Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Color adjustment with Lumagen HDQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Color adjustment with Lumagen HDQ Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I would like to know what is best to use to adjust primaries :
- the gamut color (adding red, blue and sub green for the green color for example)

or (and ?)

- the color and hue values (colred and huered for example).

After reading posts about it, I am not sure about the ratio for the Y value (also called luminance if I remember correctly):
is it 21% or 25% of the white value for red, 71% or 75% for green and 8% or ??% for blue? What about cyan, magenta and yellow?

My last question is : once the primaries are correct, how to adjust secondaries without too much disturbing the primaries Wink ?
Citation4444

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the gamut controls available after enabling the service menu.

My experience with the HDQ is that only relatively mild corrections are possible before totally screwing up color decoding. On my DLP projector (with very over-saturated G and R) if I completely correct the primaries the secondaries are screwed up so much there is no way to bring them back in line with the decoding controls. It works ok with small changes to the primaries and then touching up the secondaries. That's all it was meant to do as the HDQ had hardware limitations that didn't allow a full CMS implementation like that in the RadianceXD (and XE). We were lucky to get even that, IMO, as it's not often a manufacturer adds features to mature products like the HDQ. So, even though the CMS has limitations, Lumagen is to be commended for doing it at all.

While the HDQ's CMS leaves something to be desired, its grayscale calibration features are outstanding and work really well.

Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slight problem with the blue color: if I want to set it with the gamut, I will need to reduce green. How I do that with ADDG ADDR and SUBB?
Citation4444

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corleone88 wrote:
I have a slight problem with the blue color: if I want to set it with the gamut, I will need to reduce green. How I do that with ADDG ADDR and SUBB?
You can't. The HDQ CMS (and every other I'm familiar with) require that you start with a gamut wider (outside of) than the gamut you are calibrating to. That's the way they work, by adding the other primaries to move the x,y coordinates in. You can reduce the brightness of the color, but you can't take away. There are some optical methods (filters or coloring the glycol) that might do this, but I'm not familiar enough with them to advise about them.

Are you absolutely sure you have a meter capable of accurately measuring the primaries?? If I recall you have a Display2. I would not trust this meter when making gamut measurements. And, blue is a tough one to measure because the luminance is really low. I would recommend adjusting your grayscale to your liking and leave the primaries alone.

Bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: