Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Crestron Command Center CTP-3000ST,need help! - touch screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hell_Hound

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Crestron Command Center CTP-3000ST,need help! - touch screen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys, i'm pretty new to the forums but i noticed there was some crestron gear on here so i thought i may as well see if i can get some help.

I picked up this Crestron touch screen and i've seen it working with its controller (crestron cresnet IIMS) however the IIMS is now dead.... and i would really like to use the screen for anything, but what i mainly had in mind is for relay controls

i'm pretty upset that the main conroller is dead... and if i really am able to set it up then i'd concider buying a new one but i had a crack at the simpl stuff and i ended up with a headache >_>

Simply put all i'm after is a very easy way to switch some relays with a touch screen and also cheep, as this is the only touch screen i have i was wondering if someone could shed some light on how it talks to the main unit and if theres some way to use it without its other half.

Thanks

Hell_hound

PS. i have attached the pictures

any help would REALLY be great Smile

DSC_0006 (Custom).JPG
 Description:
screen turned on
 Filesize:  71.09 KB
 Viewed:  5523 Time(s)

DSC_0006 (Custom).JPG

DSC_0003 (Custom).JPG
 Description:
back
 Filesize:  114.8 KB
 Viewed:  5519 Time(s)

DSC_0003 (Custom).JPG

DSC_0002 (Custom).JPG
 Description:
front
 Filesize:  84.86 KB
 Viewed:  5518 Time(s)

DSC_0002 (Custom).JPG

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The touch panel is designed to send RS-232 commands to the controller. Unless you're an electrical engineer, it's really not practical to try to build or reverse engineer something to work with the touch panel... Even then, considering that you can probably find a replacement controller like the Cresnet IIMS for less than the price of a half-dozen relays alone... It just doesn't make sense to try to build something.

Here's a controller on fleabay for $25 plus s/h - probably $50 total:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330338684177

Half a dozen good relays will cost nearly half that - never mind all the other stuff!

There's a couple of great threads here all about programming the Crestron gear. Read up and make it do what you want!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Hell_Hound

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that advice, i'm going to look around for a replacement system however if anyone has anything else to add, i'm all ears

thanks once again ecrabb
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much programming you've done but they sure aren't as easy as the newer stuff, like the pro series. I have some spare IIms units. I could send you one if you pay for shipping. Shoot me a pm.
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Hell_Hound, you have one of the oldest panels out there however that leaves some good news in that the configuration software is built in the prom of the panel and you DON'T have to have any Crestron software to program the screens. Pretty much you Define Buttons and each button gets a 3 digit number 000-999, when you touch that button the RS232 port will output Sxxx (xxx=the assigned number) and when you take your finger off you get a Rxxx. You will need something to monitor the RS232 and convert to drive signals for relays. ECRABB was right that just getting another CNMS would be as cheap as anything DIY and if you follow the Programming thread you can do much more!

Hope that helps,
JM

Last edited by jmayes on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
akajester

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a cnmsx-pro that I'll be sending to him for shipping to AUS. That should work pretty well I hope!
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, their aint anything the CNMSX-Pro can't do. That's the very unit I use. Way to go Smile

JM
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmayes wrote:
Heck, their aint anything the CNMSX-Pro can't do. That's the very unit I use. Way to go Smile

JM

It won't run 2 series hardware and a little birdie told me that a PRO 3 with 3 series hardware is coming soon.

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: