Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What do you mean we just changed servers ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: What do you mean we just changed servers ??? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I woke up to this email in my inbox today from my hosting company:

Quote:
Dear Valued Customer:

This email is to inform you that we have completed the migration of your account to a new server. Your new server ID is xxxxxxxx. You will login to your control panel the same way as you did before. Your site(s) are currently running on both servers to prevent any downtime during DNS propagation. Full propagation can take up to 24 hours.

All scripts that were moved retained the same path, permissions and ownership. If you are running a script that needs to be re-installed please contact us. Please login to your control panel to obtain your NEW IP address. FTP access to your old server has been disabled.

You'll know you are hitting the new server when you ping your domain(s) and the new IP is returned.Please verify that all of your sites/scripts are working correctly.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

The unfortunate part is that due to a snafu on their part I wasn't notified ahead of time of the move so we lost some forum posts this morning between the time they backed up the old server and then restored on the new. Had I known I would have disabled posting on the old so that people wouldn't lose any information.

And then there were a myriad of other small issues they needed to fix:

• .SHTM files weren't properly using includes so page headers/footers weren't showing up on the main site (hard to get around without menus!)
  • A patch to ingore case in URLs that was on the last server wasn't installed on the new one so that the page www.curtpalme.com/hdfury2.shtm was seen as different from www.curtpalme.com/HDFury2.shtm
  • A reverse DNS lookup patch that was on the last server also wasn't installed on our new one. Not that it mattered too much due to the next issue:
  • All emails sent to us were bouncing. Wink
  • The new IP (DNS) propagation didn't really get done. Everyone was still seeing the old server.
The biggest pain was the forum seemed down. Seemed to be due to a compatiblity problem with the forum software (phpBB v2) which is now at "end of life" and the new database software (mySQL v5 - we used to be on v4).

They wanted to upgrade our forum software from phpBB v2 to phpBB v3 but that could/would never work as I have almost 70 mods installed. The code is heavily modified. The code is nothing like the original code. We'd lose a TON of stuff. I also hate the look of phpBB v3 too so I'd switch to something completely different before going there.

So I poked around and found that the errors were due to mySQL having made a subtle change to how the SQL JOIN clause works between v4 and v5:

Quote:
[Prior to MySQL 5.0.12], the comma operator (,) and JOIN both had the
same precedence, so the join expression "t1, t2 JOIN t3" was interpreted
as "((t1, t2) JOIN t3)". In MySQL 5.0.12 JOIN has higher precedence, so the expression
is interpreted as "(t1, (t2 JOIN t3))". This change affects statements
that use an ON clause, because that clause can refer only to columns in
the operands of the join, and the change in precedence changes
interpretation of what those operands are.

So this query:
SELECT * FROM t1, t2 JOIN t3 ON (t1.i1 = t3.i3);
should be rewritten as:
SELECT * FROM (t1, t2) JOIN t3 ON (t1.i1 = t3.i3);

So I fixed the pages that I knew were a problem (the main forum index and the recent posts page were the only two I found). Done.

Sorry about the outage! What a pain!
The odd thing is that normally my hosting company's really on the ball. This time everything that went wrong did go wrong.

Let me know if you see any problems or have any issues, and sorry for the few lost posts from this morning!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "DOH!"

What a pain. I saw your DNS message in the morning, noticed later that the forum index wouldn't load, but that the subforums and threads would, so I actually went in and poked around and made a post or two just to see what would happen. Everything seemed to work for the most part. Of course, there were tumbleweeds rolling through... NOBODY was browsing anywhere.

Glad to hear it was the server migration and not my Cap & Trade thread that screwed up the forum! Wink

Keep up the good work, Kal!!!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum...down...

*twitch*

*twitch*

Great work Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys got your "fix" back! Smile

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
Forum...down...

*twitch*

I know! I didn't know what to do with myself during the brief moments of time I get here and there in my day when I need a break or I'm waiting for input or whatever. I had to just find something productive to do, even if it was only for 5 or 10 minutes.

It sucked!

Smile

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was telling a guy to email us. He did. Over and over and over. Laughing Then I saw the form message.

Then I actually went to work for real. What else is there to do when the forum goes down?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out of town all day. I blissfully knew nothing.. which changes not much from any other day. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: