Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My tiny forum beef

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: My tiny forum beef Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I finally realized today that something could be done about my one tiny forum beef... ask Kal if it could be changed. Very Happy Man, I'm a genius! Idea

It's this:

When you hit 'reply' on a PM, there's no space at the top of the reply, so if the PM is short, it's easier to reply at the bottom of the message, but if it's a lengthy reply, you need to hit the 'enter' button a couple of times and place the cursor carefully to separate your return message from the original.

Any chance of inserting a couple of spaces/blank lines at the top of the PM message so it's easier to reply?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still want to be able to link directly to anyones post instead of just the page it is on and then have to tell the person your trying to link that post to : scroll down to the 7th post for your answer" etc.

Athanasios

PS, that is a good idea Curt!!!

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My tiny forum beef Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I finally realized today that something could be done about my one tiny forum beef... ask Kal if it could be changed. Very Happy Man, I'm a genius! Idea

It's this:

When you hit 'reply' on a PM, there's no space at the top of the reply, so if the PM is short, it's easier to reply at the bottom of the message, but if it's a lengthy reply, you need to hit the 'enter' button a couple of times and place the cursor carefully to separate your return message from the original.

Any chance of inserting a couple of spaces/blank lines at the top of the PM message so it's easier to reply?

Not easily since the PM response section of that page is the same code that's used for responding to regular posts too. So making that change would affect PM responses and regular post responses too.

That being, said, why is this only an issue in PMs? Responding to someone's post and quoting them in threads is exactly the same.

The other issue is that when you quote someone in a thread post most people type their response BELOW the quote. Do you not do the same in PMs? Why do it differently on PMs vs. posts? I suppose some people always post above, some always below, some do it differently for PMs vs forum posts, and some just pick randomly.

Adding spaces to the top would force everyone to always post above which isn't what everyone wants to do.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I still want to be able to link directly to anyones post instead of just the page it is on and then have to tell the person your trying to link that post to : scroll down to the 7th post for your answer" etc.

Athanasios

That's existed since day one.

See the little "page" icon before the post date/time for any particular post. It's a link.
It looks like this:

For example, your post (the 2nd post in this thread) is: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215653#215653

Click on that link and you'll go directly to your post. Right click and save the link to able to post it somewhere else.

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

See the little "page" icon before the post date/time for any particular post. It's a link.
It looks like this:

For example, your post (the 2nd post in this thread) is: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215653#215653

Click on that link and you'll go directly to your post. Right click and save the link to able to post it somewhere else.

Kal

No sh*t!! I never knew that! thanks kal!!!!! Very Happy

nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
kal wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

It looks like this:

Kal

nashou

Ahem...allow me to demonstrate the feature: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202318#202318 Mr. Green
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
kal wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

It looks like this:

Kal

nashou

Ahem...allow me to demonstrate the feature: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202318#202318 Mr. Green

How the hell did i miss that ben!!! Doh!!!!!!

Very Happy

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a computer neophyte, so save it to my computer as in "save as" and then pull it from my computer as a doc or is there something I'm missing?

I'm sure it's simple but I just don't get it. Embarassed

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:

How the hell did i miss that ben!!! Doh!!!!!!

Very Happy

Nashou

It's all good! Remember when I asked you 20 questions about the LVPS mod components, and you had the link on the first page? Happens to the best Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
kal wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

It looks like this:

Kal

nashou

Note that the icon changes colour too if it's a new post you're seeing for the first time vs old.

New post:
Old post:

That being said, it's never been obvious even to me and you're not the first one to ask... soo.... I've added the word "Link" beside the little page icon. I think it helps! Let me know what you think.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
I'm a computer neophyte, so save it to my computer as in "save as" and then pull it from my computer as a doc or is there something I'm missing?

Actually the answer's not really simple as it has nothing to do with the forum software but everything to do with your PC and/or browser. You browser may have a "save as" feature that lets you save the page and contents in HTML format along with pictures (or not), and all as one file (or not). Every browser is different.

Look in the "File" menu of your browser.

But the better question is: Why do you want to do this?

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Note that the icon changes colour too if it's a new post you're seeing for the first time vs old.
New post:
Old post:

The "new vs old post" stuff has never worked too well for me. E.g. I read this thread, exited to the main page, refreshed, and it said there were still unread posts in this thread. I hit the "read unread posts" button () and it took me to the first post in the thread again. All of the posts are marked with the new post icon.

Is that just me, or just Firefox, or does it work that way for everybody? It may be just Firefox, since I just launched IE8 and it did the right thing. Kal, any guesses why Firefox does that?

Last edited by garyfritz on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
dturco wrote:

Actually the answer's not really simple as it has nothing to do with the forum software but everything to do with your PC and/or browser. You browser may have a "save as" feature that lets you save the page and contents in HTML format along with pictures (or not), and all as one file (or not). Every browser is different.

Kal

The why is because sometimes a question is asked that a particular post will answer much better then I ever could and like Nashou said I'd like to link to just that post instead of the thread.

As for my browser file I don't know that either. Embarassed

Hell I still can't get multiple quotes like you just did either. Embarassed

Thanks for answering.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
kal wrote:
dturco wrote:

Kal

The why is because sometimes a question is asked that a particular post will answer much better then I ever could and like Nashou said I'd like to link to just that post instead of the thread.

As for my browser file I don't know that either. Embarassed

Hell I still can't get multiple quotes like you just did either. Embarassed

Thanks for answering.

Ah, I think all you're asking is how to save the link so that you can post it in a different thread? Just right click on the link, pick the option to "copy link" (every browser has slightly different working for this) and then when you want to post it somewhere else, right click and choose "paste".

Kal

dturco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Kal, I'll work it out.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Kal, any guesses why Firefox does that?

nope - sorry!

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll just have to tell FF to pretend it's IE when I'm in the forum! It works for Windows Update so it should work here...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: