Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Setting-Up Used Sony 1272Q: I Have Stupid Questions!!! :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Does my raster coverage on the tubeface need to be exactly 4:3 for me to have an accurate projected image?

Okay, I'll order the DVD tomorrow morning!
imprez25

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be the same ratio as your screen. However, most people will try to get the raster centered and then a rough idea of the horizontal size set by looking at the tube face. Then they move the projector to the location that fills the screen's width. From there we adjust the vertical height of the raster to fit the screen. Keep in mind though that if your rasters are completly maxed out the keystone and convergance adjustments may move the raster off the tube face. So, you may have to set the width a couple of times before you get it right on (I typically look into the lenses instead of removing them, but that's just how i do it Wink ).

Good call on ordering the video. Graham coveres the whole geometry thing fairly well. He and his helper go through and show you how to measure the projected image to make sure you are getting "perfect" geometry.

Another resource, I'm sure you have read, but I thought I would mention it is the "mooneyass" article (I think that's how it's spelled?) It is a very good write up on how to set up these projectors. Plus it introduces some custom tweeks for increased corner focusing abilities.

Edit: here is the mooneyass article it's worth the read: http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/Sony_1270Q_CRT_Projector_Setup_Manual_April.pdf
prover

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi atotaldoofus,

I would suggest you look for someone nearby to help you manage the first setup. I suppose this could be very helpful for you. Articles like the one from mooneyass are very good but consider that some of the procedures described there aren't so simple and harmless as they seem (e.g. astigmatism adjustment). Therefore let someone help you if you don't feel comfortable handling with lethal voltages and so on.

prover

jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Thumbs Up
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

Okay, I am making some good progress now - hampered only by the fact that I still haven't gotten a screen! I'm just having a tough time finding one to fit my needs. Sad

Anyhow -
My blue seems VERY blurry despite my adjustment of the wingnuts on the lens apparatus. I suspect that I need to turn the wee little knob that blue has for electric focus. But the manual says "DO NOT EVER TOUCH THIS KNOB!" because it means that I'll have to readjust the white balance.

But if I do Curt Palme's tweak using the voltmeter, will that result in sufficient correction of the white balance, such that I can afford to experiment with this knob?

Sorry for asking another question, but this seems like the kind of thing not likely to be covered by the video.

Also, my blue seems to flicker just slightly every once in a while. That can't be good! What could the problem be?

Thanks!
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this My replacement? Smile

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what you mean, sorry. Sad
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be the last person to tell someone to slow down. But you are going really fast at this. The people here can only guess at your abilities, myself included. It might be a good idea to have someone familiar with your machine at least look at it with you so you don't accidently touch something dangerous.

I did have someone show me the basics on my Marquee 9500 within the first 2 weeks of owning it. I am moving to fast for the comfort of many people here. And it looks like you are going to replace me with that distinction.

My response is a jovial take it easy..... Smile

atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm taking it easier now - but I don't see how my latest questions are too weird. Sad
The blue looks blurry also on the tube face, even before it's projected. I just don't know if that means I have a serious problem. Sad
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atotaldoofus wrote:
I think I'm taking it easier now - but I don't see how my latest questions are too weird. Sad
The blue looks blurry also on the tube face, even before it's projected. I just don't know if that means I have a serious problem. Sad

Your questions aren't weird. It's that what your asking about with the magnetic focus is near very high voltages. As no one knows if your a person who has rebuilt stereos or ham radios and understands the inherent risks, OR is a person who uses butter knives to try to install electrical outlets on a live circuit. Confused

I am not familiar with your machine, I am barely familiar with my Marquee 9500 on what NOT to touch to get ZAPPED.

The voltage in my Marquee is 34,900 Volts enough to KILL.

I suspect you 1272 is very close in voltage. Please be very, very, careful.

I can not answer your specific questions, I just don't know, others can but a leary of telling you something that can KILL you if done incorrectly.

Please understand I am not trying to insult you, I and everyone who is trying to help is concerned for your safety, not if you will damage the machine so much, but you. Neutral

Everyone that is helping you has helped me and said the same things to me repeatedly, always go slow you'll get there, and they still are saying those same things to me in other threads. I believe it to be genuine concern for me, not just getting on a newbies back for fun or to just try and reign you in.

So take it as you like, but the people here are looking out for you, not just trying to slow you down.

Dave

atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! Smile Thanks for your helpful attitude and kind words!

I have contacted someone who does not live too far away, maybe he can help. Smile

My funds and my living space are more limited than most peoples' so that accounts for some of my anxiousness. I can't really arrange my living room until the projector setup is finalized, and if the blurriness and jitter in my blue tube is indicative of a serious problem than that means I need to start factoring in the time and expense it will require ASAP.

Curt's guide makes it sound like the voltage adjustments aren't too dangerous; the knobs are plastic, and a voltmeter doesn't seem too complicated to use so long as you put it right where it needs to go and hold it by the rubber handle. I think I'll be okay! I just don't know how it all relates to the blue adjustment, since the manual is so clear about not touching it.
dturco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. Thumbs Up

After someone[ Phisin-ca] showed me the basics it was much easier to get a grip on the functions of the remote commands and physical alignment of the lenses.

Seeing a set-up or review done by anyone who has an inkling on that machine is invaluable to the learning curve.

Good Luck Wink

jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your 1272 have the thick black wire from the LVPS to the ground screw on the fan? If so, your G2 voltage needs to be at 1.5volts instead of 4volts.
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JKruger! Smile

I thought that the way to tell was if your tubes were MP then they needed 4 but if they were just P then they needed 1.5? Anyhow, I'm just not familiar enough with what you're saying to give you an answer, sorry. There are like five fans on this thing! Smile

Speaking of the fans, the small one that's in the long heatsink in the center is very noisy. I think I'll have to open it up and squirt some mineral oil in or something!
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced mine with one from radio shack for about ten bucks but lubing it might work also.
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two fans on the top and one of them should have the black wire attached to one of the screws if yours is the later model.
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Whoops, JKruger already answered in another post! Hang on...

Okay, thanks for the tip! Yeah, it definitely has a big black wire attached to one of the screws on the fan, and that black wire runs down between the green and red tubes. Smile

Well that's an enormous help! Mr. Green If I hadn't known that, then my settings would be way off! Thanks very much!

Last edited by atotaldoofus on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LVPS is the power supply that you pulled out to get to the lens screws. Low Voltage Power Supply
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JKruger, just posting to let you know that I edited my last post to reply to you. Smile Thanks again!

I can't really do much more adjustment until it gets dark since I don't have very opaque curtains/blinds. Smile But tonight I'll see if the electronic focusing of the blue is out of whack. I still worry about its being blurry on the tube face though - I can't find any information about what might be the cause of that. I hope it doesn't mean it's broken!
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue is sometimes defocused to get a better picture. I was happier with it slightly blurry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: