Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony KP-65WV600 bad convergence IC

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F16wes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Sony KP-65WV600 bad convergence IC Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Sony KP-65WV600 that has developed a severe convergence problem on green only. I originally thought it was a result of one of the STK392-560 IC's failing on the D board but am now wondering if it could be something else because I am still able to adjust convergence on green in the service menus PJE mode. I have seen photos online of other people having these IC's fail and all 3 CRT's were affected but I only have issues with greens vertical. I do have the service manual and a picture of the issue so any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like some input before i really start tearing this thing apart. I would also like to point out that it has had all three CRT's replaced when it developed a flickering problem that was quite common when they first came out. Since then the TV has never really been perfect when it comes to geometry. I also noticed in the PJE mode the coarse centering adjustments seem to be set at an extreme level around -420 on all tubes to be exact.

Thanks

P.S. The service manual I have is for the 57 through 65 inch WV600 and WV700 KP series RPTV's its a 19.2MB PDF if anyone needs it ask and I can email it.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back after 2 months on the road. let me look this over and I'll post tomorrow.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I had some time to look this over and have some suggestions. First let me answer your questions. Now whatever suggestions I give are still not 100% because alot of things are involved and could cause problems. However it is a known fact that the STK's are a common failure part. So why is yours only 1 color instead of all 3 colors like in some searches you looked at? Here's why.

Each of the 2 ic's have 3 channels inside. Each channel is for a color and horz or vert signal. Example: 1 channel would be for red/horz. Another channel for red vert and so on. 1 color will have horz on 1 chip and vert on the other chip. So 6 channels gives you horz and vert for all 3 colors.

So now why is yours different with only 1 color affected. Both chips are supplied with power from the power supply, in your case + and - 19 volts. What happens most of the time is when 1 channel fails it will also blow the fuse in the power supply, thus causing no power to the chips at all and so all 3 colors will go wacky. If the fuse doesn't blow then only the 1 channel will be affected. Are you understanding so far? Smile

So where do you begin? What I see different in your model TV is that besides fuses in the power supply there are also fuses on the output of each channel. So what I would do first is check all the fuses that apply to geometry/convergence. These would be PS8001 thru PS8006 on the convergence/horz deflection board (D board) and fuses PS6503 and PS6504 on the power supply board (G board). Post back what you find. Have fun......... Smile
F16wes

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help I will check those fuses tonight but the past couple of days i have been fiddling with the tv and found that IC8001 is running hotter than IC8002 as I understand it from the service manual green verticle is on IC8001 so could the AD board be bad and causing the IC to clip since it is an amplifier for the convergence signal and the AD board provides the signal. No clue if im onto anything just a guess from an observation.
F16wes

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV is fixed now it was the IC's. I replaced both of the ones in question and now the picture is spot on.
CVinje

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16wes, I was wondering if you still had a copy of the service manual you referenced in the first post of this thread. I was going to PM you;however, I'm new to the forum and am not allowed. If you could PM me, I can get you my contact info or provide you with a space to upload the file or email it to me. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

CVinje
rwallmow

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVinje wrote:
F16wes, I was wondering if you still had a copy of the service manual you referenced in the first post of this thread. I was going to PM you;however, I'm new to the forum and am not allowed. If you could PM me, I can get you my contact info or provide you with a space to upload the file or email it to me. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

CVinje

From the looks F16 hasnt posted here since 2009, that said I found a few sources of said service manual with a google search (though most paid sites).

Here for example for $13.49 US http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/107432374-sony-kp57wv600-kp57wv700-kp65wv600-kp65wv700-service-manual

If you are determined to find it for FREE, keep searching, I didn't go any further than 1 page of results, nor did I turn to any illicit sites, but I bet if you are determined you will find it.

Good Luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: