Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Just got my Hurley Screen, need some good ideas for a frame.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Just got my Hurley Screen, need some good ideas for a frame. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Guys, I picked up my new 13 foot 2.4 aspect Hurley Screen. It is of the Lace and Grommet type. I only unrolled a little bit to see the grommet's location in the edge of the screen.

So now for how to build the frame, I was going to use electrical conduit pipe but I think i will go with select 2x4 lumber
screwed to the wall and then put eye screws into the sides of the wood frame and use either springs tensioning from the grommets to the eye screws or turn buckles instead of lacing . I just feel the lacing will stretch more over time and need re-tensioning more than either of the other methods with springs having the less change since the spring will keep tension even.

Has anyone had any experience with a Lace and Grommet screen and what method did they use for tensioning the screen.

I also want to build the frame a bit larger to fit a slightly bigger screen if i decide to go wider in the future. Also i am not going to use the full 13 feet now and stay with what I have at 12 feet, so I will also build the visible frame to fit my current image, then when going larger i will only need to remove it and trim it down.

Athanasios

Screen Plan.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.34 KB
 Viewed:  20239 Time(s)

Screen Plan.JPG

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting design but I like the concept and it would allow for quick tension adjustments even without the springs. Your screen height will be my screen width. I almost bought a Hurley but went with the DW instead. I'd definitely like to see this when done as my father just got a 9500LC and the fact your screen will be massive Thumbs Up
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to have the screen at the same plane as the top of the 2x4's when mounted flush to the wall, this way I should be able to use 1 x 10's or larger to cover the frame and the Grommets and lace, then using some black out material over that.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like! Perhaps behind the 1x10 have warm white LED rope light or some type of dimmer lights when the movie is about to start. Depends how far out from the screen you have the 1x10 mounted.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I already give you my plans for the electrical conduit frame I built for my Hurley screen, hmmm I thought we dicussed it, if not let me know and I'll post them.

Don't worry about the screen stretching over time, I laced mine up and it hasn't required retouching in over 3 years. Just make sure you give it a little tension when you lace it, not too much though, just enough to make it taught.

I would think building a large 2x4 frame and keeping it true over time might be tough to do without lots of bracing to keep the 2x4s from warping.

Don't forget to put some black velvet behind the screen about 1.5 inches to squash any reflections, it does make a big difference with my Hurley 1.5 gain screen.

So what model did you get and how much did you pay for this screen?

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
Didn't I already give you my plans for the electrical conduit frame I built for my Hurley screen, hmmm I thought we dicussed it, if not let me know and I'll post them.

Don't worry about the screen stretching over time, I laced mine up and it hasn't required retouching in over 3 years. Just make sure you give it a little tension when you lace it, not too much though, just enough to make it taught.

I would think building a large 2x4 frame and keeping it true over time might be tough to do without lots of bracing to keep the 2x4s from warping.

Don't forget to put some black velvet behind the screen about 1.5 inches to squash any reflections, it does make a big difference with my Hurley 1.5 gain screen.

So what model did you get and how much did you pay for this screen?

Hi Walt, No I never got your conduit plans. E-mail them or posting them here would be great. I was going to use wood since I have lots of it . As for it warping i have wood that has been in my basement for over three years and i it is not warped yet, or if it is it would stay there. Also i would secure it to each and every stud . The spring tensioning idea should have enough headroom for any warping that may occur thus keeping the screen dimension close. Or if i use the turn buckle method I
would be able to adjust in the areas needed.

I got the screen for $253 dollars and about 100 shipping picking it up at New Penn docks. I don't know why they don't use
USPS or UPS for screen only shipping, it was only 6 feet long and 25 pounds, not that big to use a common carrier, I save 100 bucks picking it up myself at the dock.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter,
How much does your electrical conduit frame weigh? I have thought that PVC pipe might be an alternative.
LOTREE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I'm building mine out of square/u-channel aluminum stock. The 1/2" electrical conduit weighs about 5-8lbs for a 10' length.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the PVC will hold up, too much flex. I think Aluminum U channel or Aluminum 1x3 tubing would be the strongest next to wood, you'd have t secure it at the 16" centers of the studs for any of them, the electrical conduit maybe every other.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought about it some more and your right. I was thinking multiple crossbraces, but that was for someone going with DW or another solid substrate to lay on top. The material would be blocked by the cross braces. Of course, I just thought of another way. What if you set the cross braces back about an inch or two? The frame would look kind of like a shallow basket.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I just thought about it some more and your right. I was thinking multiple crossbraces, but that was for someone going with DW or another solid substrate to lay on top. The material would be blocked by the cross braces. Of course, I just thought of another way. What if you set the cross braces back about an inch or two? The frame would look kind of like a shallow basket.

For the PVC? it might work that way or youd have to make a double tubed frame, Imagine my picture above with PVC tubes replacing each side of the 2x4 and then doing the criss cross bracing between the two tube frames, it have to be made with lots a short sections of PVC and the 45 degree Y sections. Too much work I'd think but it be a really cool high tech looking frame!!!

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking t, but y might work. My thought is it would be pretty cheap. The whole frame shouldn't cost more than $40 with connectors. It would also be pretty light.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for how much mine weights, I don't know but I can easily lift it up and hang it on the wall. The conduit is aluminum not steel so it is super light and then the wood frame is only 3/4"x8" boards.

As for putting it together I just bought the lengths of conduit that I needed then cut them to the exact lengths required. Then I used conduit 90 elbows to connect the corners together. I used metal conduit straps to fasten the conduit to the wooden frame, I also used 1/4" spacers bwteen the conduit and the wood in order to freely run the lacing under the conduit. As for the wooden frame I used metal framing plates to fasten the wood together at the corners. Once everything was fastened together (conduit to wood) it firmed up and became a very robust sturdy frame. I used 1" conduit.
Also I added wood edging on the inside edge of the wood frame to take the frame right to the screen material(so it's touching the screen), then I covered the wood in black velvet. Of course build the fram then cover it then lace in the screen last.
Done, one perfect screen at steal of a price. And don't forget to put the black velvet backing on to squash any reflections, don't count on the wall you hang it on to do that for you as you'll be disappointed, keep it about 1" away, actually you just need to stick the velvet to the wall before you hang the screen and that will be good.

I wouldn't use springs for tension on the screen otherwise you will have a constant stretching taking place which will eventually cause your screen to be stretched unevenly. Just use the lacing in one continuos run from one corner all around the screen and back to the starting corner. Trust me, just using the lacing they gave you will work just fine. When I talked to Hurley about this they said don't worry it will be fine and it won't have to be restretched once it's done and they were right.

I doubt if you could use PVC as it has too much flex in it and it isn't much lighter than aluminum conduit.

WOW, that is a great price, what model did you get, the 1.5 gain?

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I got the MW-16 Solid.

http://hurleyscreen.com/pdfs/HurleyScreenSurfaces.pdf

Since i am Blending they suggested the matt whit screen as they have this in commercial applications and have got best results with it.
At least that is what they told me .

But since my frame will be larger than any conduit easily found and I have the wood here i think if i secure the wood to each Stud behind the drywall, then use wood screw eyes between the 6 inch spacing of the grommet holes so the string makes a V from hole to eyes I should be ok. If not I can always add the conduit tot he existing wood.

I did not unravel the screen yet so i did not see the string, where was it when you got it Walt in the middle somewhere?

Athanasios

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure using wood screws for the lacing would work just fine I imagine. I don't recall where the string was but they sent plenty of it to do the job.

I'm sure you'll love that screen when you're finished setting it up.

Mine is the superglo and I can't find anything wrong with it, I know it's 100% better than my brother's screen which he paid about 1k for, I don't recall what make it is, it's one of those brands that everyone raves about.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
Sure using wood screws for the lacing would work just fine I imagine. I don't recall where the string was but they sent plenty of it to do the job.

I'm sure you'll love that screen when you're finished setting it up.

Mine is the superglo and I can't find anything wrong with it, I know it's 100% better than my brother's screen which he paid about 1k for, I don't recall what make it is, it's one of those brands that everyone raves about.

Thanks Walt, I got this on your suggestion so now thats two things you made me spend money on Wink

I could have just cut my 16x9 screen off the roll up mount and folded over the top and bottom and added grommets myself for the smooth surface i realize i need to blend .

But the slight gain that screen has I think doesn't help my efforts.

my contractor friend lent me his laser level, so once I get the Da-lite to roll up, its freaking stuck since i never rolled it up i will begin building the frame.

I do have one dilemma for now. The PJ's have to stay where they are for now, so this screen is larger than the 140" wide image i have the blend set up for. I might be able to squeak out a couple more inches in width with the set up i now have, since I can increase the width on the tube face with the blended edge having more room (as long As I keep the blend function on or the unblended edge will go off the tube face), I think i will have enough room top and bottom as well, but not much. So how do i position the new sized screen with relation to the old size? I plan to for now just go with the current size so should I put the new screen so the old sized image is perfectly in the center thus when going to a larger image size i obstruct the last row of seating from the PJ's being in the way. Or do i put the top of the new screen at the same hight as the old screen? I also have no Idea if doing it the former way will affect the geometry more
or if I have enough room on the tube face to move it there? I guess i will have to try on the current screen.

I rambled on and answered my own questions it seams Wink

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I have to stop doing that. Although it's better to spend someone else's money than mine. Yeah I'm still waiting for that email that says "you told me things would be better after I spent all my money".

Sounds like you have some experimenting to do, can't wait for your reviews.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
Damn, I have to stop doing that. Although it's better to spend someone else's money than mine. Yeah I'm still waiting for that email that says "you told me things would be better after I spent all my money".

Sounds like you have some experimenting to do, can't wait for your reviews.

Everything is still in the boxes they came in, I have been trouble shooting a few other things , like the CMM boards which i do think I need for the blend. have to increase the output on the edges of the tube face for a more even uniformity in the blend zone. After I get the screen up i think i will have better results and i will do a really really intense set up. i rushed in the past.
So this time i will spend lots and lots of time on focus, cpc, scheimflug, and the linearity, that is the one i had trouble with. diagonal lines had a slight bow to them when using the diagonal pattern on the DVE disc or my own test pattern.

Once i get all that done and watch a bit the parts i have will make there way into the PJ's one at a time so I can compare.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well keep us updated as you progress along.
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS commented:
> Don't forget to put some black velvet behind the screen about 1.5 inches to squash any reflections, it does make a big difference with my Hurley 1.5 gain screen. <

Gee, Walt. If the Hurley material is that translucent, maybe he should put a first-surface mirror as the backing behind it? Smile Seems like a shame to throw away all that light output.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: