Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A Black Screen Of Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpegcto

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Thank you to everyone on this forum Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
While watching a good movie - my screen went light blue ( assuming just the backlights were on) with no picture. The remote would not turn the set off.

I unplugged it ...repowered it and the remote would turn it on but only had a black screen and no other remote control functions....

GV47L 10a manufactured Nov 2006....

Like any good engineer i immediately removed the TV from the wall and grabbed another tv to finish the movie

Opening the set up (wow there are a lot of screws) i saw NOTHING unusual nor did i smell anything burnt.... I started digging around and found that all the caps looked perfect, power supply seemed to be working ok then i noticed 3 surfaced mount fuses on the motherboard and one on the master inverter.

The one on the master inverter was fine but f3 on the motherboard was open - this is one of three little fuses on the top right hand side of the main board - right under the power connector as to the left of the audio connector.....

i did some checking online and found that others had this problem and replacing the fuse did the trick.

i could not find a 1.5amp /125v surface mount fuse not even at Fry's - what i did find is a 1.5amp / 250v 2ag fuse at Radio Shack ( 4 of them for $2.99) soldered some pigtails and then soldered the pigtails inline with the old f3.....made sure that everything was clean and insulated and wow - it worked.... My GV47L did not become a big doorstop....

while i was at it i figured i would try to fix the audio buzz that seemed to be caused by the backlighting....some people reported it might be a grounding issue but i saw nothing definitive so........

i built a shield for the audio card and moved the ground to the main board ground and buzz is gone....i wish i thought to take pictures while it was all apart

so this is a long way of saying thank you to everyone on this board that helped me discern the issue

tip - if you look around the service manual is available online for free

Last edited by mpegcto on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Another one saved from the scrap yard. Very Happy
gexamb

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to hijack this thread, but it is very similar to my situation.

Well the TV went black when it was on, but before it did there were some pixelation and weird lines across the screen. No popping sounds however. When I said black, i mean nothing is on, no picture, no sound, no backlight.

I am suspecting the power supply here but I am no expert. I opened up the TV and did not see a single blown cap and none that looked like there were about to, no bulging.

I checked the power supply fuse, good. I checked the three fuses on the main board, good. I check the voltage from the power supply to the main board. The 5V rails showed 5.1V +-10%. Seems OK. I checked the SGND or whatever it said (the 3 or 4 wires in the middle of the connector), no voltage. The 12V rails showed 1V +- 10%.

I checked both inverter connectors on the power supply board and absolutely no voltage on any of the pins.

The VIZIO emblem in front of the TV at first glowed white light and then slightly dimmed down but stayed white. Then after I dismounted it from the wall and took it apart, it shows amber and stays amber (everything was connected when this happened).

So what do you guys think? PS? What is a good source to buy from?

Thanks in advance.
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gexamb wrote:

So what do you guys think? PS? What is a good source to buy from?

Thanks in advance.

If you aren't getting any voltage to the inverters when you try to power it on, then I would say it's most likely the power supply. Are there any black marks on the board anywhere? Try looking under the metal heatsinks, I had a board with a blown resister that was hidden under one.

If you want to swap or send a board in for repair I would recommend moduslink which was mentioned before. They have reasonable prices, a warranty period and good customer service. You could also try ebay, you might find boards cheaper on there, but they usually don't offer the same kind of warranty.

Let us know how it goes.
gexamb

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like burn marks or something like that? Ill take a look when I get home tonight.
floorboard

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem similar to these also, lights on bottom light up when powered on but no functions work and no remote functions work. have to unplug to shut down as well. I replaced the main board to no avail even after checking the fuses first. also replaced the power supply and still have the same problem. I checked one fuse in each side boards of tv and also a fuse behind small panel that sits at top of tv behind power supply area. all fuses check ok with multilmeter set on continuity setting. what am i missing??
model is gv47lfhdtv10a, march '07

this is the first time in trying to fix by myself so any help would be appreciated.

Scott
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gexamb wrote:
You mean like burn marks or something like that? Ill take a look when I get home tonight.

Yes. burn marks. Did you find anything?

floorboard wrote:
I have a problem similar to these also, lights on bottom light up when powered on but no functions work and no remote functions work....

this is the first time in trying to fix by myself so any help would be appreciated.

Scott

It sounds to me like the issue is with the mainboard. How sure are you that the replacement board was working?
floorboard

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was supposed to be new from tri state module inc. out of evansville, IN., I checked the three fuses and they are ok.
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floorboard wrote:
it was supposed to be new from tri state module inc. out of evansville, IN., I checked the three fuses and they are ok.

Is the backlight coming on at all?
The next thing I would do is check voltages. On the power board and main board.
floorboard

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a click like its gonna come on but i do not see anything on the screen other than the lights on bottom come on. As for checking voltages, I'm clueless on which wires to test. I have a fluke multi meter, If someone can point me what and where to check I'd be happy to learn!!! If it is the main board I believe it has a 90 day warranty but I will have to check with them after checking everything else.

Scott
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floorboard wrote:
I hear a click like its gonna come on but i do not see anything on the screen other than the lights on bottom come on. As for checking voltages, I'm clueless on which wires to test. I have a fluke multi meter, If someone can point me what and where to check I'd be happy to learn!!! If it is the main board I believe it has a 90 day warranty but I will have to check with them after checking everything else.

Scott

For voltages, I believe the upper right hand corner of the power board is where the white connectors are plugged in. These should be leading to the main board and inverters. If you look on the power board near those connections, there should be voltages printed for most of the connectors pins. So you should see 24v, 12v, gnd for ground, and some abbreviation for standby.
floorboard

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to test but my leads are too thick to back probe the wires, I will pick up some adapters this weekend and repost what I find. thanks so much for the help so far.

Scott
floorboard

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, got voltages checked, i have 24.2 at all the 24 volt wires and 5.3 at the 5 volt connections and 11.76 at the 12 v connections. I also checked voltages at the three fuses in the right hand corner of main board and have the same voltages at each side of the fuses. what should i check for next??

Scott
gexamb

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the power supply board (new) from Sears Online parts dept. $112 shipped.

Still the same problem. So is it same to assume its the main board? BTW i did not find burn marks on my original power supply.

Although I did not pay attention to the part number on my original ps board. it ends in 0340 where as the one i ordered is the 0260. Is there a difference and can that still cause my TV to not work?
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Wrong board Reply with quote

gexamb wrote:
I ordered the power supply board (new) from Sears Online parts dept. $112 shipped.

Still the same problem. So is it same to assume its the main board? BTW i did not find burn marks on my original power supply.

Although I did not pay attention to the part number on my original ps board. it ends in 0340 where as the one i ordered is the 0260. Is there a difference and can that still cause my TV to not work?

I would say to replace the board with the same number that came out. I am not sure if the board you got is compatible and can be replace like that. Also check all connections and plugs to make sure every connection is made and secure. Good Luck.
D_Summit

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Me too... Reply with quote

unresponsive after power-on, "button" lights stay lit, etc. Looking to replace my main board, but the model in stock at ModusLink is different than mine by one digit. Anybody know if the "3647-0012-0150" and "3647-0062-0150" boards are interchangeable?
gexamb

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Sears:

"Manufacturer authorized substitution: 050005070260R may differ in appearance, but is a functional equivalent to prior parts including 050005070340."

Same thing it said that 050005070260"R" is comptaible for 050005070260.

Should I take their word for it? I am gona try to take some voltage readings tomorrow on both boards (new ps and main) and see if I get the same results as with the original ps board.

Thanks.

* The button controls dont light up and remote does nothing as well. Could this still be a ps problem? Or does the main board supply the power to the button controls? (not 5v live, the actual turn on power)
gexamb

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for the main board now but cant seem to find it anywhere. Part number 3647-0012-0150. No one sells this specific part as new or re certified. Is there another part number that is compatible with mine?
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gexamb wrote:
I am looking for the main board now but cant seem to find it anywhere. Part number 3647-0012-0150. No one sells this specific part as new or re certified. Is there another part number that is compatible with mine?

Sorry, just saw post, but ModusLink will check and repair your original part for about the same price as a new or rebuilt board, instead of trying to find a substitute. Just a suggestion.
slipk487

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TV almost made it a year on a glued in fuse. Few days ago I was in pip watching tv and using my computer when I went to switch back into 1 screen and the fuse ended up blowing. Bout to go pick another one up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: