Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HTPC considerations for an NEC XG1351LC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
MikeEby wrote:
Yep...The 57xx ATI card will bitstream with PowerDVD 9...Supposable, I just won’t recommend something I haven’t tried. The card and drivers are so new, I sure as hell would not stick my neck out and say buy it. Mike

While on the AMD/ATI website, I happen to check out the 48xx cards and they report the same ability.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan,
First, it is a personal decision whether you want to do 1080p or not. That is the beauty of CRTs. You can try many resolutions and refreshes.

Second, have you weighed the cost difference between a HTPC and separates? I have seen some cheap prices on VPs.
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
MikeEby wrote:
Yep...The 57xx ATI card will bitstream with PowerDVD 9...Supposable, I just won’t recommend something I haven’t tried. The card and drivers are so new, I sure as hell would not stick my neck out and say buy it. Mike

While on the AMD/ATI website, I happen to check out the 48xx cards and they report the same ability.

I read some reviews on neweggs site and many were complaining about the 5000 series card. I would consider any of the 4000 series though.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akajester wrote:
WanMan wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

I read some reviews on neweggs site and many were complaining about the 5000 series card. I would consider any of the 4000 series though.

Yeah...Over in the HTPC forum on AVS users are saying Cyberlink (PowerDVD) hasn't even released a patch for the cards yet to support bitstreaming...It's all over the Protected Audio Path (PAP) non-sense. I don't think all the Studios or the MPAA got the memo yet from AnyDVD.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Wan,
First, it is a personal decision whether you want to do 1080p or not. That is the beauty of CRTs. You can try many resolutions and refreshes.

Second, have you weighed the cost difference between a HTPC and separates? I have seen some cheap prices on VPs.
Well no. I have not compared the price difference as an HTPC option would not be employed to simple handle scaling, etc., but also tasks a standalone scaler would never handle--like video content storage (ahem, ripped stuff).

Now, if a standalone scaler had the ability to externally connect drives with familiar filesystems for retrieving and playing ripped content, or though a NAS-style method of transport, then I've see the alternative.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: