is willing to send me their set, but have no issues sending it to Sony. Go figure.
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the deal w/ the power supply???
If i paid 27k for a projector that would really steam me!

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, I have yet to see one. Seems for $1500 from Sony, it must be a pretty easy repair.

Remember, Sony charges in accordance to the $27K original price, so $1500 isn't bad. But, at Sony pricing, they can't do much for $1500. Smile

To me $3500 is a good price for a working Qualia. I loved the picture overall, hated the black levels.

What did I say about high end digitals? Give them 5 years, and they'll start dying as well.

Curt
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, just checked avsforum, and look, there's ANOTHER inquiry from someone asking about an 004 failure. His unit has 1600 hours on it, and when powering up, trips the house breaker. Go figure.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the PSU issues and the absolutely heinous price of the Qualia's xenon replacement bulbs, I wouldn't risk buying one. Maybe if I had money to burn...

For about the same $3500, I'd find a nice used RS2. I like the look of the picture... The colors, the blacks are decent... I'd just go into it knowing that I'd be selling it to upgrade in 2-3 years when something else like a used RS20 or RS35 was within reach.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to have a hole in your Head to pay $3500. for a 5 year old Sony product ( i mean that in the best possible way) Wink

ecrabb wrote:
Given the PSU issues and the absolutely heinous price of the Qualia's xenon replacement bulbs, I wouldn't risk buying one. Maybe if I had money to burn...
For about the same $3500, I'd find a nice used RS2. I like the look of the picture... The colors, the blacks are decent... I'd just go into it knowing that I'd be selling it to upgrade in 2-3 years when something else like a used RS20 or RS35 was within reach.

SC
absolutely
View user's photo album (2 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
You would have to have a hole in your Head to pay $3500. for a 5 year old Sony product ( i mean that in the best possible way) Wink

ecrabb wrote:

SC
absolutely

This posted on a forum dedicated to the sale and setup of 15-20 yr old product....

OK. Thumbs Up

The qualia is a flagship product. Supposedly well built and it has one of the best Digital PJ pictures i have seen. I know people go on about the JVC but around here that thing is vaporware. I cant find a single place w/ one to show.

So to me the Qualia, and the VPW-200 are my goto products.

or maybe a 70 or 60... Embarassed

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy one for $1K just so I can post to the hoity toitys on avs that I can repair them.. without sending the whole projector to me. Wink
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John it be different if these digital were modular and parts were as cheap as our 15 year old PJ's that can do blacks better and have no motion blur.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Hah, just checked avsforum, and look, there's ANOTHER inquiry from someone asking about an 004 failure. His unit has 1600 hours on it, and when powering up, trips the house breaker. Go figure.

In Sony's defense, this is where he lives...

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

In Sony's defense, this is where he lives...

Yeah he paid so much for the PJ he foreclosed on his house and moved into a shack in the woods. Very Happy

nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
draganm wrote:
This posted on a forum dedicated to the sale and setup of 15-20 yr old product....OK. Thumbs Up :

I thought I was pretty clear and did say Sony product, in other words I wouldn't pay $3500. for a G70 or G90 either

emdawgz1 wrote:
The qualia is a flagship product. Supposedly well built and it has one of the best Digital PJ pictures i have seen. I know people go on about the JVC but around here that thing is vaporware. I cant find a single place w/ one to show.So to me the Qualia, and the VPW-200 are my goto products.
or maybe a 70 or 60... Embarassed
Dude if you have to fly to another city and see the JVC it's worth avoiding a sony abortion. I remember when this thing came out and people paid like $25K and then Sony dropped it a year later. Those people were pissed and rightfully so. Don't jump on that train, it ain't going nowhere......
If CRT was not an option for me I would consider paying as much as $2K for used RS1 or 2.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
The qualia is a flagship product. Supposedly well built and it has one of the best Digital PJ pictures i have seen. I know people go on about the JVC but around here that thing is vaporware. I cant find a single place w/ one to show.

Flagship product or not, there are some things about the Qualia which are just a huge liability. The simple fact that a bulb is $2500 makes it a no-go for me and dare I say, many of us here. Your used "flagship" $3500 projector would become a $6000 projector for you, or rendered a $1000 projector (at most) to anybody else the second you had a bulb die or you had the known PSU problem that Curt is talking about.

Personally, I wouldn't be willing to take that risk - even if I wanted to spend $3500 on a projector right now. I don't give a sh*t if it's a "flagship" or not. Risk is risk, and I wouldn't take it personally. You can do whatever you want, though John - I don't care one way or the other. You asked for our opinion, and I gave it. Now it seems you want to argue about it. Do you want our opinion, or did you just want us to say, "Yeah, it's a kick-ass projector. It rocks. Get it, man!"?

As for you not being able to find one... JVC is a little weird... Their projectors are sold more through their Pro A/V division than any consumer outlets, and their dealer finder tool sucks. I'm sure AVS has them, but I think they're a pretty good haul from Philly.

BUT, at the price point you were talking about, you'd be looking at a used RS-2, anyway - which hasn't been sold for more than a year. I doubt any dealer would even have one, let alone on display. If you're really interested in seeing one, why don't you post over on AVS? There are probably 10 people in the Philly area that would be willing to show you their personal RS2 in a real setup in a real home theater.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, i come here for the OPINIONS. Good bad or indifferent, i value them so bring it!

I like sony product. but i'd think twice about the Big Q. Sony has slipped in that area. But I live in the 4th largest metro area in the US. Id' think i could find this JVC pj somewhere!!! I dont mind a drive to see this thing. But if it's as Kickarse as everyone sys WTH is it????

Post over on the "A" site???

I dunno.....

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it this way: I saw the JVC RS 1 2 1/2 years ago at Cliff's place, and if my CRTs were all taken away today, that's what I'd get. Now, subsequent models have apparently addressed the niggly issues like bright corners, and from what I've read, the colors aren't bang on, but the pix was really nice.

I haven't heard any reliability issues with the JVC, but I never look at the >$3500 forum at avs.
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a JVC RS2 that has been 100% problem free since I bought it new from AVS in July of 2008.

Chris.
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
BUT, at the price point you were talking about, you'd be looking at a used RS-2, anyway - which hasn't been sold for more than a year. I doubt any dealer would even have one, let alone on display. If you're really interested in seeing one, why don't you post over on AVS? There are probably 10 people in the Philly area that would be willing to show you their personal RS2 in a real setup in a real home theater.

SC

I just got a brand spanking new in the box RS2 for significantly less than $3500.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:

This posted on a forum dedicated to the sale and setup of 15-20 yr old product....

Embarassed

LOL!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
paw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
If you're interested in JVC PJs, let me know. I have access to them via distribution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: