Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Setting-Up Used Sony 1272Q: I Have Stupid Questions!!! :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Also, just to make sure we;'re talking about the same thing:
when I speak of tweaking the raster but not knowing which buttons/functions do this, I'm talking about the part of the process where I have the lenses off and am looking directly at the tubes to try to get as much of them used as possible.

Are you guys still sure that is done with LIN and SIZE functions? Reading the manual it really seems like that's done with the screen, through projection...
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
This is actually incorrect. You maximize the raster on the tube face first and then move projector to fit screen..... Smile

Yep, that would make more sense. In my case the pj had been up and running and this part was already done, so I never had to bother much with this Wink
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

So I've received two different directions when it comes to which control is used to move the raster on the tube face. Unless someone new pipes in to clarify which is the right one I guess I'll just experiment and hope for the best. Razz I'm still not really clear on how to get that criss-cross pattern that is in all the guides - I know it's a test pattern, and I see how to get to it, but I don't know how to keep it onscreen while I'm adjusting the stuff on the raster.

Lots of other questions too still outstanding. I guess I'll go try asking AVS. Smile

Thanks again, bye for now!
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to slow down and pay attention. You say you have read the manuals yet you ask questions that are in the manuals. I suggest you reread everything and LEARN IT before doing anything else.
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a lot of people are just assuming that what I'm asking in the manuals just on the basis of a quick glance at my post rather than a real read of it. I've already spent two posts explaining how my questions aren't covered in the manual and how, if they are, they are covered in a manner so vague that I have no idea what they're trying to tell me.

If you don't feel like being helpful, that's fine, nobody here owes me any of their time - but it seems silly to waste your time by posting a reply WITHOUT being helpful. Razz

It's really getting pretty ridiculous at this point. Smile I don't think it's possible for people who share your sentiment to have actually read my questions.

I don't get why anyone would tell me to re-re-re-re-read things I obviously don't understand instead of just helping me ot understand them. As you already saw, the manual says NOTHING about those various wires - if you hadn't told me about the screw and the clips, I'd have NOTHING to go on.

And plenty of other questions still stand which definitely aren't covered in the manual at all. Nobody seems to feel inclined to helping out with those which makes even LESS sense if you sincerely believe that the manual has the answers to my OTHER questions.
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, some of your questions are not covered in the factory manuals. You might find more answers to different topics by using the search feature here. There is a lot of information here that you have not found yet. You have one of the best projectors for a beginner to start with and seem to have better than average intelligence. I'm only suggesting that you slow down and absorb the info available here.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atotaldoofus wrote:
What should my contrast and brightness settings be while I'm adjusting the raster on the tube face? That is to say, when I'm looking only at what the tube face is like and NOT at a projection.

You can crank contrast down a little to view the tube face if you want, but it's not critical one way or the other. If you bump brightness up, you can usually see the actual raster. Make sure the corners don't extend off the tube face.

atotaldoofus wrote:
Are you guys still sure that is done with LIN and SIZE functions? Reading the manual it really seems like that's done with the screen, through projection...

Yes, you use the SIZE control and the grid/crosshatch pattern. Make it as big as you can get it without getting too close the edge of the tube, put the lens on, and move the projector around until the image is on the screen.

It's going to take a few iterations. You can't just do one step, do the other, and you're done. You may find after you get the raster sized and the lens back one, that you don't have enough keystone. If you dial in enough keystone, you may find that the raster is slightly too large, and have to reduce the size a little.

atotaldoofus wrote:
So I've received two different directions when it comes to which control is used to move the raster on the tube face.

No, you haven't received two different directions. You were told that the "SIZE" control moves the raster, and that the "RGB SIZE" control moves the displayed image within the raster. You won't be using the "RGB SIZE" control until after you've done a full setup. That controls the displayed image AFTER the machine already setup. I'm over-simplifying, but that's the gist.

In spite of what everybody here is telling you, you may want to just use a standard throw like is in the manual, and learn to do a basic setup. Then, once things start making a little sense, do it again. You get better at it each time. Once the physical setup (the position of the projector relative to the screen) is nailed, the fifth or sixth time you do a setup, it'll look pretty good! Wink

Finally, the reason people aren't answering all your questions is because all your questions are answered 100 times over already. If you'd have spent half the time you've spent writing questions and actually used the search function, you'd have found probably in the ballpark of a dozen threads and 100 posts or more with information directly relating to your questions. That's precisely why people are telling you to slow down and do some reading.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC, Thanks for stepping in. I'm going to bed. 5:00am comes too soon for an old man like me.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob! I'm still at work, and HATING the project I'm working right now. Diversions like this slow me down, but also keep me from opening a vein or walking into traffic to make it all stop. Wink

5am... That's probably what time I'll be GOING to bed this morning. I'm glad I have a job, but I'm really hating it right now.

SC
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, that particular thing is making a little more sense now.
Anyway, it's silly to stay here and try to convince you that yes I've done searching and the problem is that I get upwards of 20 pages of links to threads about wide-ranging subjects, each with multiple pages, and that the few I've managed to work through completely ended-up mentioning my search words usually in an indirect fashion.

Amidst the hundreds and hundreds I found two that were kind of helpful: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572&highlight=1272+raster
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5430

But they still don't make a lot of sense to me since I don't know what menu/mode I have to be BEFORE I do them and then how I close them down/save them away once I've done what they instruct.

That's the most I've been able to get out of an hour or two of searching and reading threads that seem almost random in their relation to any of the terms I use in my search. It's definitely faster by far to just ask my questions here - that is, until you factor in the protracted length of time it takes for people to stop telling me to read something I've read and don't understand and then finally, after I prod them enough, get around to typing out the one-or-two lines of information that they could've typed at any time previously, thereby wasting further hours of EVERYONE's time because they were trying to teach me a lesson about reading instead of just trying to help me with this problem so I can understand CRTs better and get mine working.
It's yet another ridiculous example of people putting their peculiar morality above pragmatic progress; we've got lots of trouble in the world because most people seem to be on that kick.

Anyway, forget about it all, this is pretty useless. Nevertheless, thanks for what useful information you did choose to impart, it has gotten me a little further along.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty damn rare that I ever see anybody requesting help be so critical at the same time. I haven't counted, but you must have written at least twice as many sentences bitching about people asking you to read as people have actually written telling you to read. Have you considered that perhaps your communications aren't as clear as you believe them to be?

Here's the deal, if you can stop whining about people asking you to read long enough to actually ask about whatever it is you still don't understand, I'd be glad to help. If you're going to lecture us on "morality above pragmatic progress", then good luck over at AVS and reading the manual.

Now, I'll try one more time. I'm not sure what you're unclear on, but I'll guess. I thought the manual was fairly straightforward on getting into service mode, on adjusting registration controls, and on toggling test patterns. You hold the "TEST" key down for 5-6 seconds, and the 1272 should ask if you want to enter service menu mode. Press the "UP" key - I think it is - to confirm. Once you're in service mode, you can pretty much use the process in the manual for centering the raster (CENT and ZONE 1 or 0 - can't remember - they do the same thing), SIZE to adjust raster size, LIN to adjust linearity, and so on. It's a step-by-step process, and should be done in order. Once you're finished, press the "MEMORY" key once to save to the current memory location (with no external input - which is how you should be doing setup - that would be the 480p location). If you press and hold the memory key for a second or two, you should get a prompt along the lines of "SAVE TO ALL MEMORIES" or along those lines... That will save the geometry and convergence settings to all memory locations. Usually, you'd do that after you were completely finished with geometry and convergence. Then, you can input a signal, and do further adjustments specific to that signal, and use the single "MEMORY" press to save only to that memory location.

As for your other questions...
atotaldoofus wrote:
1) What to do about a case in poor condition when one does not want to immediately replace it
2) Which specific controls on the Sony 1272Q relate to the adjustment of the raster
3) The Dynamic Contrast feature unique to the Sony 1272 and its variants
4) The strange tilts that I see and what they might be due to
5) Removal of the lenses in order to clean them and to look at the tubes behind them on my particular model of projector
6) The nature of spacer adjustment on a Sony 1272Q projector

1) Take it off and power-wash, clean with softscrub, dry, reinstall. If it's trashed, then you can sand, prime, and spray paint. Should be a few threads on the subject.
2) I think we've answered this one, but it they're essentially all related to the raster... SIZE, LIN, SKEW, KEY, BOW, PIN - all the controls along the bottom of the control panel/remote - they all affect raster geometry.
3) Can't remember on this one - never touched it on my 1271. There has been a few discussions on the subject, IIRC.
4) Not sure what you mean by "tilts". Horizontal? Vertical? Is the machine level? Have you zeroed out the controls for skew, keystone, etc?
5) There are 4 screws on each lens. Loosen them. They stay attached to the lens mount. You'll need to loosen the two screws that hold the LVPS into the front of the chassis and slide the LVPS part-way out to access the bottom sets of screws toward the inside of the machine. Remove lens. Clean with clean soft cloth and distilled water. Reinstall.
6) There are two things people call spacers. One are the aluminum bars that control lens toe-in. This adjustment angles the red and blue lenses in and out to compensate for larger or smaller screens and allows centering of the rasters on those outside tubes. Search for "spring mod" (or it may be on the 12xx page) for infinite adjustability. The other are lens spacer rings. These are "Scheimpflug" rings and will compensate partially for the tube face not being parallel to the projection plane (screen). It's designed for a very specific vertical offset (relative to the screen), and if you deviate from that, you'll be able to focus the top of the screen, but not the bottom (or vice-versa).

That should get you started.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thread with a post I wrote awhile back that outlines the process. That might help, too.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10639

The OP never even came back. Hopefully, you get some use out of that post.

SC
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the point now where I am watching what I do on the raster and understand resetting data and saving data, but the factory default text image on the tube is heavily skewed so that the bottom looks much smaller than the top. Manipulating the "skew" controls alone cannot correct this. I can proceed by making the one "normal" sized edge at top as long as it can be, and judging where the vertical edges will go based upon where they connect to that line, but I can't get a total idea of the extent to which the raster will cover the tube face at this point.

Is is dangerous to proceed like that, or can I go on, get the lenses back on now, and then handle what comes by examining the projection and using the other controls, as you instructed in your last post? I'd just assume that was okay to do except in all the pictures I find online in guides detailing this part of the procedure, all of their test patterns appear even, whereas mine is not.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's keystone - KEY... That corrects for the projector being so far off-center vertically from the screen (either on the floor or ceiling). If the image were square on the tube face, it would be a big trapezoid on the screen, unless the projector were perfectly centered on the screen (usually, that would be about 4' off the floor - which, doesn't exactly work for most people.)

Here's the deal... The controls sort of work in pairs... SIZE and LIN sort of work together, KEY and SKEW sort of work together, and PIN and BOW sort of work together. Each control complements the other to correct the geometry.

So, no - you can proceed. As long as the active image area - in your case the test patterns - don't extend off the tube face for any significant length of time, you'll be OK.

You know, I think the whole "take the lenses off and maximize the rasters" thing is just confusing you right now. Ideally, it's the best way to set up a projector to maximize resolution and tube longevity... But, right now, while you're still just learning the controls and how it all works, I think it's a bunch of mental overhead you don't need.

For now, you might just want to set the machine up according to the manual. You'll want to put the machine about where the manual says it should be, but probably about a foot or so closer - maybe less. That should get you in the ballpark. I'll have to look to be sure, but for reference, I think my 12xx's throw from screen to green lens was about 10'. So, it's about a 1.2x relationship between screen width and throw... i.e., the projector should be ~120" from a 96" or 100" wide screen.

SC
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks again! Thumbs Up

Yeah, it is confusing having the lenses off - but I Really wanted to get a look at the tubes to see how I could work with/around the existing wear patterns.

In any case, luckily, none of them SEEM so severe that they'd cause SIGNIFICANT trouble if I just used the whole tubeface.

My projector is mounted within five inches of the recommended distance, give or take. Smile

Also, the projector itself is about even with the very bottom of the projected image at any range - but it seems kind of like the lenses are already angled up just slightly anyway.

So, just to make sure I understand this right - SIZE and ZONE are pretty much all I need to worry about now, so long as I'm not skirting the edge of the tube face. Leaving myself about an eighth of an inch of room in all directions around the raster on the tubeface, I should be safe putting the lenses back on now and then taking care of further convergence/focusing on the final projection surface?

If so, that's awesome news - I kept going through all these pages in the manual with so many different procedures, I was worried that this project was going to be something of the same magnitude as rebuilding a classic car or something. Razz

Okay, thanks for your patience, I just don't get a lot about tech stuff right away. I think all the pieces are starting to fall into place now that I'm understanding the connections between different functions.

It was just super-confusing at first because I read the CRT Primer and the Definitive Setup Guide - and then when I got into the manual, there were so few obvious links between it and the guides I had just read. The guides are kind of abstracted from the precise procedure that I'm expected to go through, and also they're written in "everyman" talk, as opposed to the technical jargon in the manual -- that's what threw me for a loop.

I've gone ahead and switched on the button for "DYNAMIC PIC" because the manual says it enables "high quality contrast." I like quality, so....! We'll see what happens. Smile

Sorry for being kind of defensive, but projects frazzle me sometimes, and I was starting to worry that I was never going to figure this thing out - which was a really bif downer because CRT projectors seem so cool to me!

I can't afford all these plasma and LCD and laser TV's and all that - and then here's CRT which looks better and is cheaper by a ton! I just didn't want to miss out on that. Smile

Okay, sincerely: thank you guys! I think my brain's finally starting to catch up to this stuff. I just hope that I can get it setup a wee bit sharper than the last owner did!

I'll go buy some blackout cloth today or tomorrow! Smile
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Okay, thanks again!

I've gotten a bit further now, but I'm hung up on one problem that's preventing me from getting my raster/tubeface ready-enough that the lenses can be put back on.

There seems to be a HUGE segment of black space, both above, below, and on the left side, that, when I try to extend the raster into, it just disappears. So It's like - I have extra room on the tube face, but when I try to put the raster there, it just gets sucked "under" the black, so that the test pattern, instead of moving into that new area, just disappears as it moves into it.

Weird, huh?

I tried resetting "BLKG" to Factory Defaults, but that only had an effect for the bottom section - the top and left still refuse to be opened up. In fact, clicking BLKG, then trying to increase its size with the arrow buttons, only input for increasing the bottom seems to be accepted - any other button apart from the one that opens it received the "not applicable!" message.

Hmm....... I don't know what the heck is up here! Sad
imprez25

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a solid tutorial of how to set up a crt projector I recommend getting Graham Johnson's Setup video. It helps clarify a lot of vocabulary while watching a great crt tech setup a projector that is similar to your 1272 ( a 1292). Before I bought my 1272 I had never even seen a crt projector in person, so I was truly clueless, but I spent the money on Graham's setup disc and it combined with this forum helped me to the point where I can set my 1251 (Yes I down graded projectors due to worn tubes on the 1272 to a virtually new 1251q for only $50) from full factory 128 default in about 30 minutes. The setup dvd is worth the money.

Also to reinforce a previous comment, be prepared to do several setups. You will not get it 100% the first time out. CRT's have a learning curve and it will take you at least 5-10 setups to get to a point where you won't feel it necessary to make convergence corrections mid movie. But rest assured that a time will come when you wont need to make corrections... you'll just feel like you should be making them. Smile
atotaldoofus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Imprez! Thanks! Yeah, I saw the link for that video - and I'm gonna get it! Smile

I was just hoping to at least get the raster's the right size on the tubeface so that I could get the lenses back on, for now. Once I get past that point, I'll buy that video, take a break to study it, then see what I can do.

Forget all my other questions, really - I just want to get the raster sorted out! But now I'm having trouble because, as I said, I just can't get it to scale properly cuz it seems like half the tubeface is determined to be black. Sad
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you seeing the blanking lines move when you use the BLKG control? Can you see the numbers? Are you using the up/down buttons regardless of which side's blanking you're adjusting? I can't remember if they all go to zero, or if some go to zero and some to 255, but I believe they should all go to MIN when the blanking is fully retracted.

Also, don't worry too much about vertical size. Unless you were going to project a square image, you'll only be using about half the vertical height of the tubes, anyway. The image should be centered, but you'll definitely have large black bars at the top and bottom for a 16:9 screen, and smaller bars for a 4x3.

Don't worry about the height, anyway. Just make sure the crosshatch is centered, and that it's not too close to the sides anywhere - 1/4" is good. Put the lenses back on and play around. It'll start making more sense once you see the projected image.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and another vote for Graham's DVD... It's excellent for sure.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: