Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cheap screens...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben851

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Cheap screens... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm looking to get a 106" 16x9 fixed screen for my dedicated HT... I'm on a fairly tight budget so I'd like to keep things in a good "bang for buck" range... Anyone have any experience with any of these:

Accuscreen 106" Fixed - $299

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3296548&CatId=2447

Maxstar 106" Fixed - $310

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MaxStar-HDTV-Format-16-9-106-Projector-Fixed-Screen_W0QQitemZ110415337211QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b54456fb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I guess it's all purely speculative but anyone think I'd notice a huge difference in forking out some extra cash to get something like this?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2302699&CatId=2447

Thanks
Ben
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not contact Hurley Screens. they have pretty good prices for a pretty nice Screen. WTS loves his Hurley and I plan to get one soon as well.

I had a quote for a 2.39 screen 13 feet wide for just over 400 bucks, lace and grommet which means I would have to make my own frame. the prefabbed frames are ridiculously expensive.

http://www.hurleyscreen.com/

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your #3 choice is a gray screen which is not good for a CRT. I am taking a leap of faith that you have a CRT. So don't get that one for sure.
I have this cheap pull down screen.

http://curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15317

I have never used anything else so I have no comparison but it seems to work well enough. I am going to be buying a "Better and Bigger"? one soon though.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I read the thread title I thought I'd mention Hurley but I see Athanasios beat me to it. It's easy to make a frame for grommet/lace, I just went to homedepot and bought some aluminum conduit and 90s, some 6"x3/4" boards, conduit straps and some flat metal strapping. Build your 16/9 frame then mount it to the 6x3/4" boards then cover the boards with black velvet for your border.
Ben851

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
your #3 choice is a gray screen which is not good for a CRT. I am taking a leap of faith that you have a CRT. So don't get that one for sure.

I have never used anything else so I have no comparison but it seems to work well enough. I am going to be buying a "Better and Bigger"? one soon though.

Whoops missed that - I am indeed running a Marquee 8501...

Thanks for the tip on Hurley screens... It seems like a no brainer as far as cost effectiveness goes but time is actually the biggest factor right now as I'm trying to get this done before my wedding... Adding on another DIY project is probably not the best thing to do.

In the hour or so since I posted this I kind of made the choice for myself as I just purchased a moome hdmi card - cutting into the screen budget. I'm going to give the Accuscreen a try as I'm already placing a large order with Tigerdirect.... I'll let everyone know how it looks!

Thanks
Ben
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben851 wrote:
dturco wrote:

Whoops missed that - I am indeed running a Marquee 8501...

Thanks for the tip on Hurley screens... It seems like a no brainer as far as cost effectiveness goes but time is actually the biggest factor right now as I'm trying to get this done before my wedding... Adding on another DIY project is probably not the best thing to do.

In the hour or so since I posted this I kind of made the choice for myself as I just purchased a moome hdmi card - cutting into the screen budget. I'm going to give the Accuscreen a try as I'm already placing a large order with Tigerdirect.... I'll let everyone know how it looks!

Thanks
Ben

Make sure you e-mail Moome and insist that it's the special circuit suggestion by Mike Parker. It make a HUGE difference. I think he's doing it to all of them now ,but insist that yours has it.

Repeat insist.

Dave.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave all of latest will have the new designed filter added, I spoke to moome and he assured me they would be.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so. Playing it safe, when I can. Very Happy

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben851 wrote:

ThanksBen
they claim a gain of 1.0 and acoustically transparent. I hope it's not too dim for you.
I couldn't find any professional reviews but I remember when tested some screens rated as 1.0 or 1.3 were eactually quite a bit less with some even having light leaking through the fabric and into the space behind the screen, Carada comes to mind.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_screens_review.htm

Quote:
results were as follows:

White Screens
Stewart Studiotek 130 130%
Draper M1300 125%
Da-lite CinemaVision 110%
Goo Systems CRT White 100%
Vutec BriteWhite 90%
Carada Classic Cinema White 65%

good luck
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Ben851

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Ben851 wrote:

ThanksBen
they claim a gain of 1.0 and acoustically transparent. I hope it's not too dim for you.
I couldn't find any professional reviews but I remember when tested some screens rated as 1.0 or 1.3 were eactually quite a bit less with some even having light leaking through the fabric and into the space behind the screen, Carada comes to mind.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_screens_review.htm

Quote:
results were as follows:

White Screens
Stewart Studiotek 130 130%
Draper M1300 125%
Da-lite CinemaVision 110%
Goo Systems CRT White 100%
Vutec BriteWhite 90%
Carada Classic Cinema White 65%

good luck

I found a couple reviews over at AVSForum and people seemed to be happy with them (other than a strong vinyl smell that apparently dissipates over time)... If it's absolute junk I'll just count that as a lesson learned and sell it off cheap. It will at least get the theater up and running in the meantime though..
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it's junk, It's a velvet covered Aluminum fixed frame so you don't have to worry about waviness. As long as it's at least truly 1.0 gain you'll be happy, IF not then selling it at a 100 dollar loss isn't the end of the world either. I know the 2 materials I've seen with CRT's (I have an 8500 too) that really impressed me were the Draper M1300 and Da-lite HP. You could always scour e-bay too, a used $1K screen will typically sell for $250.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
daves123

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy on ebay who's got a bunch of the 106" accuscreens that you can get for pretty cheap. They are store returns from tiger direct. I got 2 from him for $100. I was expecting the worst, and was very surprised. They were in great shape. I also wanted some more mounting clips, so I contacted accuscreen and the couriered me a bunch more for free. I can probably dig up his email address if you need it.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
lace and grommet

most people really don't want lace and grommet for home theater unless you plan to surround it with curtains including the bottom like a theater.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm a screen freak. I've comapared more than you would ever want to. I can't believe no one has yet mentioned the clear bang for the buck leader--DW!!!

The Hurley is good for the price if you stay with the lower gain ones (1.5 or less). Their higher gain ones hotspot.

The Studiotek 130 seriously has not rival--period. But it costs.

But in the bang for buck Wilsonart Designer White (DW) rules. It has been tested to death (has minor blue shift--but less than some commercial screens) and proved itself good. A piece for your size is less than $100 and in my comparison's, it beats or equals just about every commercial screen you can get for under $1000 (including the hurley).

Most screens actually have a bit less gain then advertised--so a 1.3 is really like 1.1, etc. The Stewart is a true 1.3 though. The DW is a true 1.24.

Get it and you won't be sorry!

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
OK, I'm a screen freak. I've comapared more than you would ever want to. I can't believe no one has yet mentioned the clear bang for the buck leader--DW!!!

The Hurley is good for the price if you stay with the lower gain ones (1.5 or less). Their higher gain ones hotspot.

The Studiotek 130 seriously has not rival--period. But it costs.

But in the bang for buck Wilsonart Designer White (DW) rules. It has been tested to death (has minor blue shift--but less than some commercial screens) and proved itself good. A piece for your size is less than $100 and in my comparison's, it beats or equals just about every commercial screen you can get for under $1000 (including the hurley).

Most screens actually have a bit less gain then advertised--so a 1.3 is really like 1.1, etc. The Stewart is a true 1.3 though. The DW is a true 1.24.

Get it and you won't be sorry!

I am considering going this route with the Wilsonart. My plans are to set up the 9500 with the lense focus knobs at mid point so they are in their optimum range? and then cut the Wilsonart to fit the projected image .

Crazy or mildly interesting [smart]?

My thought is to put up a piece of Lauan and cover it with a white sheet to find this sweet spot in the lenses.

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, out of curiosity did you ever compare the DW and the Da-Lite M1300?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Dave, out of curiosity did you ever compare the DW and the Da-Lite M1300?
Took the words out of my mouth. I have the M1300. Had it for 5 years now.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't started any comparisons yet. My thought for the Wilsonart was it's $112.00, if I don't like the results I can cut it up and use it for 2-3 bathroom counter tops/ garage work bench/ potting shed/ later so it could be easy to re-purpose or use as intended. The Da-Lite screen however means I would have to unload it somehow. I see from Drag,mans post that it has been done but I like to see things with my own eyes not in writing by someone in an article touting his opinion. Of course if it were someone here it would lend a lot more credence to my feelings towards the results.

Edit I guess we're talking about the Draper M1300 Not a Da-lite. I could not find a Dalite M1300.

Last edited by dturco on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben851

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daves123 wrote:
There is a guy on ebay who's got a bunch of the 106" accuscreens that you can get for pretty cheap. They are store returns from tiger direct. I got 2 from him for $100. I was expecting the worst, and was very surprised. They were in great shape. I also wanted some more mounting clips, so I contacted accuscreen and the couriered me a bunch more for free. I can probably dig up his email address if you need it.

bah I saw his ad on ebay, I was going to go for it but didn't like the idea of scratch n' dent (this is the first time I've been able to afford to not cut corners...)Sounds like I should have taken the chance!

In terms of quality (picture and otherwise) how do you like them?

Thanks
Ben
daves123

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there were no scratches or dents on either of the screens I got. Both boxes were mangled, but the individual screen parts were all sealed in there individual plastic bags. I was very surprised. He gave me 2 screens for $100 + $50 to ship both to Ontario from Tennessee (i think) So I was pretty happy. The screens are nice looking, with black velvet borders. They are acoustically transparent though, and they give you 4 mounting clips which MUST be equally spaced on the wall. The screen will bow a bit, until the fabric loosens up. I wasn't really happy about this so I emailed the company and they sent me more clips via ups for free. I actually ended up building 2 wooden frames covered in black material to go behind the screen, I then built a jig to help evenly space the clips, and screwed them into the frames, then attached the screens. I'm now very happy with them. They look great and are very solid. I've only set one up so far in the bedroom (still finishing the basement theater) and I like it better than the draper shadowbox with the m1300 material I was using previously. The draper reflected the red and blues a bit too much on there respective sides, the accuscreen still does this, but not so bad. This leads me to believe that the gain is a little over 1.0, but I could be wrong there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: