Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vutec Silverstar

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Vutec Silverstar Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone use this? Its a high gain (6) with no hot-spotting apparently...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way. From what I've heard SS is a very good screen surface, but a flat screen with gain higher than about 1.5 or 2 WILL hotspot and/or limit its prime viewing angle. Higher gain will hotspot more noticeably. That's just the way the optics work.

If SS does indeed have a gain of 6.0, it will hotspot very noticeably with a flat screen. Might make an awesome torus, except it's a rigidly-mounted material. Besides I'd say it's overkill. A gain of 3.0 is plenty for a torus.

See the review of SilverStar at ProjectorCentral.com. They said lots of good things about it, but their final statement tells the tale: "It is not in our view an appropriate choice for the typical home theater."
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i got the silverstar. turned up with a manufacting fault (raised bump, about 5 pixels wide and 4 pixels high).

very visible in some circumstances, invisible in most.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pix

P1010032.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.3 KB
 Viewed:  10649 Time(s)

P1010032.jpg

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I am not sure if there is any way to get rid of that bump. You might be able to heat it gently with a hair dryer and maybe take a rolling pin to it.

Gary,
Yes, it should hot spot and probably will, but I think the matte surface might help it a little. I know Tinman has one and loves it. I have noticed that there are a lot of people that put up with high gloss hot spotting screens and say there is nothing wrong with them. One guy over at AVS just said that his old Parkland was more vibrant or whatever than his Wilsonart DW. Wilsonart can be a crapshoot anyway regarding gloss, but this guy must be shooting some real gain with his Parkland. He said he prefers it. A friend in Miami shoots his crappy LCD pj onto a high gloss wall and says it looks good. I guess for some people it is just a matter of how big the image is not how good it is.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a piece of something underneath the surface layer.

our local vutec agent have been very accomodating though.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in the meantime have you been using it? What's the verdict?

Your Ruby has 800 ANSI lumens -- that's about 3x what any CRT delivers. I'm surprise you need/want that much gain. How big is it?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that picture the hot-spotting looks pretty severe
View user's photo album (2 photos)
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does'nt hot spot. there is no visible color shift either, unless you're at aan extreme angle.

the spot is apparent on certain scenes, mostly invisible until it SCREAMS on just the right material.

apart from that, the screen is WAY nicer than a dalite 1.5 gain. smooth, better contrast, way brighter whites.

i'm now running the ruby with its iris closed all the time, still getting a very bright punchy image, but with better contrast than before, and without the action of the iris (which i've only ever noticed once before, during the opening of "o brother, where art thou")

screen is only 7' wide, room wouldn't allow anything bigger.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know what it'll be like with crt, i gave away my other ECP earlier in the year, so no CRT in the house anymore to compare...
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

Laughing Thumbs Up
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

With a flash or a light on the surface, yes it would hot spot, but so would every screen on the market and every thing else. My wall has a hot spot with the lamp shining on it.
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> looks like a piece of something underneath the surface layer. <

I agree. And unless the substrate (backing material) is soft enough that you could push the particle back into it, you'll likely make it worse. Even if you manage to flatten part of the bump, that will leave the smaller spot with a more obvious edge.

> our local vutec agent have been very accomodating though. <

That's good to hear. This is obviously a manufacturing defect (unless someone rammed a sharp object into the back), and for what these cost they should certainly take care of it to your satisfaction. Gain materials emphasize any defects in the surface.

P.S. Also, while the gain is rated at 6, a review of these over at the A-Forum years ago indicated it was closer to 3+. It's a well-regarded screen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: