Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Buy Oppo Blu-ray players! Help support the forum!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaximRecoil

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
From Oppo's site:

Quote:
Additional Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MKV, and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-83.

I wish that was more detailed, including what chip it uses to accomplish playback of MKV, as well as a complete list of all the formats it can play. I read elsewhere that it can play "Divx" files too, which generally means it can play all MPEG-4 ASP encoded files (Divx and Xvid being the two most popular encoders, AVI being the most popular container). It doesn't say what variety of MKV it can play. MKV is most popularly used as a container for MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) (usually used for HD content), but it can also be used as a container for MPEG-4 ASP (e.g., Divx, Xvid) (usually used for SD content). Some players that claim MKV compatibility can only play ASP encoded MKV, and not the far more popular AVC encoded ones, which is next to worthless.

If the Oppo BDP-83 can play all the commonly encountered computer video files (including MPEG-4 AVC encoded MKV); and if it has a user-friendly menu for navigating media files on an optical disc, flash drive, or hard drive, then it would seem to be the ultimate media player at this time, given its other features regarding standard Blu-Ray playback.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximRecoil wrote:
From Oppo's site:

Quote:
Additional Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MKV, and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-83.

I wish that was more detailed, including what chip it uses to accomplish playback of MKV, as well as a complete list of all the formats it can play. I read elsewhere that it can play "Divx" files too, which generally means it can play all MPEG-4 ASP encoded files (Divx and Xvid being the two most popular encoders, AVI being the most popular container). It doesn't say what variety of MKV it can play. MKV is most popularly used as a container for MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) (usually used for HD content), but it can also be used as a container for MPEG-4 ASP (e.g., Divx, Xvid) (usually used for SD content). Some players that claim MKV compatibility can only play ASP encoded MKV, and not the far more popular AVC encoded ones, which is next to worthless.

If the Oppo BDP-83 can play all the commonly encountered computer video files (including MPEG-4 AVC encoded MKV); and if it has a user-friendly menu for navigating media files on an optical disc, flash drive, or hard drive, then it would seem to be the ultimate media player at this time, given its other features regarding standard Blu-Ray playback.

Why not email them and ask?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Subtitle Shift function Added !!! Reply with quote

Oppo added the Shift subtitle function tot he latest firmware. I really needed this !! Awesome!!!

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-48-1224.aspx

BDP83-40-0925, the major changes included in this version are:

1)Blu-ray Disc compatibility improvement, especially for certain titles such as the European version of "Terminator Salvation", Indican's "The Wonder of It All", and "(500) Days of Summer" from Fox.
2)Subtitle shift feature. During playback, press and hold the "SUBTITLE" button to activate the function and then use up/down arrow buttons to move the subtitle. The shift position is saved in the "Video Setup" - "Display Options" section of the setup menu. This feature is useful for customers with 2.35:1 projection screens.
3)OSD position feature. The OSD (On-Screen Display) can be moved to work together with the subtitle shift feature. There is a new setup menu item in the "Video Setup" - "Display Options" section for this.
4)Auto mode for HDMI Audio format. The new "Auto" mode enables the player to use bitstream audio output for audio formats that are supported by the A/V receiver, and LPCM for formats that cannot be decoded by the A/V receiver.
Setup menu changes. Some items are re-grouped into the "Display Options" sub-menu under "Video Setup". Some items are re-ordered in the menu structure to improve the ease of use.
5)Experimental feature - home network streaming. This feature can be accessed from the "My Network" icon in the "Home Menu" screen. It requires a DLNA-capable media server running on your computer. The supported media types are the common set of what the player can decode and what the media server can stream.
6)Experimental Feature - BluTV. This is an interactive television service that will initially feature channels such as casual games, widgets and movie art. To use this feature, the "BD-Live Network Access" item in the "Network Setup" section and the "Secondary Audio" item in the "Audio Format Setup" section of the player's setup menu must be turned on.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Subtitle Shift function Added !!! Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
The shift position is saved in the "Video Setup" - "Display Options" section of the setup menu. This feature is useful for customers with 2.35:1 projection screens.

Or people with masking system....

If I wasn't an HTPC guy this would be the player to own....as Cliffy would say "fo sho".

Mike

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be a good place to post about the new BDP-80, or should that get its own thread?

If you only need to use it as a transport, it sounds like an amazing value!

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
Would this be a good place to post about the new BDP-80, or should that get its own thread?

If you only need to use it as a transport, it sounds like an amazing value!

I don't understand why they don't recommend it for theaters with large screens?? (I know they want to upsell to the 83 but still...that is stupid).
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that, too Greg. It's probably mostly the Anchor Bay scaling vs. whatever they're doing in the BDP-80 that makes it less suitable for big screen... That, and upselling everybody to the 83, like you said. I wouldn't think the scaling would matter that much if I'm running 1080p, or if I scale outboard...

It's hilarious, but it's almost like the Oppo folks read my post from last week...
ecrabb wrote:
You know... They did the BDP-83SE "Special Edition" with the upgraded audio and RS-232 control, and tacked on $400 for a total of $899... I wish they'd go the opposite direction and offer a stripped-down (hardware) version with no analog or SPDIF outputs at all... Just an HDMI output... Basically a BD "transport" so to speak. If they could do that and sell it for $299, I'd probably give it a try.

I wish it didn't have a plastic front, but I might have to try one, anyway. Maybe for my birthday or something.

I still think they should do a digital-only version with no analog circuits at all for those of us with HDMI processors... There are going to be more and more people with HDMI processors all the time.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are folks that are using one of the Oppo players doing so without an external video processor/scaler?

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing they don't recommend it for large screens partly because it doesn't have the ABT2010 processing for de-interlacing/upscaling DVDs. For BD playback it shouldn't matter either way.

I'm really surprised it has as many features as the BDP-83 does, most notably Source Direct - feeding an outboard VP with the raw decompressed video signal pretty much nullifies any video advantages that the 83 has over the 80. Unless you're feeding an AVR through the analog outs on the back, the 80 seems completely acceptable for audio.

I'm definitely not complaining, I just hope the don't hurt their BDP-83 sales by making the BDP-80 so fully featured. I am sure there are a lot of people out there who will be all over the BPD-80 though - I know I'll be getting one for the Pio plasma upstairs to replace my old Panny RP82.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad this forum, Costco, or Amazon ain't selling the Oppo BDP-80. Seems like a nice player to have for $289. No mention of region lock down, though.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan, I think it's a brand new player... I don't think it was even on their website a couple of weeks ago. They may not even be shipping it, yet. I assume in good time, that resellers who sell the 83 will also sell the 80.

Personally, I think I'll wait for a review before I pull the trigger.

SC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Wan, I think it's a brand new player... I don't think it was even on their website a couple of weeks ago. They may not even be shipping it, yet. I assume in good time, that resellers who sell the 83 will also sell the 80.

SC

its basicly the same as the BD83 with out the scaling. its more for the people who have Video Processors and do not need the scaling in the player.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

its basicly the same as the BD83 with out the scaling. its more for the people who have Video Processors and do not need the scaling in the player.

Athanasios

Actually, "Lexicon" plans on cloning this model too and offer it as their "budget" BD player for ONLY $2000!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, Ron.

Nashou66 wrote:

What scaling, you mean the vertical stretch for the scope guys? Do we know it's basically the same as the BD-83, but without the scaling? I can't believe the aluminum faceplate and Anchor Bay chip account for $210 at retail. The BD-80 is way thinner, totally different front and back panels, and obviously it uses a whole different video processor between the codec and HDMI output. So, it could be more different than the same. Who knows, yet? Oh, there's the "glow" remote on the 80 versus the backlit remote on the 83, too... That's another $20. Wink

It sounds great, and I like the price. I'll just definitely wait until there are some reports that verify that at 1080p/60, the performance is on par with the 83.

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the BDp-80 is is a rebadged Magnavox. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here is a beta users explination:

Also click on the review link in his review Wink

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17999181&postcount=278

rwestley wrote:
I have been one of the BDP80 beta testers for the past several months and I would like to add a few words about the BDP80. My setup consists of the BDP80, BDP83, A DVDO Edge, an Onlyo605, I also own a Pioneer BDP 51 and a Epsons 7500 projector. In most cases I use HDMI output source direct bitstream and let the Onkyo do the audio decoding.

I have compared the video output of both the BDP83 and BDP 80 going direct to the projector and also using source direct going through the Edge. On Blu-Ray disks bypassing the Edge I can not see any difference in quality between the 80 & 83. I can also not see any difference going from the BDP80 SD disks through the Edge to the projector. The difference comes when ones compares the 80 & 83 going direct and not using the Edge. Both the Edge and the 83 use the Abit chip and have the same upscailing qualities. The 80 as most know, does not have the Abit chip so there is a difference on SD disks on very large screens.
This is the reason for the big price difference. I am also happy to report that after using the BD80 for several hundred hours I have had very few issues. Nearly every disk I have tried plays fine. The big question for most is which machine should I choose. It really depends on the size of the screen, the number of SD disks one might have and plan to use and cost.

The BDP 80 is a great unit for those who don't have
1. A projector or very large set. I would say above 50 or 55 inches
2. If you own a good video processor
3. Plan to use mostly Blu-Ray disks
4. Want or need to save some money.

I would suggest the BDP83 for the following situations:
1. Owners of large sets or projectors who do not own external video processors
2. Owners of large SD DVD collections
3. If one needs or wants 1080/24 output for standard disks. (I think it is more of a problem than not with most sd disks. That may be the reason it is not available on the 80)
I have also seen posts about the plastic front on the BDP83. I did not even realize that it is plastic until I checked. It has a nice look and it is also slimmer than the 83. I have only test the audio outputs a few times on both players using component output. I have not been able to hear any difference.

Finally the most import thing for one to consider is if the best upscailing is needed for SD disks. If it is I would recommend the BDP83. In most other cases I feel that the BDP 80 will more that meet one's needs. I have had the pleasure to use it for the past months and since I also own the DVDO Edge it has become my primary Blu-Ray player.
The picture is great and it plays everything I have put into it. It is fast loading. and is very responsive. I don't know if the JVC or a few others machines beat it on loading times. If they do the difference would be very small and be a non issue for most. The menu setup is also very clear. The thing to consider is that with either Oppo unit you are getting a quality machine with amazing product support. If you have any questions we can now answer them. I know that there are cheaper players out there but I don't think one will find a better value. With Oppo units you don't have to worry about disks not playing, freeze ups, and all kinds of other Blu-Ray issues. You will also be getting the best support in the business and firmware upgrades as needed.

If one wants to see one of the best reviews see the job that Gonk did.

http://www.prillaman.net/oppobdp80_review.html

One Smart Dog!!!

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, Athanasios! I'm not going to do it right away, but it looks like the BDP-80 may very well be my next BD player.

SC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Thanks for posting that, Athanasios! I'm not going to do it right away, but it looks like the BDP-80 may very well be my next BD player.

SC

Thanks, right now on the visual side the BD83 and my LG BH200 are my favorite BD players i have had through my system.

Audio wise i love the analog 5.1 outs on my BH100.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

dpowell

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my BDP-83!
betel

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shopping for a blu-ray player and will probably get a BDP-83. Currently I use a PS3 Slim. I plan on moving the slim to my 50" Panasonic plasma. The BDP-83 will be connected to the G90.

Currently I stream Pandora radio through the Slim and I'll lose that with the 83. I don't care the 83 doesn't have wi-fi but no streaming? I guess I'll have to stream from my PC although I'd rather keep the PC out of the theater loop.

My Onkyo TX-NR906 can stream internet radio but it can't do Pandora which sucks. I think it is just firmware but no chance of that getting updated since Onkyo has moved on.

Is the BDP-83's lack of Pandora streaming just a firmware issue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: