Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A Black Screen Of Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynomitedaniel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am having similar issues. Popping noise followed by no picture or sound and Vizio glowing white. After a week or so of having the set unplugged, it came on for a few hours and went off. I was told that it was most likely the Power Board. I just replaced it last night and the set worked great for about 4 hours and now back to square 1. A few questions if I may....

1. Is it possible that the original power board is still good and I need to address the main board?

2. Could I have just fried the new power board that I installed last night?

Thanks for all the help.

Dan
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynomitedaniel wrote:
I am having similar issues. Popping noise followed by no picture or sound and Vizio glowing white. After a week or so of having the set unplugged, it came on for a few hours and went off. I was told that it was most likely the Power Board. I just replaced it last night and the set worked great for about 4 hours and now back to square 1. A few questions if I may....

1. Is it possible that the original power board is still good and I need to address the main board?

Thanks for all the help.

Dan

There really is no true answer for your questions. Your problem could be on any one of several boards. The fact that it worked temporarily with a board change also does not indicate anything definite.

This thread merely points out some of the common problems with this particular model but also does not cover all of the common problems or non common ones for that matter.

Flatpanels are pretty much a guessing game and unless you have exceptional trouble shooting skills all you can do is swap boards.
dynomitedaniel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
dynomitedaniel wrote:

Thanks for all the help.

Dan

There really is no true answer for your questions. Your problem could be on any one of several boards. The fact that it worked temporarily with a board change also does not indicate anything definite.

This thread merely points out some of the common problems with this particular model but also does not cover all of the common problems or non common ones for that matter.

Flatpanels are pretty much a guessing game and unless you have exceptional trouble shooting skills all you can do is swap boards.

Is it possible that I damaged the board that was just installed?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynomitedaniel wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:
dynomitedaniel wrote:

Thanks for all the help.

Dan

Is it possible that I damaged the board that was just installed?

Of course it's possible. It's also possible if it was a used board that it had a problem to begin with. It's also possible the tv has a bad connection somewhere and when you were fiddling around you jiggled the connection and it worked temporarily. It's also possible it's a problem on another board and while disconnected from power it was affected and then again worked temporarily when powered back up.

It depends if it's lack of signal or going into shutdown.
dynomitedaniel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do appreciate your help. I had the TV plugged directly into the wall and not a surge protector. It could have something to do with that as well I suppose.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not at all. Surge protectors, no matter how cheap or expensive, do almost nothing. The same surge protection is already built into the set, for the most part external ones are just a waste of money.
dynomitedaniel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Nope, not at all. Surge protectors, no matter how cheap or expensive, do almost nothing. The same surge protection is already built into the set, for the most part external ones are just a waste of money.

Thanks for the tip.... I have been researching my issue for a few weeks and have followed much if the advise here and other places. Thought I hit a home run with the new power board but now I feel like banging my head into the wall!!!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh trust me, as a seasoned tech, I only am able to repair about 20% of flat screens, and more than once, I've paid good money on eBay for a 'this will solve it for sure' board, only to have thrown $50 or more down the toilet.
zonie

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a similar problem with this TV. F1,2,&3 are all ok. getting 5v at 1 & 2 and .6 at 3, both sides. Is that voltge right on f3, and there is a place for F4, but there is no fuse there. Could it have popped off? I received this tv with the cover off, so I don't know if there was anything floating around.

There is no relay click when touching the on pad, but it does light up and the logo goes to white, no screen, no backlight.

All the caps seem fine.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before throwing ANY money on it, I'd read the whole thread. The OP spent $200+ on used boards on eBay, only to have the processor board crash 6 weeks later. The fact that someone else has been in the set means that it could have been butchered or hacked, so I can't answer your question about the fuse. Chances are though that it didn't just 'fall off'.

I've come to the conclusion that most LCD sets are designed to be disposable, as in this Vizio. Trust me, I'm a pretty good tech, but I now spend no more than 20 minutes on anything that comes in the door as far as consumer electronics goes, unless it's vintage, collectible, or worth more than $200 on the used market for whatever reason. The new stuff is just built like garbage.

As an aside, I just got an email from a school board that buys Bogen speakers from us, and has for years, pressboard wall speakers that are used for classroom PA systems. The last 2 dozen speakers are falling apart, brand new out of the box. That's how low the manufacturers are getting at this point.

http://www.bogen.com/products/conespeakers/conespkPages/wbs8.html
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually shocked by the number of views this thread has. Just goes to show the quality of flat panels and the number of people desperately trying to find a fix for there broken tv.

I still occasionally receive emails on these and my response is pretty much that I no longer give any support for them. It's just sad, what has become of the electronics world.......
zonie

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner just took the cover off, didn't do anything else. He's a friend of mine, in an ex-wife situation, that If we cannot fix this, he has to buy her a new one, which he cannot afford to. (!!)

I agree, today's products are crap. I just gave away a 1994 Mitsubishi 40" CRT that still worked well.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zonie wrote:
The owner just took the cover off, didn't do anything else. He's a friend of mine, in an ex-wife situation, that If we cannot fix this, he has to buy her a new one, which he cannot afford to. (!!)

I agree, today's products are crap. I just gave away a 1994 Mitsubishi 40" CRT that still worked well.

Ah, so he doesn't want to have to buy the ex a new tv. I can relate to that. Twisted Evil

So lets see if we can get this one going, even if just for a few weeks..... Laughing

Give me the exact model number and any numbers you find on the main board and power supply. Wink
zonie

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so no 12V, no 24V, took the PWS board out and looks like R912 and or R913A have had the smoke let out of them. Anyone have one of these boards out that could look at the values for me? SMD's!!! I Hate SMD's? Like mouse crap on a board... I can barely see the things let alone read them...
zonie

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. board is a delta DPS-475AP Rev :S3.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zonie wrote:
Ok, so no 12V, no 24V, took the PWS board out and looks like R912 and or R913A have had the smoke let out of them. Anyone have one of these boards out that could look at the values for me? SMD's!!! I Hate SMD's? Like mouse crap on a board... I can barely see the things let alone read them...

I got nothing on these resistors. No schematics available. But I will say that resistors don't usually go bad by themselves. You probably have something else going on with that power supply.
ILCentral

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I am having problems with my vizio TV. Few nights ago it went completely black. I click the on off with the remote and nothing. I use the buttons on the TV and still no response. I unplugged the TV and plug back in and the TV go to off mode where the vizio is like orange like it always is when off. I click the On button and the vizio logo goes to the white color (like it would) but no picture on the TV. No volume buttons work or anything. Can not see anything on the TV its black. I tap the screen and I can like see white flickers on the screen everywhere i tap. I really hate to just throw it away. Any suggestions to do or pieces to buy to fix?

Vizio Model VX32L HDTV10A
part #10223031022

motherboard number on inside is 0500-0505-0390
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read this whole thread? It's either the power supply or the controller board. You have the LCD backlight on, so my guess is the controller board. Based on the posts here, this is a common problem with this set. Buying a new board isn't worth it, so try and find a used one on eBay for about $100. But.. you take the risk that it will fail 6 week later with the same problem as the OP had here.

Vizio and most other flat screens are disposable pieces of garbage. That's just a fact.
bgexplore

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
You probably need a new main board. You can pull it and check for bad solder joints and also check fuse F3 (1.5a). If still no go the check the inverters for leaking caps and also check fuse mf1 (10a) on the master inverter. If still nothing then replace the main. There are a few different mains for that set so make sure you get the right one for it.

Thanks so much macgyver655 your information was spot on. Thank you so much. You made it so simple my husband says that even an "idiot" can do it. Hehehe!!!
jcmkc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone still follows this thread, but I contracted the "Black Screen of Death".
I have a Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A born in 2007 died late Dec. 2012
It did what has been described in other post. I opened it up visually checked the caps. I found the four caps on on the inverter boards (master and slave) swollen and leaking. Replaced all 4 and powered it up, no change. Started checking fuses found the F3 on the main bad, piggybacked a 1.5a and brought it back to life early Jan 2013. All was well until first week of Fed. the F3 fuse blew again. If I jump it the screen lights up blue. After reading this thread I'm thinking something more is going on.
Any thoughts???
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: