Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HELP! Many mail servers has blacklisted CurtPalme.com !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
kal wrote:
k.berger wrote:
Hi Kal,

just crossed my mind: you may want to look into possibility of using for your mail different hosting company, like the one where you registered Domain. That would require changes in DNS Record, but it's easy, and combination would cost a lot less than dedicated server.

Kris

Interesting idea - Iill look into it. The one issue I see is that you'd likely still be on a shared IP of some sort so the same issue could occur. For you to be on your very own mail IP you'd need to be completely isolated.

Kal

well .... what i had in mind was you shoving all mail from curtpalme.com to my server. i'd be set up my cf files to allow relaying for that domain, from that IP. mail back to curtpalme.com isn't the problem (you're still accepting mail, the blacklists only affect curtpalme.com's outgoing mail as your outbound SMTP connections are being refused).
k.berger

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
k.berger wrote:
Hi Kal,

just crossed my mind: you may want to look into possibility of using for your mail different hosting company, like the one where you registered Domain. That would require changes in DNS Record, but it's easy, and combination would cost a lot less than dedicated server.

Kris

Interesting idea - Iill look into it. The one issue I see is that you'd likely still be on a shared IP of some sort so the same issue could occur. For you to be on your very own mail IP you'd need to be completely isolated.

Kal

That's of course true, but if that shared IP belongs to server that ONLY does SMTP (outgoing email), than probability of it being infected is very small. Remember, in yous case as in most of the others, infection came through either FTP connection, HTTP upload or such. Dedicated SMTP server is pretty much immune to those.
Case in point: Has it ever happened that your Internet Provider's SMTP server wound up on Banned Spammers List?

Kris

Last edited by k.berger on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.berger wrote:
That's of course is true, but if that shared IP belongs to server that ONLY does SMTP (outgoing email), than probability of it being infected is very small. Remember, in yous case as in most of the others, infection came through either FTP connection, HTTP upload or such. Dedicated SMTP server is pretty much immune to those.
Case in point: Has it ever happened that your Internet Provider's SMTP server wound up on Banned Spammers List?

Kris

I don't understand the difference though: In our case A compromised FTP account at IP "X" (one of the virtual machines on the server) had some script uploaded and run and the mail was sent out by the SMTP server at IP "Y" (the base machine IP). Wouldn't that be the same thing? Or maybe the SMTP server at this case openly allows all outgoing mail from IP "X" to go out without authentication.... no password required. Standalone SMTP services likely require an account and password?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
k.berger

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's exactly how it is (only authenticated users can use SMTP service), and since all (or at least most) other ports, and other services, like FTP, HTTP and such aren't available on such machine, chances of direct infection are small.
Of course somebody CAN still ID of legitimate user... But then, it's not that easy, and it's easy to correct by changing log-in parameters.

Kris
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any first hand recommendations for a mail company? We send out around 30,000 to 60,000 emails/month.

Kal

k.berger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

your best bet would be in my opinion you domain registrar (was it Godaddy.com?). They routinely provide this service for their customers. I am not sure if you would have to switch DNS servers to their own or not (technically it's not necessary, but I don't know about their administrative rules). One way or the other it's not difficult, and you wouldn't be dealing with another company.

Kris
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kris. Makes sense. I'd also do DNS hosting by them then too as I'd be able to self-manage it instead of asking my current web host to make the DNS changes.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... GoDaddy.com (and most others) don't seem to have to email forwarding. Places that offer email services seem to all be about storage space and POP accounts mostly. We use about 30-40 email addresses here but only 2 are actual pop accounts with very little in them. The rest are just forwards.

Kal

zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Anyone have any first hand recommendations for a mail company? We send out around 30,000 to 60,000 emails/month.

Kal

yeah,
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah?

k.berger

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hmm.... GoDaddy.com (and most others) don't seem to have to email forwarding. Places that offer email services seem to all be about storage space and POP accounts mostly. We use about 30-40 email addresses here but only 2 are actual pop accounts with very little in them. The rest are just forwards.

Kal

Kal,

I really don't understand how you set it up. Do you forward from one account to another within courtpalme.com domain?
Then they have to be separate accounts.
You can use (on most servers) "aliases", meaning you can have account AAA@curtpalme.com respond also BBB@cortpalme.com, CCC@curtpalme.com etc. But then all those emails go to this same mailbox, and I don't think there is Server which would do conditional forwarding based on aliases. At least I don't know of any.
You would have to access them using POP3 client and then you could set-up forwarding rules based on aliases associated with each account. That option exists in both Outlook and Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird and probably in others).

So what and how you are doing, whatever you are doing? Smile

Kris
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Check out IPower, mail forwarding is not a problem and setup is straight forward. Great support too. I have been with IPower for over five years.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, can someone yell at SORBS (www.au.sorbs.net) to unblack list us? That's who is still blacklisting my emails from my site to get to my Shaw addresses.

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Hey, can someone yell at SORBS (www.au.sorbs.net) to unblack list us? That's who is still blacklisting my emails from my site to get to my Shaw addresses.

Thanks!

Our hosting company submitted a request on Friday (August 7th) since I couldn't do it myself - it has to be done directly from the server.

I've asked them to do it again.

Are you sure that Shaw (your provider) uses SORBS Curt? Just curious.

Kal
(at a cottage somewhere with sporatic wireless access....) Smile

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, apparently SORBS is service made up of.. volunteers (!!!) so they are slow in taking blacklisted sites off... go figure.

Kudos to Shaw internet though today. I called within Canada with someone that could speak English! Zero wait time, the first line tech knew exactly what I was talking about (I sure didn't), I gave him our IP address, and he confirmed indeed that we were blacklisted, then told me about SORBS.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

Thanks!

Our hosting company submitted a request on Friday (August 7th) since I couldn't do it myself - it has to be done directly from the server.

I've asked them to do it again.

Are you sure that Shaw (your provider) uses SORBS Curt? Just curious.

Kal
(at a cottage somewhere with sporatic wireless access....) Smile

Hey you!! Off the computer, pop a beer and relax! You are on vacation! Shoo now. Go away Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.berger wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

Kal,

I really don't understand how you set it up. Do you forward from one account to another within courtpalme.com domain?
Then they have to be separate accounts.
You can use (on most servers) "aliases", meaning you can have account AAA@curtpalme.com respond also BBB@cortpalme.com, CCC@curtpalme.com etc. But then all those emails go to this same mailbox, and I don't think there is Server which would do conditional forwarding based on aliases. At least I don't know of any.
You would have to access them using POP3 client and then you could set-up forwarding rules based on aliases associated with each account. That option exists in both Outlook and Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird and probably in others).

So what and how you are doing, whatever you are doing? Smile

Kris

We don't have any POP mailboxes really. People write to (for example) <manufacturer name>@curtpalme.com and I simply forward the mail to my own external gmail account as well as the manufacturer's external email address. Nothing gets stored on our server. We have multiple sellers and support emails so there's about 30-40 email forwards set up.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're now off of SORBS's list so we're 99% in the clear. There's one last place that essentially blackmail's you for 50 Euro to get off the list. They keep everyone listed for 30 days before automatically expering which is absolutely horrible. Most places de-list you automatically after your IP stops spamming for a couple of days. The place is: http://www.backscatterer.org/?ip=206.225.23.5

Back to the beach.... Smile

Kal

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're on the coast somewhere. A landlocked mass of sand cannot rightfully be called a 'beach'.

THIS is a beach...:

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started getting emails again on Shaw.ca, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: