Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Partially dead Hitachi Ultravision LCD - Worth FIxing ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Let me add one more thing. The reason there is not alot of info on individual boards is because whenever there are these types of problems, Hitachi only recommends replacement of the entire light engine. The old one goes back to factory for repairs and sold as rebuilds. They are trying to eliminate field repairs. One of those cost efficient things... Also why they are eliminating schematics is the manuals.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check for 9 volts on that LY13?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check for 1.8v at connector PPS2 in the power supply.
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was time to pull out my big guns...ESR checked every cap on the Signal board and Terminal board. No baddies. Busted out my Tek 2235 and started poking around the drivers / control lines to the Flex Converter ... I can see component video both sub and main, clock, data and enable signals are getting to the 50 pin conn to flex converter...however I am sort of confused as to why the enable line would be toggling up and down...I would have thought that would be a solid "on" or "off".

I did remove the flex converter from the set and did a visual but I didn't see anything burnt - its totally shielded tho so would have to desolder all the shield points to get a good look but i am going to leave that for later if necessary. The flex converter has a whopping big ASIC inside - probably 90 % of the signal processing for the set is in this chip I imagine. One thing that struck me as stupid was why Hitachi parked the flex converter right on top of the LCD driver board/lcd opening - where its exposed to a ton of heat ....DUMBBBB!!!!! ( the same heat which poor cooling design in this model line is causing the LE's LCD's to burn out / fail prematurely. If i replace the FC module I am relocating it somewhere else I think....or heat shielding it.

Next step is I'm going to go back for a better look at IO01 (control micro), also going to scope all the waveforms shown in the service manual for confirmation...then if all looks ok I will buy the Flex board.

Cheers,

Dave
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mac - I didn't see your last two posts... I will check that PS connector and +9 on LY13 tomorrow...although I doubt the +9 is missing given I am seeing video all the way thru to the flex converter.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DAVE wrote:
however I am sort of confused as to why the enable line would be toggling up and down...I would have thought that would be a solid "on" or "off".

My guess would be that the processor is not getting a data write success acknowledgment or even an ic address acknowledgment from any of the flex converter boards ic's that the data line is connected to globally. Without acknowledgment the processor will continue the attempt. The line will go off on each processor reset which would be normal on a write failure then back on to attempt the next write cycle. It would go enable, send address, no acknowledgment, enable off with reset, enable back on and send address.....and cycle again.

Another thing I found in the training manual is that the service menu wont come onscreen when a 1080i signal is being used. The danger is that even with no onscreen menu the data can still be changed with the remote, however you wouldn't know whats being changed. Hitachi recommends do not enter service menu mode with a 1080i signal.

Changing settings can render the unit inoperable......
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+9VDC on LY13 and +1.8VDC on pins one and two of PPS2 on the power supply present and accounted for sir !

Wink

I also checked for the +5.5, +3.3 and +1.8 supply voltages at the FC board - all Ok. I also tried inputting a 1080i signal as I read on the AVS forum or somewhere else that 1080i signals bypass the FC, but no joy.

I will now be finding out directly whether its the FC or not, because I just snapped up a used module on ebay for only $50, with free shipping. Cool ...thank goodness for the rising canuck dollar.

HD-Dave
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DAVE wrote:
I also tried inputting a 1080i signal as I read on the AVS forum or somewhere else that 1080i signals bypass the FC, but no joy.

Dont believe everything you read..... Smile

Lets also hope that the used flex board is good since it was a common failure..... Confused

What was the board number of the one you bought?
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebay vendor had two - claimed both pulled from working 60" sets. He/she has 100% feedback if thats any reassurance. The module No is CS00772 HCP152, both exactly the same as the FC in my set. Should have it within a week... if it doesn't fix the problem I will just resell it, and then probably try swapping the signal board.

crossing fingers.

Cheers, Eh,
Dave
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DAVE wrote:
The flex converter has a whopping big ASIC inside - probably 90 % of the signal processing for the set is in this chip I imagine.

I'm curious if this chip is leg style or BGA.?
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a BGA - I don't see any legs sticking out around it. I wonder if heat/cool cycles hitting the FC board from its close proximity the LCD area could be causing the same form of mechanical failures that plagued the Xbox 360 ?

Anyways, my new FC board is waiting at my PO box ... might have a chance to get it this weekend.
Dave
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT WORKED !...almost.... Plugged the Ebay FC board in and I now have a picture Smile HOWEVER....

And thats a Big HOWEVER...

The image is 90% red and green colour...it looks pretty awful. There is very little if any blue at all... from certain angles I can see some blue in the outside fringes of the picture. I wonder if the blue LCD is fried in the middle.

I think its time I removed the FC and driver boards to expose the LCD panels - Mac, can I do this without throwing off the physical alignment ?

Dave
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hitachi has a procedure for removing and cleaning those panels. I'll check..
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave. I would really go over all the connections to the flex, driver and light engine.... even that monster ribbon cable. Disconnect and reconnect. Looking for any change at all in the image. Those panels would be a last resort to check and clean.

Do you have a menu and if so, how does the menu look?

If all else fails PM me your email and I'll send you info.
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havn't been able to do any more troubleshooting for a couple of weeks ( been recovering from "laser colon surgery" Wee! Confused ), but here are some pictures showing the almost total lack of blue in the raster - there is just a couple of fuzzy hints of it on the left side, like a partial halo in that area, and one patch on the right side. Green and red rasters seem pretty complete/consistent.

....Dave
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the internal menu look?
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mac! ...glad you're still lurking. Here's some menu screenshots and the Ant A input snow...
Dave
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some info
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may not leave these pics up for long so save them if you need to.
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mac! ...saved them both...so is the implication from the first pic that the blue is missing cause of the burnt filter ? Or is the blue missing because of the missing fan duct or ?

I've got a bit of mottled blue, so I don't think the latter pic applies, but who knows...

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: