Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

$1198= New 1.8 screen or digital P/J
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: $1198= New 1.8 screen or digital P/J Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ok so I have a choice to make.

I can buy a new screen for $1198, Hurley 120" 1.8 Gain,

Or,

Look for a new digital P/J for the same price. There are quite a few for $999 and lower but most of them are 720p 2 are 1080p.

How would you spend this money?

The $1200 represents my "Mad Money" for the next 3 months.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly

Last edited by dturco on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 ? that mist be with a frame correct? I was quoted about 400 bucks for a 2.4 aspect 13 foot wide lace and grommet screen. Build the frame yourself and save the cash $$$$

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes with frame. I was thinking about that option too. 2 .4 aspect ? or gain? I have their samples and the 2.5 gain is silver and throws red shift like crazy.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the unity gain sample and its just right.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used 96 inch wide Stewart 1.5 gain screen on e bay with the frame for $185. The condition was perfect. Granted it took awhile to wait for the right auction but it was well worth it IMO.
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited the post the gain was Hurley's 1.8 Superflex which will insure no seams on the screen at 61" 108".

It is much more expensive than the 1.5 gain with the seams. 2.42 times as expensive. Shocked for just the material.The frame remains a constant.

dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
I bought a used 96 inch wide Stewart 1.5 gain screen on e bay with the frame for $185. The condition was perfect. Granted it took awhile to wait for the right auction but it was well worth it IMO.

It sure was Thumbs Up But I would like to go to a larger screen so that the GT-17 lenses are not at the inner limits ; IE all the way adjusted to one side.

If I go the screen route.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't exactly understand the question given your current projector. It's a little like you had a 1991 Ferrari Testarossa, and asking if you should put $20,000 worth of new wheels, tires, brakes and suspension upgrades into the Ferrari, or should you just buy a sporty new Hyundai. I'm exaggerating, but you probably get my point.

Do you like CRT? If you do, you're going to have a hard time going to a $1200 digital. A new 1080p digital in that price range is going to be crap. Depending on the projector, a 720p model might work well, but probably not without a lens, and you'll probably still want to go scope - mo money. What's your viewing angle with that big screen size?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It that 120" wide or diagonal?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he wants a digital for a second PJ and not for the main movie watching unit.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

120 Diagonal screen size, viewing angles do not exceed 40 degrees, The digital is for a secondary unit while GOZER eats parts or gets upgraded or I break it Embarassed .

More so the ease of use when GOZER pisses me off.

And so far I like CRT's picture the best, time involved, not so much.

I know I would have to spend well over $3000 to even come close to what a CRT can do. So replacing GOZER with a comparable Digital would be hard to do sell GOZER wait, Then order new digital, wait.

Then set up new digital and find out it isn't that great ... sh*t..... wait...... start over .

Screen with gain = Brighter.

Digital = Brighter.

I want a Brighter image. Neutral

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat cave equals Brighter with CRT.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Bat cave equals Brighter with CRT.

Eh? 10fL is 10fL irrespective of how light or dark the room is. You meant "bat cave equals better contrast, so perceived brighter with a CRT", right?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hurly's pricey. If all you really want is a brighter image, something better than that gray , (almost as good as paper) screen you have now Laughing just get a Dalite HP. Half the price of the Hurley. Put the $500. difference in the bank at a whopping 1.2% interest. Or better yet get the HD mods for another boost to pic quality/performance

http://cgi.ebay.com/DA-LITE-PERM-WALL-FIXED-PROJECTION-SCREEN-54x96-NEW-HP_W0QQitemZ360124407295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53d9165dff&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262
View user's photo album (2 photos)
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Batcave, only 2 windows, covered with blinds, black-out curtains, and drapes in front of that. It's almost as dark at 3 O'clock in the afternoon as it is at 9" O'clock at night. Almost.

Light control is not the problem at all. The latest M/P mods have brightened it a bit but the picture is still not quite right.......
I'm sure this is just me being anal.

dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
the hurly's pricey. If all you really want is a brighter image, something better than that gray , (almost as good as paper) screen you have now Laughing just get a Dalite HP. Half the price of the Hurley. Put the $500. difference in the bank at a whopping 1.2% interest. Or better yet get the HD mods for another boost to pic quality/performance

http://cgi.ebay.com/DA-LITE-PERM-WALL-FIXED-PROJECTION-SCREEN-54x96-NEW-HP_W0QQitemZ360124407295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53d9165dff&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

I know I'll just get some poster board and tape it together and Viola better screen.

Actually having the Hurley samples has shown that the Elite screen isn't as bad as I thought. The gain is probably about 1.0-.09 not the 1.3 it stated but not as terrible as my impression was. But it is dead on even everywhere.

Yes the Hurley is expensive, your link is appreciated, have you seen this screen type with a CRT?

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I misunderstanding something here. I thought the Dalite was a reflective screen, and not a retro-reflective screen. Wouldn't the HP hotspot like a bandit?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
I have a Batcave, only 2 windows, covered with blinds, black-out curtains, and drapes in front of that. It's almost as dark at 3 O'clock in the afternoon as it is at 9" O'clock at night. Almost. Light control is not the problem at all.
IT's not just light control, A Dark screen wall and ceiling is really important here

dturco wrote:
The latest M/P mods have brightened it a bit but the picture is still not quite right.......
I'm sure this is just me being anal.
no, it's you watching a sh*tty screen Laughing

dturco wrote:
Yes the Hurley is expensive, your link is appreciated, have you seen this screen type with a CRT?
yes, a couple of times already, it's really impressive and both guys (local MArquee heads) love theirs. Greg1292 just got one and loves it see below

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17538

WanMan wrote:
Am I misunderstanding something here. I thought the Dalite was a reflective screen, and not a retro-reflective screen. Wouldn't the HP hotspot like a bandit?
HP 2.8 gain is retro-reflective. Se the link above, there's no hot-spotting
View user's photo album (2 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm snagging an Optoma HD20 for work... For those purposes, I care about:

-Resolution
-Brightness
-ANSI
-Low weight
-Ability to be pummeled around at 2gs for hours at a time

Those are all areas in which CRT does not excel. Wink But when I get it in, I'm planning on hauling it down to the HT and doing a quick setup to see just what a $999 digital looks like. Should be interesting.

I'm not sure if the HD20 can do 24p - meaningless for my work but a dealbreaker for HT use if it's locked to 60hz.

On the other hand, if it does 24p... well - you're left with accuracy of primaries and black level. With VideoEqualizer, if the primaries are there, anything else can be fixed. I made a 960x540 Mitsubishi LCD PJ from 2005 look pretty good color-wise, with an earlier version of VE that was really hard to work with (I didn't spend much time at it).

What I'd really like to do is get absolute dead-nuts comparison shots - set up the camera on a tripod, and run both PJs from the computer at the same time so they're each getting the exact same frame, and eliminate the variables between cameras/setups/etc etc. Done that way it should be possible to at least get a valid COMPARISON between the two color-wise, even though you can't use a screenshot to judge colors absolutely...

Of course, that all depends on free time...

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
I'm snagging an Optoma HD20 for work... For those purposes, I care about:

-Resolution
-Brightness
-ANSI
-Low weight
-Ability to be pummeled around at 2gs for hours at a time

Those are all areas in which CRT does not excel. Wink But when I get it in, I'm planning on hauling it down to the HT and doing a quick setup to see just what a $999 digital looks like. Should be interesting.

I'm not sure if the HD20 can do 24p - meaningless for my work but a dealbreaker for HT use if it's locked to 60hz.

On the other hand, if it does 24p... well - you're left with accuracy of primaries and black level. With VideoEqualizer, if the primaries are there, anything else can be fixed. I made a 960x540 Mitsubishi LCD PJ from 2005 look pretty good color-wise, with an earlier version of VE that was really hard to work with (I didn't spend much time at it).

What I'd really like to do is get absolute dead-nuts comparison shots - set up the camera on a tripod, and run both PJs from the computer at the same time so they're each getting the exact same frame, and eliminate the variables between cameras/setups/etc etc. Done that way it should be possible to at least get a valid COMPARISON between the two color-wise, even though you can't use a screenshot to judge colors absolutely...

Of course, that all depends on free time...

Yes this is kinda what I was thinking.

I look forward to your review Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: