Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Media player that switches resolution automatically?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Media player that switches resolution automatically? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My boss isn't a big PC geek, but I explained him that his best choice is a PC as a source for his NEC 9PG. He watches 16:9 and 4:3 content as well, and he has hard time when it comes to setting the proper resolution (basically toggling between 1024x768 and 1280x720). His screen's AR is 4:3, so pushing a 4:3 movie into the 720p preset isn't a good idea. I am curious if is there any PC media player software that detects the aspect ratio of the content and sets the output resolution regarding to this when it is played in full screen?

View user's photo album (1 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any media player that will automatically change resolutions (source direct). The Dune players will switch between frequency 24/50/60 automatically, but they will stay at 1080p no matter what the resolution of the source file is.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, refresh switching is a basic thing in all usable player. The resolution sensing wouldn't be a bad idea IMO, though it would be only usable with CRT projectors and monitors, maybe this is why it is so uncommon...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish that something like a media player of HTPC could be set to send out native resolution and refresh. It's highly frustrating. It would benefit anyone with a superior external VP, not just CRT. Oppo does it, but is limited in terms of file formats and not having any sort of media wall.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
fuchs

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my setup in 1280x840 @ 72Hz. This was, considering the do-not-use-full-tube-face in mind.
in 16:9 films, i do lose some bandwidth on black bars, but I've got the sides of the picture pretty close to the tube edge.
in 4:3 films, it won't get so close to the edges because the media player is scaling to 1120x840 to get the right AR.
This is still larger on screen than a 4:3-in-16:9 frame.
It's a bit of a in-between solution, but I'm not viewing that much 4:3 anyway.

akajester

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jriver media center does resolution and refresh rate switching dependent on the input video file.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Playback_Options

I use media portal for my front end to my barco 808s, using powerstrip to set specific timings. I don't do resolution or rate changes, however media portal will do on the fly resizing, zooming, etc. I typically watch media in it's native aspect ratio though, so I don't mess with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: