Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cheap screens...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rssimm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
do you have to be a distributor to buy from wilsonart directly? they are local to me and would like to not "special order" something that is literally 5 min from my work.
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rssimm wrote:
do you have to be a distributor to buy from wilsonart directly? they are local to me and would like to not "special order" something that is literally 5 min from my work.

Yeah if you buy it from the front desk I am sure you have to prove you are a business and intend to purchase in volume...

You need to find out who the guy is that makes that call and take him to lunch....

I worked for Elk Composite building products for a time.. They had the same situation.. They would ship stuff to Colorado and then back to a distributor in Kansas.... Or some nonsense like that...

But trust me.. Its all about relationships and money... Wink

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was thinking about getting set up with Wilsonart to help the forum members, but like ronholm said its just not a big of enough difference in price to justify.

Let's say as a dealer I could buy at $70 a sheet? I would have to buy it, buy the tube, to pack it in 5.5 ft tube $25? ,seal the ends somehow, transport to post office and then shipping for the oversized object would most likely be $30-50?

So the cost just to get the material ready is $125-$150, and that would be me just being a nice guy and not adding anything for my time, which is not likely either.

So it most likely will remain a pain to get, and it would seem, it will cost what it costs no matter where you get it from.

It's about $150 no matter what.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't use a tube... It doesn't roll down much smaller than 24" or maybe 18" in dia, so a box would be fine. But, still - just shipping will burn most (if not all) of the cost advantage compared to just buying locally. I don't think you can even ship a box that size on UPS or FedEx without the gigantic rip-off price kicking in.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
rssimm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After poking around the wilsonart website they are a distributor out of their offices. i'll be calling on monday to confirm.
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rssimm wrote:
After poking around the wilsonart website they are a distributor out of their offices. i'll be calling on monday to confirm.

It will be interesting to see what THEY THEMSELVES charge. Smile

ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
rssimm wrote:

It will be interesting to see what THEY THEMSELVES charge. Smile

Or we are going to see how good our friend is.... Laughing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
These prices are where I have to take a deep breath. Some people have been paying upwards of $300-$400 for a complete Wilsonart screen. To me, that is insane. You can get some good screen material for cheaper than that.

What good commercial screen are you talking about that's cheaper than $300, Spanky?

The commercial screens are almost all significantly more money, and most of the lower-end Draper and Da-Lite matte screens are closer to 1.1 gain, not the 1.3 that WilsonArt can potentially give you. You have to go to a higher-gain screen like the Video Spectra (1.5 gain), and deal with the smaller viewing cone and hot-spotting, which may or may not be acceptable depending on your room and projector mount.

I'm amazed at the variability of the prices of what seem like commodity materials. Yes, I've heard of people paying $65 for a sheet of DW, but I suspect that was for vertical grade. I paid around $140 or so with tax for my sheet from a wholesale supplier, which I thought was a good deal and seems fairly close to other prices in the $120-150 ballpark I mostly see from people posting about it. Given that, I can't comprehend how Lowe's could possibly be selling a sheet for $265 that everybody else can sell for half that. It makes no sense and I wonder if the pricing was just flat out wrong.

I can't say for sure, but I think when I bought my sheet for $140 or so, I did it knowing it was $20 or so HIGHER than Lowe's because Lowe's had to special order it and the wholesale supplier had it in stock. But, now it's apparently double. WTF?

SC

I thought Hurley was one. I was thinking that some of those close to unity gain screens were less than $200. For some reason, the Vutec Pearlbrite comes to mind at $180. As for the gain, you are right, but I don't see that there is that big of a difference between 1.1 and 1.2. If you want to go big, then do a Torus.
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
These prices are where I have to take a deep breath. Some people have been paying upwards of $300-$400 for a complete Wilsonart screen. To me, that is insane. You can get some good screen material for cheaper than that.

What good commercial screen are you talking about that's cheaper than $300, Spanky?

The commercial screens are almost all significantly more money, and most of the lower-end Draper and Da-Lite matte screens are closer to 1.1 gain, not the 1.3 that WilsonArt can potentially give you. You have to go to a higher-gain screen like the Video Spectra (1.5 gain), and deal with the smaller viewing cone and hot-spotting, which may or may not be acceptable depending on your room and projector mount.

I'm amazed at the variability of the prices of what seem like commodity materials. Yes, I've heard of people paying $65 for a sheet of DW, but I suspect that was for vertical grade. I paid around $140 or so with tax for my sheet from a wholesale supplier, which I thought was a good deal and seems fairly close to other prices in the $120-150 ballpark I mostly see from people posting about it. Given that, I can't comprehend how Lowe's could possibly be selling a sheet for $265 that everybody else can sell for half that. It makes no sense and I wonder if the pricing was just flat out wrong.

I can't say for sure, but I think when I bought my sheet for $140 or so, I did it knowing it was $20 or so HIGHER than Lowe's because Lowe's had to special order it and the wholesale supplier had it in stock. But, now it's apparently double. WTF?

SC

I thought Hurley was one. I was thinking that some of those close to unity gain screens were less than $200. For some reason, the Vutec Pearlbrite comes to mind at $180. As for the gain, you are right, but I don't see that there is that big of a difference between 1.1 and 1.2. If you want to go big, then do a Torus.

Hurley is one if you are talking about just the material. You would still have to build a frame because the frame and screen package is stupid expensive.

I went to Hurley and talked with them about this screen size 58x104. First there would be a seam in the superglow 1.5 material at this size $4.88 per sqft. DW no seams. $2.50 per sqft. If I would go up to the supergloflex 1.8 gain no seams
$11.80 a sqft, not a typo $11.80 for supergloflex, just so you don't have seams.
So for now I will test/use DW.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sample of the hurly with the seam and you dont see it from 1 times seating distance i tested it at on a full white screen.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I have a sample of the hurly with the seam and you dont see it from 1 times seating distance i tested it at on a full white screen.

Athanasios

I may have given the impression that the seam is visible on the Hurley screens. I did not mean to. It was just an observation and reasoning for why I am using the DW. I saw the Hurley seam on the drop down screen the had on display in their offices. It was invisible at any distance up to 3 feet from the screen and even then it was because once you found it you would focus hard on that spot to prove to yourself that you could see it.

In fact if the DW doesn't suit me I will be buying from Hurley. Just not the Supergloflex, 1 it's to expensive, 2 it looks kinda pink, and the sample I have showed a lot of red shifting, blooming , I don't know, it just seemed weird.

So If, and this is a Big If, the DW isn't what I expect then Hurley it IS. Because I ain't never paying what Stewart costs, no matter how good it is.

CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
I may have given the impression that the seam is visible on the Hurley screens. I did not mean to. It was just an observation and reasoning for why I am using the DW. I saw the Hurley seam on the drop down screen the had on display in their offices. It was invisible at any distance up to 3 feet from the screen and even then it was because once you found it you would focus hard on that spot to prove to yourself that you could see it.

In fact if the DW doesn't suit me I will be buying from Hurley. Just not the Supergloflex, 1 it's to expensive, 2 it looks kinda pink, and the sample I have showed a lot of red shifting, blooming , I don't know, it just seemed weird.

So If, and this is a Big If, the DW isn't what I expect then Hurley it IS. Because I ain't never paying what Stewart costs, no matter how good it is.

The Hurley seam is pretty good - however they royally pissed me off because they didn't tell me there would be a seam until I had already ordered and paid for my screen to be cut. They refused to refund my money, so I went to Amex and won. I agree about the Superglo Flex, I got a sample of that and it was just strange. Very pink. I'm interested to know how you like the DW because that's a front-runner for my theater.
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
dturco wrote:

The Hurley seam is pretty good - however they royally pissed me off because they didn't tell me there would be a seam until I had already ordered and paid for my screen to be cut. They refused to refund my money, so I went to Amex and won. I agree about the Superglo Flex, I got a sample of that and it was just strange. Very pink. I'm interested to know how you like the DW because that's a front-runner for my theater.

Ben, I read your thread about that issue, which is one of the reasons I went to their factory to see it , that and they are in the same state as me. The sample they send is just to small[ 8x10] to get a reasonable feel for how it really looks.

I also agree that if I wasn't told or aware of that seam I would have done exactly what you did, refused the material and opened the dispute too.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben do you still have that screen ? I want a screen for my test bench set i plan to build.

Dave i got the the one thats unity gain (1 ) so it was pure white, and when i put it up onthe screen i have now, a da lite 1,3 gain, it was sharper as well, no texture is why.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Ben do you still have that screen ? I want a screen for my test bench set i plan to build.

Dave i got the the one thats unity gain (1 ) so it was pure white, and when i put it up onthe screen i have now, a da lite 1,3 gain, it was sharper as well, no texture is why.

Athanasios

Hey Nash,

I never received the screen, I don't think they shipped it as I informed them I was going to open a dispute after they refused to refund my money. They said they cut it but I don't think it was ever shipped. However the total amount was only around $150 so if you have some cash to burn Wink you could have one cut. Personally I would just use BOC though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: