Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

PERMANENT LINKS - USER DEFINED
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: PERMANENT LINKS - USER DEFINED Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal, Curt

Is there a method to add a permanent link within a post similar to the “Profile” or “PM” links only user defined? A permanent link would provide easy navigation to key documentation supporting the topic of discussion.

There may be some way to do this now but if so it isn’t obvious to me.

What do you think?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

add it into your signature in your profile page like the links I have in mine , every time I post it shows up.

Would that work for you?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just posting to post!!!!hahaha

Oh and to show you my link also!

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with these methods is the link only appears if I post to the thread. What I was thinking is that the link be a function of posting to the thread and appear on each post to it similar to the poll function. This way the creator of the thread can make available any information deemed relevant to the topic permanently to each user that posts to the thread for the life of the thread.

One example as to how I would use this functionality would be to create an overview document, of the topic of discussion, and create the permanent link to that document allowing user x on post #135 to gain instant access to my overview
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, signatures (and avatars) can be turned off...I usually have them both permanently off so I don't view John's avatars or similar at work.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if in the pool question you can add the link? then have the poll really have nothing to it, like Yes i clicked the link and No i did not click the link.
then its alway at the begining of the post. not sure if links can be added in the poll question tough.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, you don’t like my avatar? I’m offended!

Maybe “Sticky Link” would be a better term, not permanent link.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueChili wrote:

LOL nice avatar. Gene Simmons would be proud.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's really necessary. Typically in the types of threads you're referring to, the author puts all relevant information in, say, the first couple of posts. As the thread evolves, post #1 can be edited or updated as the information evolves based on the discussion. Then, anybody who posts in the thread can be reminded that all relevant information including links, citations, references, etc. can be found in the first couple of posts.

Often, you'll see somebody start a thread, and add a few posts with nothing but "reserved" in the body of the post. That way, they can be edited in-line ahead of all the other posts as the information/discussion evolves.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueChili wrote:

lol...I clicked on your profile to take a look...it's, well, shall we say 'pleasant'? Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I'm not sure it's really necessary. Typically in the types of threads you're referring to, the author puts all relevant information in, say, the first couple of posts. As the thread evolves, post #1 can be edited or updated as the information evolves based on the discussion. Then, anybody who posts in the thread can be reminded that all relevant information including links, citations, references, etc. can be found in the first couple of posts.

Often, you'll see somebody start a thread, and add a few posts with nothing but "reserved" in the body of the post. That way, they can be edited in-line ahead of all the other posts as the information/discussion evolves.

SC

This is what I do and is what I've seen done on every forum I've ever visited. I'm not sure I understand the original request (I read it quickly however).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili... I'm still not clear on what you're wanting, either... One thing you can do is wrap a link around an image... So, you could make your own custom buttons for a super-hi-fi neato post if that's what you wanted. Here's a graphic with a link wrapped around it:

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal I think he means that he want's to be able to have a direct link to each post so that he can copy that link and add it as a reference to another thread. so for example if I want to link your post above mine directly so it goes straight to it there is no way , i have to link to the main page which takes you to the top. AVS and AV forums have a direct link associated with each post. I would like this too as then I can put each section of my marquee upgrades on my very first page of that thread. so those who want to find for example the CLM mod post they can find it right in the first post.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Kal I think he means that he want's to be able to have a direct link to each post so that he can copy that link and add it as a reference to another thread. so for example if I want to link your post above mine directly so it goes straight to it there is no way , i have to link to the main page which takes you to the top. AVS and AV forums have a direct link associated with each post. I would like this too as then I can put each section of my marquee upgrades on my very first page of that thread. so those who want to find for example the CLM mod post they can find it right in the first post.

Athanasios

Athan - click on the tiny little page looking icon next to the word "Posted" at the top of each post. I think that's what you're looking for. Here's a link directly to your post: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202314#202314
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

Yes similar to what you wrote only not limited to content in the post but allow linking to any valid URL (I.E. my server). Only thing, when the author creates the link it should carry automatically to each subsequent post showing up in some designated area; for example on the top border next to the “Quote” button. This way the link is always available in the last post eliminating the need to navigate to the first post to find the links. A limit of three links would be fine.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueChili wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

Yes similar to what you wrote only not limited to content in the post but allow linking to any valid URL (I.E. my server). Only thing, when the author creates the link it should carry automatically to each subsequent post showing up in some designated area; for example on the top border next to the “Quote” button. This way the link is always available in the last post eliminating the need to navigate to the first post to find the links. A limit of three links would be fine.

I think I get it but frankly I don't see the value. I've never in my life seen anything like this. Typically if something is truly useful you'll see it used in many forums. Have you actually seen this used elsewhere?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
add it into your signature in your profile page like the links I have in mine , every time I post it shows up.

Would that work for you?

Athanasios

Yes, what is the procedure to insert the link?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as if your were isertig a link with different text into a post:

[url=xxxlink xxxxxx.com] any text you want for the description [/url]

just do not add the spaces i have before and after the description

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Just as if your were isertig a link with different text into a post:

[url=xxxlink xxxxxx.com] any text you want for the description [/url]

just do not add the spaces i have before and after the description

Athanasios

How is the html code enabled? I would like to make the visibility of links dependent on the thread I.D.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh , the links in your signature will always be there, not thread specific. Now I see what your trying to do. I see how it might be helpful for some threads, where you would need to keep referencing a certain link pertaining to the thread.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: