Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A Black Screen Of Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slipk487

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Wouldn't the power supply be the problem because I was getting no voltage from the 24v lines here. Ive tested the fuse that is on the power supply and that fuse works.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to give you an assumption as I dont have a print in front of me. First, you know you have a blown fuse on the main. This fuse will only blow with a problem on the main, not the pwr supply. Second, I'm pretty sure in this device that the main must turn on the pwr supply for those other voltages. So if the main is not working it can't turn on the pwr supply or at least not that part of it.
slipk487

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Replace CE4, CE9 and the fuse. You can use a pico fuse for fuse replacement. If that doesn't fix it then replace the main. Or have it repaired like Royalman did.

The CE4 and CE9 capacitor look fine. I just got some 1.5 250v ceramic fuses to replace the fuse and Ill post back my results once i finish.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slipk487 wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:
Replace CE4, CE9 and the fuse. You can use a pico fuse for fuse replacement. If that doesn't fix it then replace the main. Or have it repaired like Royalman did.

The CE4 and CE9 capacitor look fine. I just got some 1.5 250v ceramic fuses to replace the fuse and Ill post back my results once i finish.

Hahahahaha..... if you can tell by looking at those caps that they are fine your a better tech then me..... Laughing
slipk487

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having trouble directly soldering a fuse over the old one so I need to make some sort of connector first. If I do need to replace the caps where can I get them and what type to i need.
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: That's the problem Reply with quote

slipk487 wrote:
Having trouble directly soldering a fuse over the old one so I need to make some sort of connector first. If I do need to replace the caps where can I get them and what type to i need.

If it is the same size and type of fuse just dab a little flux on each end and tin with the solder, then place the fuse on top and heat the two pieces to fuse together. Problem is costs start mounting, flux, solder, soldering station, etc. Easier to unscrew the board, send it out when you get it back, replace it with a warranty. Some people luck out with this but, in my experiences when a fuse blows, there is other problems upstream. But good luck.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to say sumpton here pretty soon. Don't get me started.... Very Happy
slipk487

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find fuses that were the same size so they were just a tad bit longer and round, also ended up melting the tip on my gun. I im going to try to make a connector for it to fit into.
slipk487

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working after replacing the fuse. Had no solder gun that would get hot enough to solder the fuses so its just hot glued right now. I just dont have the remote that came with it and cant change the aspect ratio when watching tv.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slipk487 wrote:
Got it working after replacing the fuse. Had no solder gun that would get hot enough to solder the fuses so its just hot glued right now. I just dont have the remote that came with it and cant change the aspect ratio when watching tv.

Glad to hear you got it working. I think I have a box full of brand new remotes. Are you in the US?
slipk487

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I live in AZ.
Homer575

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Same Problem Reply with quote

I am trying to fix my grandmas vizio with no luck so far. Same basic problem, has no picture or sound. Vizio logo on front lights up, so do the controls when you hit power, then they will not turn back off unless you unplug the tv. She said she heard more of a bloop noise than a pop. TV made the noise once and the screen went out but the back was still lit, then it made the noise again and the lights went out. I've checked the 3 fuses on the main board and the one on the power supply, all are good. She doesn't have much money so I am hoping I can find a cheap fix. Any thoughts from anyone, appreciate the help.
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Same Problem Reply with quote

Homer, seems more than likely the problems have been either in the main board or the power supply. If you can't find anything blown or popped I would suggest going to the Modus Link site check on the availability of the main board. If they don't have any in stock they can check yours out and and repair it. It seems to me about the cheapest and fastest fix if that is the problem. Best of luck.
Homer575

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. Guess I'll go for the power supply first, since that would be the cheapest. I'll let everyone know what I find when and if I can get it fixed.
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it is the cheapest to replace does not make it the best choice. Under my bed I have 2 bad main boards and 1 good power supply. I would suggest the main board, only because your set seems to have the same problems as most of the others that have been repaired with that part. The main board is only $100.00 plus shipping repaired or replaced, with a warranty. Just a suggestion.
Homer575

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was starting to think the same thing, but now after inspection I saw something on the power supply, it could be nothing. Next to the top right 24v line, there is a spot for a resistor, the terminals are there, but no resister. Almost looks like it was cut off, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else have a resistor there, it's fb1 by the way.

Homer575

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it some more, my problem seems to be more like russle's, where as my 24v and 12v lines are down, but no fuses are blown on the main board. His problem turned out to be the power supply, so mine might be the same. I hate guessing but it's all I have. Any thoughts.
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the power supply that I have and it is just like yours. I would say no problem. If nothing is actually burned on the power supply seems like all is probably ok. Best of luck.
Jakeklem

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have similar symptoms with my vizio GV47L. Press power, vizio emblem turns white, black screen, buttons don't respond, have to pull the cord to turn off. I checked the voltages on the power supply and they are all getting voltage, however, the 24V are at 23.7ish. Is that enough of difference to cause it not to work? The 5v and 12v are both about .1 over.

Also, as recommended to those above, I tested the fuses on the main pcb. F1, F2, and F3 all beeped with my DMM on continuity setting. As for the caps CE9 and CE4, I removed CE4 and used the capacitance setting on the DMM to check it. I cant get a reading on it above 4 n F and its rated at 220 micro F. I ordered a replacement so I will let you know what comes of that. Any other caps I should look at? Has anyone had success repairing the main on a component level?

thanks for all the info posted already and any help in the future,
Jake

Last edited by Jakeklem on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Homer575

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeKlem, sounds like you may have more than one problem. I'm in no way an expert on this, but I learned a lot about how this TV works from trying to fix my problem. The 5v line is your always on line, that's what gets the signal from the remote or power button and tells everything else to turn on. The 12v line goes back to your main board and gets the rest of that going (i.e. your video and sound). your 24v line goes to your inverter boards (back-lights). That's what's weird, if they have power your back-lights should at least be lighting up (should be getting that, TV looks on but the screen is black look). If you do have light I would for sure say it's the main board.
Oh, and your voltage readings are fine. They will hardly ever be right on, they should be very close though, within 1v. If it spikes or drops rapidly, that's when there's a problem

As for an update on mine, I sent off the power supply to Modus Link, that was fine (should have listened to Royalman). Then I learned they let you send in multiple boards and will check them in unison. So I sent in the main board, they told me that was defective and fixed it. They only charged me a $35 diagnostics fee on the power supply. cost me about $180 with shipping when all is said and done. Not bad considering a new main board is about $230 and I should now have a 6 month warranty. I am supposed to get them back today, so I will post and let every one know if that did it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: