Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Panasonic BD-60 or BD-80 help with black levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Panasonic BD-60 or BD-80 help with black levels Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just got a brandy new Pani BD-80. I think it's really nice, has 5 channel analog out and a nice remote for a change. The one thing I can't seem to nail is the black level. there's a choice in the pic menu of "lighter or darker" sept darker isn't very dark. I'm not even getting close to what I know should be FFTB in betwen movie scenes. IT's not even like over-blown brightness, the screen looks almost blue-gray.
Anyone else familiar with these players? What setting am i not getting right?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Panasonic BD80 Reply with quote

I have the Panasonic BD55 which was the predecessor and very similar in looks and features to its successor, the BD80. You didn't mention how you have the player connected to your video display but the "lighter" and "darker" setting ONLY applies to component video. When it comes to black levels, one of the faults of this particular player is that in the "user" video adjustment mode, it only allows brightness levels to be increased but not decreased. That generally has to be done with your video monitor. If you haven't tried them already, one suggestion would be to try the factory default "picture mode" settings in the video adjustment menu. It is right next to the "user" adjustments. The "Cinema" setting will give you a darker picture with more intense color.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Panasonic BD80 Reply with quote

Ron W wrote:
When it comes to black levels, one of the faults of this particular player is that in the "user" video adjustment mode, it only allows brightness levels to be increased but not decreased. That generally has to be done with your video monitor. If you haven't tried them already, one suggestion would be to try the factory default "picture mode" settings in the video adjustment menu. It is right next to the "user" adjustments. The "Cinema" setting will give you a darker picture with more intense color.

thanks ron, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, i'm using HDMI out.
I'll try cinema mode. I think I have this set to "normal" now or some such thing and Full Fade to black just isn't happening. Even the letterboxes in 2.35:1 are a gray-blue color.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just want to update this thread, problem solved

draganm wrote:
I want to say how glad I am CJ started this thread. i've had my Panasonic BD-80 for months now and had no idea what "HDMI RGB output range" was or how it affected the pic.Last night I switched the output range from "standard" to "enhanced" and OMG , it was like a new projector. I thought my picture was great before but the FFTB and color saturation went up significantly.
FFTB was always something I had trouble with on this player and now I know why. There should be a sticky warning CRT users that the players factory default is sh*t.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: