Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cheap screens...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
WanMan wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
Dave, out of curiosity did you ever compare the DW and the Da-Lite M1300?
Took the words out of my mouth. I have the M1300. Had it for 5 years now.

First, did you mean Draper M1300 or some other Da-Lite model?

I'm going to assume Draper. I have not done a completely "fair" comparison. I only have a 12" x 14" section of M1300.

Some interesting facts:
1) The M1300 measures as a 1.25 gain screen--so almost identical to the DW.
2) The M1300 measures almost the same blueshift as the DW--so again, almost identical to the DW.

However, putting that section on various points of a DW screens shows the two to be very similar in performance (i.e. the small M1300 section didn't look different than the surrounding DW area) due to the above facts. For instance, a Studiotek 130 square on a DW screen that has projected bright white or a very blue sky looks diffent because the Studiotek does not color shift at all.

The one place that the M1300 did VERY SLIGHTLY better than the DW as very bright very white sections like those you get from a digital projector. On those, the M1300 was a bit "smoother" appearing where the texture of the DW created a bit "harsher" more "sparkly" (but not really sparkly, more "overly bright spots") sheen on that section.

I did not notice this problem on DW with the generally more "subdued" whites of a CRT.

The place that the DW beat the M1300 was sharpness. Since it is a hard white surface that does not let any light pass and reflects all light from pretty much the same plane, the DW VERY VERY SLIGHTLY sharper than the M1300. But I don't you would notice this if not looking for it.

YMMV.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
WanMan wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
Dave, out of curiosity did you ever compare the DW and the Da-Lite M1300?
Took the words out of my mouth. I have the M1300. Had it for 5 years now.

First, did you mean Draper M1300 or some other Da-Lite model?

I'm going to assume Draper. I have not done a completely "fair" comparison. I only have a 12" x 14" section of M1300.

Some interesting facts:
1) The M1300 measures as a 1.25 gain screen--so almost identical to the DW.
2) The M1300 measures almost the same blueshift as the DW--so again, almost identical to the DW.

However, putting that section on various points of a DW screens shows the two to be very similar in performance (i.e. the small M1300 section didn't look different than the surrounding DW area) due to the above facts. For instance, a Studiotek 130 square on a DW screen that has projected bright white or a very blue sky looks diffent because the Studiotek does not color shift at all.

The one place that the M1300 did VERY SLIGHTLY better than the DW as very bright very white sections like those you get from a digital projector. On those, the M1300 was a bit "smoother" appearing where the texture of the DW created a bit "harsher" more "sparkly" (but not really sparkly, more "overly bright spots") sheen on that section.

I did not notice this problem on DW with the generally more "subdued" whites of a CRT.

The place that the DW beat the M1300 was sharpness. Since it is a hard white surface that does not let any light pass and reflects all light from pretty much the same plane, the DW VERY VERY SLIGHTLY sharper than the M1300. But I don't you would notice this if not looking for it.

YMMV.

I think we're having a Dave problem. there's 3 of us in this thread. I think Gary was asking me about the Wilsonart.

But I like what you have done in the comparison you mentioned above and thank you as well. It sure saved me some time.

DTURCO

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:

I think we're having a Dave problem.

If I'm involved, there is guaranteed to be a Dave problem!

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Dave just confusion which is what I specialize in.

dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for shits and giggles I taped a piece of copy paper to my screen to see if there was a difference. There is, the paper is brighter?

I know this has been done before by Mr.Green and others but seriously WTF? Paper is brighter? I am off to get some Wilsonart to compare.

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
I have this cheap pull down screen.I have never used anything else so I have no comparison but it seems to work well enough.

dturco wrote:
Well for shits and giggles I taped a piece of copy paper to my screen to see if there was a difference. There is, the paper is brighter?I know this has been done before by Mr.Green and others but seriously WTF? Paper is brighter? I am off to get some Wilsonart to compare.

well now you have something to compare it to...............Paper Laughing Cheap pull down screens are only slightly better than a bed sheet. Considering CRT's really have no "extra" light output to sacrifice using a low gain .9 or even 1.0 screen is a huge mistake. A friend of mine was using black-out cloth at .9 gain and I couldn't believe how dim it was with Contrast cranked up to 70%.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
dturco wrote:
I have this cheap pull down screen.I have never used anything else so I have no comparison but it seems to work well enough.

dturco wrote:
Well for shits and giggles I taped a piece of copy paper to my screen to see if there was a difference. There is, the paper is brighter?I know this has been done before by Mr.Green and others but seriously WTF? Paper is brighter? I am off to get some Wilsonart to compare.

well now you have something to compare it to...............Paper Laughing Cheap pull down screens are only slightly better than a bed sheet. Considering CRT's really have no "extra" light output to sacrifice using a low gain .9 or even 1.0 screen is a huge mistake. A friend of mine was using black-out cloth at .9 gain and I couldn't believe how dim it was with Contrast cranked up to 70%.

Yeah but the screen claimed a 1.3 gain. Evil or Very Mad

How was I to know that would be bull****. Twisted Evil

And I swear the screen has been 'GRAYING' since I got it. I thought it was brighter when I first put it up and it probably was. Confused

Hurley Screens is here in Maryland, guess where I am going tomorrow. Razz

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:

Disney world? Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't have to I'm already GOOFY.

dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
dturco wrote:

Disney world? Laughing

Are you having an identity Crisis? What with the myriad of avatars?

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
dturco wrote:

Disney world? Laughing

Are you having an identity Crisis? What with the myriad of avatars?

It's Eggsquisit isn't it?

150EggHead.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.81 KB
 Viewed:  12062 Time(s)

150EggHead.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Eggsactly Laughing

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
Not Eggsactly Laughing

How about this one:

Bet you blink before eye do Wink

150_8892.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.04 KB
 Viewed:  12054 Time(s)

150_8892.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you Head into any Light it will make you Blink Wink

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:

No but it can make you a head case.

CRT.

HD done right!
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
dturco wrote:

No but it can make you a head case.

The Head is on top of the Block, not in the Headlight, unless your a Lightheaded Blockhead Laughing

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
draganm wrote:
dturco wrote:

dturco wrote:

Yeah but the screen claimed a 1.3 gain. Evil or Very Mad

How was I to know that would be bull****. Twisted Evil

And I swear the screen has been 'GRAYING' since I got it. I thought it was brighter when I first put it up and it probably was. Confused

All the cheap screens from monoprice and places like that and the cheap ones on ebay lie. Every one I have tested is below its gain raiting. I got ahold of one 1.0 gain that was actually under .8! Virtually every one that claimed over 1.0 gain (up to about 1.3 gain) was actually between .9 and 1.0. I think you'll like the DW for an affordable option.

MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I'm still running my 8 year old Parkland Plastics Screen...Are you familiar with that material?...If so how does it compare to DW would it be a worthwhile upgrade?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took down my DW laminate screen a few weeks ago and replaced it with an Elite Screens 120" fixed frame screen with the Cinewhite material. I was pretty happy with the DW screen for going on 2 years but it did have an issue with hotspotting near the top center of the screen that bothered me a little. That along with the fact that it was such a large and heavy piece of material and never really laid completely flat on my wall. I had secured it to the wall on a wood frame and had lots of support behind it but aside from gluing a piece of rigid material the size of the screen to the back of the DW it was never going to be completely flat. So I took the plunge and bought a "real" screen for the first time ever. I'm very happy with this Elite screen and the image is more uniform and free of hotspotting. It's very well constructed and the black velvet border sucks up every bit of stray light that might spill over the sides. I gave the DW material to my brother who just has an old digital projector and no screen to experiment with. It would have been a shame to throw it all away and I hope he is able to use it. I would still recommend the DW laminate to anyone wanting a DIY solution and it does yield a nice image that is very watchable.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a problem with my current DW screen being flat. Of course, it is not flat by design--it is 9.5' wide curved screen with a sagitta of 4.25".

It is attached to a curved frame which is anchored to the wall. Additionally I have a very nice 3" triple black velvet border that looks as nice as my last (or any) commercial screen. Additionally, I have triple black masking panels for the side. A bunch of effort and about $400 is what this cost. The cheapest I could get into a similar performing curved commercial screen of this performance is well over $2000.

As for the hotspotting, it has it. However it can be "dialed out". My current PJ is digital and has height adjustment so I mananged to be able to place the PJ at a height which did not cause hotspotting for either the first or second row.

YMMV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: